PDA

View Full Version : Counterglow game of the year voting comments.

Funkodrom
16-12-2002, 09:52:25
Didn't want to clutter up the voting thread.

Honourable mentions to Laser Squad Nemesis and Guitaroo Man which was in the top 3 until I bought Tony Hawks 4 yesterday.

Tony 4 could well have been higher in the list if I hadn't only had it for a weekend before voting.

maroule
16-12-2002, 10:06:53
1/ I didn't vote Total War to enrage Venom, although it's always a pleasure to do so. MTW is actually the best medieval wargame I ever came across.

2/ Somehow I can only remember the games I played towards the end of the year. Jedi Outcast (xbox) and Medal of Honour (PC) could also make it but Halo was simply the best shooter/action game I came across. This is the only game that could have brought me to further contribute to Bill G. retirement fund.

3/ The voting will probably be very heterogeneous, as we all seem to game on all the platforms availables.

Vincent
16-12-2002, 10:11:54
Battlefield 1942 - Nice, not too complex, not a long boring seen 1000 times before story in SP mode

Dungeon Siege - Good graphics, nice gameplay. Best Diablo II clone so far, not a long boring seen 1000 times before story in SP mode

Age of Mythology - Damned. This is a copy of a copy but it still works. I think the Mythological units work better than the Warcraft III manga-fantasy stuff.

Funkodrom
16-12-2002, 10:26:08
On the ones I did vote for it's roughly gone on how long I've spent playing each game.

1/ PES2 - no matter what version number we are on ISS or Pro Evo Soccer has been the game that I've played most almost every week since I got the first one.
2/ Warcraft III - haven't had time to play it for a while but it's the first RTS I've played a lot of MP for literally years. Great fun and fast and furious enough for me not to get bored, even with my incredibly short gaming attention span. Has literally eaten up whole weekends. First game to do that for a long time.
3/ Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4 - So addictive that someone trying to get the controller from you before you complete a goal feels similar to someone trying to take the one ring from Gollum. Tony 3 was good, this is brilliant. The single player is awesome, and I don't typically play much single player. Plus it has Iron Maiden and NWA on the soundtrack. :D

Funkodrom
16-12-2002, 10:29:20
At the moment Battlefield 1942 is in the lead with 8, then Neverwinter Nights and PES joint second on 6

TAZ
16-12-2002, 10:35:01
I went for some oldies but goodies as I haven't bought anty games this year - I need a new PC to run them on first...

Funkodrom
16-12-2002, 10:36:07
I thought the games had to be released this year?

Nav
16-12-2002, 10:36:30
Mafia very nearly made it into my top 3, but I had to concede to Jedi Knight II, that rocked.

Should we make some rule re: editing voting posts? (to stop cheating?)

Nav
16-12-2002, 10:38:10
Originally posted by Funkodrom
I thought the games had to be released this year? that's the idea, we can just ignore taz. :D

Funkodrom
16-12-2002, 10:40:22
Originally posted by Nav
Mafia very nearly made it into my top 3, but I had to concede to Jedi Knight II, that rocked.

Should we make some rule re: editing voting posts? (to stop cheating?)

Nah, if we were going to do that then we should have had a secret ballot. If someone changes their vote they just need to give a good reason.

Vincent
16-12-2002, 10:44:46
I want to change my vote to

1. Pong
2. Night Driver
3. Tank Battle

maroule
16-12-2002, 10:47:05
for Taz

1. Cluedo
2. Mastermind
3. Monopoly

Vincent
16-12-2002, 10:48:33
1. chess
2. see 1
3. chess again

Funkodrom
16-12-2002, 10:49:32
1. Kerplunk
2. Hungry Hippos
3. Buckaroo

OldWarrior_42
16-12-2002, 10:55:43
1) Marbles
2) Pitching quarters
3) Red Light Green Light

:D

King_Ghidra
16-12-2002, 10:58:38
Well i've already eulogised about bf1942 in my review, and i hardly need declare my undying love for the iss/pes series again, but i might as well say why i picked NWN for my top spot. Actually it's quite hard to descriv why NWN is so good, because the eseence of the game is that the power is in your hands. The single-player was great, but really that is jsu incidental to what has been achieved with the game engine itself. The toolset is so brilliant, finally bringing the world of paper and dice RPG's into the computer world - by that i mean that finally players can use their own imagination to create adventures, and i found that creating adventures was as fun as playing them (sad as that may sound). The way that the game can be DM'ed on the fly is brilliantly implemented too. In short, if you don't enjoy NWN you only have yourself to blame because bioware have put everything in there to let you make it whatever you want.

Honourable mentions: Virtua Fighter 4, GTA III, Jedi Knight 2

BTW, didn't we decide that tony hawks 3 was last year??

Funkodrom
16-12-2002, 11:00:10
Own Goal. I voted for THPS4

Beta1
16-12-2002, 11:06:50
GTA3 at number 1 - no contest. Nothing has been quite so addictive this year.

JK2 at number 2 - Would have been no 1 any other year. Absolutely the best star wars game ever.

Total war at 3 - Unlike Venom there are some people who like it.

NWN was tempting BUT for all the toolset bells and whistles when it comes down to it the single player game is not as good as Baldurs Gate2. The decision to abandon the traditional 6 member party in favour of the 1 player, 1 henchmen and a few summoned criters may work in multiplayer but it stops the single player game being as good as it could be. So NWN just misses out.

CMBB also just misses out. While only CMBO comes close to it for detail, accuracy etc again I feel its lost something in the move up from CMBO. I dont know whether theres just too much detail there now, or whether its just the extremes of the russian front but it doesnt have the same magic as leading a allied airbourne assault on normandy or ambushing a platoon of shermans with a group of Panthers

OldWarrior_42
16-12-2002, 11:08:24
I only vorted for 2 games. It has been a rough year for me, gamewise. Not much has held my interest this year. Not quite sure, why though.

But AoM has been the first game to hold my attention for quite some time... and to actually look forward to the next time I get to play it.

Dungeon Siege was like that early in the year. But nothing else, really.

And thats that.

Shining1
16-12-2002, 13:47:39
AoM might have rated in mine, if they'd bothered to make it work on my computer. Since the other guys did that for me, they make the list.

Morrowind ranks as number 1 because it has really drawn me in during the sometimes whole weeks I have dedicated to it. WarcraftIII is the best of the new RTS MP staple, and did some fantastic things as far as internet gaming went. If they kill the cheating and get the game balanced I'll start playing it again.

NWN might manage next years list, because I don't rate it as a game that has been released yet. Still far too much broken code and other crappiness.

Disciples2 really was great fun for me during the start of the year, so it ranks as number 3. It's not quite got enduring quality, but I had a great time with it.

Nav
16-12-2002, 14:59:27
People who voted SMAC/X are sad. Very sad. :p

maroule
16-12-2002, 15:07:44
ah yes, I had forgotten Disciples2
I had fun with it, though, but the replay value is quite limited

Shining1
16-12-2002, 15:14:37
It was a pretty game, and there was so much to find out with all the different upgrade types. The overland spells were great too. It was a bit too self limiting, though, ultimately.

maroule
16-12-2002, 15:25:03
yes, colourful but it had zero strategy in it, and as much tactics (who should strike first etc) as monopoly

King_Ghidra@home
16-12-2002, 23:11:39
NWN doing well it seems

morrowind getting plenty of votes too, i forgot there were so many secretive RPG nerds on this board :p

MoSe
17-12-2002, 09:30:29
Originally posted by Nav
People who voted SMAC/X are sad. Very sad. :p

Actually, I can assure you I'm quite happy :p

Funkodrom
17-12-2002, 09:39:20
Originally posted by King_Ghidra@home
NWN doing well it seems

morrowind getting plenty of votes too, i forgot there were so many secretive RPG nerds on this board :p

Secretive? Half the threads I ignore are about RPGs.

MDA
17-12-2002, 14:39:13
So, finished BG2 yet? :)

Funkodrom
17-12-2002, 14:53:24
I got out of the first dungeon into the first town, haven't played it since.

Resource Consumer
17-12-2002, 15:15:01
loser

maroule
17-12-2002, 15:26:55
I had a lot of fun with BG2, I played it twice (once solo and once multiplayer)

and people call me a geek, pffffff

Beta1
17-12-2002, 16:12:27
Exactly my point - BG2 works both single and multiplayer. NWN doesnt even come close SP. Anyway story/characterwise I havnt seen anything even close to Planescape:Torment.

Total war seems to be creeping up as well. I guess we are all just too scared of venom to admit we all like it.

Lurker
17-12-2002, 17:54:15
Originally posted by Beta1

Total war seems to be creeping up as well. I guess we are all just too scared of venom to admit we all like it.

Obviously you didn't read my in-depth analysis of this masterpiece.

Funkodrom
17-12-2002, 18:26:11
Lurker is just voting for the games he's heard people say they hate isn't he.

Venom
17-12-2002, 18:29:16
I'm not the one that had a problem with people having different opinions of the game.

Resource Consumer
17-12-2002, 19:02:45
Originally posted by Beta1
Exactly my point - BG2 works both single and multiplayer. NWN doesnt even come close SP. Anyway story/characterwise I havnt seen anything even close to Planescape:Torment.

Gotcha - I really liked/still do like Baldur's Gate and I agree with your comments about P:T.

Yah - so you can't say that I hate every game:p

Lurker
17-12-2002, 19:39:31
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Lurker is just voting for the games he's heard people say they hate isn't he.

We are humbled by your genius.

Actually, come to think of it, the part about my voting isn't true. I'm voting for the only games I've even heard of, not just ones I've heard people say they hate.

Shining1
18-12-2002, 03:09:56
NWN works much better in multiplayer than BG2 does. Storywise, NWN is a game for the future. While the OC in NWN isn't fit to lick the floor surfaces upon which BG2 has previously walked, it's much easier to get a new campaign implimented in NWN, while it's almost impossible to do that with BG2.