PDA

View Full Version : LOTR RPG

maroule
03-12-2002, 12:45:05
I always wondered why it wasn't done before

The studio behind Battle Realms is working on Vivendi Universal's real-time strategy game set in Tolkien's Middle-earth.

Vivendi Universal previously revealed that it had a Lord of the Rings-themed RTS game in the works, and has today announced that Liquid Entertainment is developing it. The game, called The Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring, will be published by Vivendi Universal's Black Label Games division, and is scheduled for early 2004.
War of the Ring will have a single-player campaign with an epic story line, and will let players command either the forces of good or those of evil. Both sides will be playable in an extensive multiplayer component.

"The selection of Liquid Entertainment, recognized in the gaming industry for their PC strategy title, Battle Realms, as the developer for The War of the Ring underscores our long-term commitment to creating high-quality titles based on the Tolkien works," said Torrie Dorrell, general manager of Black Label Games.

Resource Consumer
03-12-2002, 13:01:06
There was the Hobbit, LotR I and II for the ZX Spectrum but that is admittedly going back a bit

"Gandalf opens the green door. The Nasty goblin enters"

maroule
03-12-2002, 13:16:12
there was also a 'wargame' for the amiga, later (I'd say 89-90) called 'war of the rings' I think, a piece of bugged software if there was ever one.

It was basically move a little icon (frodo) over the map of middle earth while other small insignificant icons (different armies) fought it out (but you could only see the overhead count decreasing, nothing else). As interesting as playing with a small calculator.

maroule
03-12-2002, 13:18:31
ahhhaah,
I found it

http://www.lysator.liu.se/tolkien-games/entry/wime.html

"Some versions (in particular the Amiga version) are extremely bug-infested"

how on (middle) earth did I spend so much time on this crap?

MDA
03-12-2002, 13:21:48
I remember the text adventure, vaguely - I think I played that and Gremlins at about the same time for the C64.

Interplay had a Hobbit/LOTR game as an early PC RPG, too, IIRC it was on the 10 year "anthology" disc. It was either buggy or my system was too far beyond the game to run it right.

Sean
03-12-2002, 17:00:06
maroule, is it one of these games: http://www.counterglow.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=5659 ?

maroule
03-12-2002, 17:13:17
I hadn't seen your thread
the EA one, just out, is indeed pathetic
the one they mention today at gamespot could be less :vom: , it seems to go towards a classic RPG AoE like, with a decent studio behind it.

In the end, it will be probably hugely disapointing all the same.
I dream of a turn base strategy game, on the total war engine, based of course on middle earth (maybe during the second age or beginning third).

MDA
03-12-2002, 20:08:18
damn you all for preventing me from hijacking this into a C64 nostalgia thread!!!

Venom
03-12-2002, 20:43:05
Sierra was working on a Middle Earth game a few years ago. They cancelled it right around the time they cancelled the Babylon5 game those stupid ass cum chuggers.

Resource Consumer
03-12-2002, 20:48:25
You'll have to explain this Sierra thing one day...

Venom
03-12-2002, 20:51:16
I'll never be able to finish without flying into a rage and killing everyone.

Jon Miller part Deux
03-12-2002, 21:14:45
there was this other one (two games actually) that I played the demo for

I thought it was made by seirra or something

Jon Miller

Darkstar
04-12-2002, 00:40:54
AoK, AoE, and AoM are not RPGs... they are RTS games.

maroule
04-12-2002, 08:12:47
you're right darkstar, I meant RTS all along

have to stop my medications, they fuck my brains