PDA

View Full Version : Best guitar pedal?

Lazarus and the Gimp
02-12-2002, 20:13:48
For me it's out of the Boss Overdrive/Distortion pedal, or the Boss Digital Delay. Those two, combined with a Crybaby wah are all I used (bar a flirtation with a borrowed Flanger).

Debaser
02-12-2002, 20:30:21
Big Muff.

Vincent
02-12-2002, 20:45:38
I live the Nobels Tremolo (plus it was cheap) and BOSS Auto-Wah AW-2. Also nice is the Dan-Echo I got.

The Shaker
02-12-2002, 20:58:09
The Filomo Delap P-25 has a huge fliptration segment.

Vincent
02-12-2002, 21:14:49
The Boss DR-770 has a nice shaker sound

PosterBoy
02-12-2002, 21:32:40
Boss tremelo

paiktis22
03-12-2002, 17:55:29
Boss Distortion 2. (I think that's what it's called).

I also like the cry baby but I don't remeber the brand of it.

Caligastia
03-12-2002, 18:01:05
I have a pedal (can't remember what its called), but I prefer the amp distortion.

Resource Consumer
05-12-2002, 12:38:57
Used to use a crybaby along with a Vox V shaped distortion pedal (can't remember what it was called but it was the one to have). Got into pedals and added a Boss flanger, Boss Phaser (irritating sound) and a Dod chorus.

PosterBoy
05-12-2002, 13:01:28
oh and the Morley wah/volume pedal

protein
05-12-2002, 15:10:41
I'd like to try a Slowgear.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Boss/SG_1_Slow_Gear-01.html

Nills Lagerbaak
05-12-2002, 15:23:59
http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Boss/MT_2_Metal_Zone-01.html

Check this baby out. It gets some of the best reviews out there!

Nills Lagerbaak
05-12-2002, 15:36:32
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Jackson/Kelly-Standard-01.html

Better still, check this baby out in conjunction with the above pedal (third or fourth review down!)

protein
05-12-2002, 17:02:02
The Jackson - "The origional pickups were awful, I replaced the bridge" "This is defenetly a Metal guitar."

The Metal Zone - "i play death black hardcore grindcore and some soft metal like diturbed and it gets the job done.ive been playing for about 2 and half years." "if you want some nice smooth overdrive, you don't pick this." "I could go on and on about how bad this pedal sounds" "Overall Rating: 2 Don't buy it."

Nills Lagerbaak
05-12-2002, 17:06:54
Trust you to pick the only bad reviews on there. Look at the average numbers, and read some of the approving reviews. I never claimed to get a pedal for an "all round" wishy-washy sound.

Nills Lagerbaak
05-12-2002, 17:08:50
"Ive been playing guitar for over 5 years and this was the best 475 Ive ever spent. I currently own, a strat, a Kelly (dugh), a Dean, an ESP, and a Jackson R. Rhoads V. If it were stolen Ide probobaly cry for a couple months...then by another one."

" This is the best guitar ive ever owned, it really kicks everybodys (but ESP M-II)asses. If it was stolen,.i would track the thief down and play Wonderwall for him time and time again, he would probobly take his life later on!!!"

Scabrous Birdseed
05-12-2002, 17:11:50
Two dyslexic metalheads. How can we oppose you in the face of such morally high-standing witnesses?

Nills Lagerbaak
05-12-2002, 17:13:06
Hey you don't have to be a literary genius to create metal masterpieces. Lucky for me I am :)

protein
05-12-2002, 17:13:42
He thinks that guitars only sound good if they are weedy metal guitars. He hates warmth and unique sounds. He wants to sound like every metal band he likes.

protein
05-12-2002, 17:16:01
OK maybe that was a bit strong. Even my brother commented on your guitar playing getting more intelligent and less widdly. You did come up with a great solo on Carpet Burns.

Nills Lagerbaak
05-12-2002, 17:19:19
Metal is the most creative of all electric guitar music. (Dream theater, yngvie Malmsteen, steve vai, joe satrian. I don't like that much of it, but it's still the most boundary pushing. Your comments are narrow-minded protein.

protein
05-12-2002, 17:37:26
We'll agree to disagree.

Debaser
05-12-2002, 17:38:05
"Dream theater, Yngie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani"

When you say "boundary pushing" exactly what boundaries are you talking about? The boundaries of self indulgence? The boundaries of making a guitar album more like a Kenny "fucking" G album?

Debaser
05-12-2002, 17:38:44
The boundaries of sheer overproduction?

Funkodrom
05-12-2002, 18:42:44
Sound Quality: 4
Right. Here's some specs on the MT-2:

Good:

It gives a metal sound. Nothing to blow a nut over, but it copies a metal sound for you. That's what it's made for and I suppose it is really nice for beginning players to practice on, before they get knowledge to how a really succesful distorted sound is made (which, I guarantee you, is NEVER just one pedal, if a person tells you that your favourite bands use the Metal Zone, well, *laughs quietly*)
Also, it's really cheap. I think I saw one reviewer here pay 135 dollars for a used version, well, I've seen it brand new for almost half that price.

Funkodrom
05-12-2002, 18:43:57
Originally posted by Debaser
"Dream theater, Yngie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani"

When you say "boundary pushing" exactly what boundaries are you talking about? The boundaries of self indulgence? The boundaries of making a guitar album more like a Kenny "fucking" G album?

Yeah, right. I have never seen him do more damage to his own argument than he just did here!

Except maybe Dream Theater who I've never heard but apparently are good.

Vincent
06-12-2002, 08:57:15
I tried the MT2 (or a boss device that looked exactly like it, maybe MT1 or something) and I was not too impressed. The sound was a little generic, or better: artificial, like MIDI. Didn't sound like a tube distortion. Instead I had a H&K Tubeman, a nice device with valves and 4 different kinds of sound (clean/crunch - Fender amp style, distorted1 - Marshall style - distorted 2 - MB style). You could adjust a lot of parameters getting almost every sound you need. Later I sold it because I bought a H&K Tube amp - same sounds, but amp.

http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/startseite/tube_tools.html

Nills Lagerbaak
06-12-2002, 09:16:09
I would rather get a pedal that does one job properly than one that tries to do many.

Most people will agree that if a heavy sound is what you desire from a guitar, then the MT-2 goes a long way to being the best in that field. As do Jackson guitars.

Just because it does not produce the kind of sound you like doesnot mean it is any less of a pedal.

I am just saying this (aimed at the rest of SUM) cos I'm pretty bored of cheap jokes at the expense of my equipment. If you want me to start I will....

Vincent
06-12-2002, 09:29:51
What equipment?

Nills Lagerbaak
06-12-2002, 09:35:14
Don't you dare start.....!:shoot:

protein
06-12-2002, 09:36:52
Nobody is having a joke at your expense, we are just discussing the difference between a real tube distortion or a distortion with a narrow scope of pure metal sound.

It does happen that you have a distortion aimed at the beginner but you have been able to get some decent sounds out of it, especially at the last rehersal. Your guitar sounded sweet. The delay added something too. It would be like us discussing good drums versus my 20 year old crappy budget kit. Itís worth talking about these things and sharing our knowledge. Vincent is probably the person to listen to most about this sort of thing.

Vincent
06-12-2002, 09:38:26
Personally I like devices with a variety of sounds rather than one sound. You get the chance to find your favourite sound and not the manufactures sound and it's not so boring in the end. I even sold my 1977 Tube Screamer because I could no longer stand the sound after 20 years ...
Sure you can buy several different kinds of devices for the same job, that's the best. For distortion I prefer some "Real" tube or a booster and a tube amp.
But I got also the GT-5 and a Sans Amp GT2, both are quite nice "sumulators". I used the GT-5 for the "u r all gay twats" solo sound, along with the Tele. Sounds OK

Vincent
06-12-2002, 09:46:51
The better (or more sophisticated) the equipment you use the better your skills have to be. If you use a Matchless amp (oooh, Matchless amps!!!) and a semi acoustic, be sure you play like a GOd.

That's why I used the Tele and the GT5. All I had to do is to hold the guitar

Vincent
06-12-2002, 09:59:45
Originally posted by protein
Vincent is probably the person to listen to most about this sort of thing. That's right. I spent most of my time (and money, sigh) looking for cool equipment. I wish I'd used that time to learn how to play the guitar.
On the other side I can make big posts about my cool shiny hardware here and watch it every day and you just play in a band and get this sex&drugs&rock'n'roll thingy.

you bastards.

protein
06-12-2002, 10:06:46
sex drugs and sausage roll.

Nills Lagerbaak
06-12-2002, 10:21:21
Nobody is having a joke at your expense, we are just discussing the difference between a real tube distortion or a distortion with a narrow scope of pure metal sound.

It does happen that you have a distortion aimed at the beginner but you have been able to get some decent sounds out of it, especially at the last rehersal. Your guitar sounded sweet. The delay added something too. It would be like us discussing good drums versus my 20 year old crappy budget kit. Itís worth talking about these things and sharing our knowledge. Vincent is probably the person to listen to most about this sort of thing.

The reason I say your comments are narrow minded is because they are not coming from a wide enough information base. Try asking some people who know about metal music and you might have a more reasoned opinion. I lived with metal-heads for two long years at uni. and despite thier faults they knew a fuck of a lot about metal guitars. You may not like metal, but Im just saying please don't quote me opinions from people who know nothing on the subject.

Vincent
06-12-2002, 10:40:25
I think you are taking comments on your equipment too personal.

I owned a lot of crap equipment, especially my 77 Stratocaster (the worst guitar ever) and my first amp (Ibanez 60EQ+. Horrible. I could not even resell it).

I owned some classic or hi tech equipmend that was very good but didn't fit my style, like the Tube Screamer or the Strat Plus.

I own some equipment that is good and I like to play it and they are best choice for a certain task (like the GT-5 or the Les Paul)

I own some equipment that has a certain kind o magic. Sometimes it's cheap stuff. Like the Nobels Tremolo, or the Telecaster. And that's the "best" hardware.

And if sombody says I own shit equipment I just smile. He doesn't know ...

protein
06-12-2002, 10:45:20
OK. Let's be blunt. I have been playing in and hanging around bands for about 15 years and know a little about equipment. I worked in a music shop advising beginners about what equipment to buy for their guitars.

When I see a guitar pedal that is called "metal zone" alarm bells start ringing. It may as well be called "Tomy beginner guitar box".
Boss make good pedals but they are also aware that a hell of a lot of money comes from the new generation of guitarists in to metal who don't know the first thing about music. So they come up with budget products like the metal zone.

It is not a personal attack on you or your guitar pedal. That is the way that equipment is sold. I for example have got a budget drum kit. It sounds ok to the beginner but it is a huge pile of poo.
It is time for me to move on to the next level and get a real drum kit when I can afford it. We can all make do with the equipment that we have got but not pretend that the equipment we have got is the real deal when it is budget teenager stuff.

Nills Lagerbaak
06-12-2002, 10:45:53
Wise words, correct on all counts, but ignorance is never nice....

protein
06-12-2002, 10:51:54
I agree. I love you man.

Nills Lagerbaak
06-12-2002, 10:51:58
OK. Let's be blunt. I have been playing in and hanging around bands for about 15 years and know a little about equipment. I worked in a music shop advising beginners about what equipment to buy for their guitars.

When I see a guitar pedal that is called "metal zone" alarm bells start ringing. It may as well be called "Tomy beginner guitar box".
Boss make good pedals but they are also aware that a hell of a lot of money comes from the new generation of guitarists in to metal who don't know the first thing about music. So they come up with budget products like the metal zone.

It is not a personal attack on you or your guitar pedal. That is the way that equipment is sold. I for example have got a budget drum kit. It sounds ok to the beginner but it is a huge pile of poo.
It is time for me to move on to the next level and get a real drum kit when I can afford it. We can all make do with the equipment that we have got but not pretend that the equipment we have got is the real deal when it is budget teenager stuff.

No one is saying it isn't budget range stuff. Do you think I'd spend good money on a pedal to put it through Synchron?
But in that price braqcket it is one of the best pedals you can buy for that sound.
The issue is not the damn pedal, it's the fact that if you don't like something you tend to form a totally biased opinion of it.

Nills Lagerbaak
06-12-2002, 10:53:35
I agree. I love you man.

Oh dear I was agreeing with vincent:D

But I still love you man!:bash:

Funkodrom
06-12-2002, 10:57:27
Hey, good call on the Synchros. No point spending loads on Metal Zone when you'll get a good distortion on your amp (hopefully).

The most annoying thing about my amp is that the distortion is weak and 'bleeds' into the clean channel.

Vincent
06-12-2002, 10:59:41
But if you talk about the quality of equipment, you sometimes have to use different measures.

For example I don't use the Dan-Echo that much, because I don't like big echoes and it's not exactly my style.

But the device per se is excellent. A nasty tape echo sound without a tape. It's amazing, good craftswork. The Nobels Tremolo sounds very good, better quality then the BOSS device IMO, but costs just the half, so it's far better. A very unique sound.

I wouldn't say the Tubeman was excellent. I loved it, but I guess there are a lot of better devices plus it was quite expensive and caused a lot of humming/hissing. But I loved it.

The qustion seems to be: Is it inspiring, new, good craftswork, unique and simple? That's maybe 5 % of my stuff. I got a good noise reduction, but it just works as designed. It's not "whoa".

Vincent
06-12-2002, 11:02:21
Still the other 95% are good enough for me

protein
06-12-2002, 11:04:35
I didn't say that I didn't like the pedal. It can sound damn good through an amp with a lot of eq correction. Like I keep saying - you get a good sound out of it. But there is better out there. When you get an amp you can use both distortions for differetn songs. That would be a professional move.

Remember the difference between my old snare and new one. The old one did the trick. The only reason I get a bit miffed is that I emailed you warning you against the metal zone and offered advice on really really good distortions in the same price range.

Vincent
06-12-2002, 11:06:36
like?

Nills Lagerbaak
06-12-2002, 11:07:34
I didn't say that I didn't like the pedal. It can sound damn good through an amp with a lot of eq correction. Like I keep saying - you get a good sound out of it. But there is better out there. When you get an amp you can use both distortions for differetn songs. That would be a professional move.

Remember the difference between my old snare and new one. The old one did the trick. The only reason I get a bit miffed is that I emailed you warning you against the metal zone and offered advice on really really good distortions in the same price range.

The reason I get miffed like now is that I took your bloody advice on board, tried lots of pedals, decided on which pedal I wanted and chose it. You have no reason to get miffed, so I didn't chose the pedal that you would have liked. Do you think I did it on purpose? Are you saying that you taste is better than mine? Because that can be infered directly from you above statement.

protein
06-12-2002, 11:11:23
Dual Overdrive, OS-2 OverDrive/DistortiSD-1 Super Over Drive, DS-2 Turbo Distortion. That sort of thing. I can't remember. Our bassist did most of the research.

Vincent
06-12-2002, 11:12:58
Anything else than BOSS?

The Shaker
06-12-2002, 11:14:12
I think maybe some sort of fight is in order.

Vincent
06-12-2002, 11:14:33
The problem is you guys obviously have no taste, nor reason and no power at all and therefore I declare myself as the illuminated trancendent eternal CG hardware guru by the power of post 10K. HA!

Vincent
06-12-2002, 11:15:41
I got it. HAHAHAHAHA! You stupid mortals! Bow before me.

Now go and buy a 77 Stratocaster, an Ibanez 60EQ amp and a Zoom 4040 effect

Vincent
06-12-2002, 11:19:18
Please leave my forum - until you paid your master

Nills Lagerbaak
06-12-2002, 11:24:57
Fine. We shall have an axe fight. Vincent bring your hardware to the gig and we'll have a riff-off

protein
06-12-2002, 11:26:31
Ach! Don't take it personally. I only advised that you get a pedal that can do alot more than yours. I'll say it again - yours sounds fine. Lets not argue.

protein
06-12-2002, 11:27:20
I think that he will out-equipment you. Hey Vincent, post that picture of your guitar pedals again.

Nills Lagerbaak
06-12-2002, 11:30:37
Ach! Don't take it personally. I only advised that you get a pedal that can do alot more than yours. I'll say it again - yours sounds fine. Lets not argue.

Agreed! Let's not have any more cheap digs at my equipment and/or my appreciation of bands like Candlemass (see it runs deaper than that......)

Good everyone friends again?:heart: :heart: :heart: ?

No one can defeat my syhchron

protein
06-12-2002, 11:33:28
Sphincton sucks ass.

Vincent
06-12-2002, 11:34:40
Arseholes

Funkodrom
06-12-2002, 11:50:38
I love my Marshall Guv'nor II.

I could hammer someones brains out of their skull with it and not even dent it.

Vincent
06-12-2002, 12:02:42
Give it to me

Funkodrom
06-12-2002, 12:03:15
OK, then do you want to look at my pedal?

Vincent
06-12-2002, 12:05:25
aha aha

Nills Lagerbaak
06-12-2002, 12:12:29
Originally posted by Funkodrom
OK, then do you want to look at my pedal?

An finally after all that if you're not too exhausted would you like to know more about the Marshall guvnor 2?

Vincent
06-12-2002, 12:31:09
I want to learn all about Funkodrom's device

Debaser
06-12-2002, 13:45:38
Oi Vincent, what's wrong with a Zoom 4040? (Aside from the fact that all its distortions sound shit, its noise reduction acts like a really budget compressor, and its plastic comstruction means it breaks all the time)

Vincent
06-12-2002, 21:19:14
It sounds as brilliant as a fart

paiktis22
06-12-2002, 23:25:11
What exactly is an Auto-wah?

A "crybaby" where you can "program" it into sequences?

Or something?

Vincent
07-12-2002, 08:42:53
That's a quite good description
http://www.youreq.com/musiceq/effects/boss/aw-3.asp

paiktis22
07-12-2002, 10:00:31
Thanks.

Interesting gadget...