PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Darko

maroule
02-12-2002, 10:23:35
just saw it, and I liked it. Very original, and a breath of fresh air in the usual schmollywood productions

However, I'm not sure I understood the end : did the guy just imagined it (the 28 days) just a few seconds before his death?

Ted
06-12-2002, 07:35:21
If you go by just the movie, I'd say it's open to interpretation.

Going by the comentary and the cut scenes I was left with the impression that it all actualy happened.

There are a lot of undertones of "fate" and the inablity to escape it.
Although I, at least, was left with the impression while D couldn't affect his fate directly, he could in a sense choose it. Choosing to die by the jet engine gave his mother, sister, gf and others a chance at living their own life.

It's a really screwed up movie, and I really enjoyed it too.

maroule
06-12-2002, 08:19:11
interesting
the second movie of this young director will be one to watch, hope he keeps the momentum and doesn't flatter to deceive, as many other 'promising young directors' ( I count Night Shyamalan in this category after the pathetic 'signs')

Sean
17-12-2002, 17:55:15
Originally posted by Ted
Although I, at least, was left with the impression while D couldn't affect his fate directly, he could in a sense choose it. Choosing to die by the jet engine gave his mother, sister, gf and others a chance at living their own life.
It was also and end to his trouble (if he wasn’t troubled, he didn’t sleepwalk, so he died). That was how I saw it, and the ending was well done, because I was a little disappointed until about twenty minutes from the end.

Sean
19-12-2002, 23:38:18
I just downloaded the cover of Mad World. It’s brilliant, and helps make the ending make the film. I really want the soundtrack just for this song.

Sean
21-12-2002, 01:12:44
:bash: I finally see this, and the only other two people who have seen it bugger off.

Qweeg
11-01-2003, 14:53:42
I dsaw it, liked it. It has a time-twist ending for sure, I reckon he did a bit of a temporal loop-the-loop kinda thing, and realy it could happen to any of us if you think about it- coz once your dead- you wouldn't have the opportunity to tell everyone 'yeah sure I'm dead now, but 28 days before I died, I lived this weird alternative month...'

if you get me.

Kinda reminded me of Jacobs Ladder, cept I reckon Jacob really was hallucinating those few minutes before he died.

Nav
13-01-2003, 11:05:47
got this as an xmas pressy. Hadnt heard of it before, pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Brilliant film.