PDA

View Full Version : LOTR, trailer 2

maroule
28-11-2002, 13:01:04
you've probably seen it already, but I hadn't : a new trailer for the 2 towers, where we get a glimps of wargs, ents, and the rest

I don't know about you, but I had shivers while watching it, and a dry mouth at the end

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/the_two_towers/

Sean
28-11-2002, 13:07:34
Still withholding judgement. I’m going to see it as soon as I can, even though I’m not hopeful.

maroule
28-11-2002, 13:12:32
what do you fear will be disapointing?

Sean
28-11-2002, 13:13:13
The movie.

To forestall your next question: because the first one was.

maroule
28-11-2002, 13:17:26
yes, to some extend, but still very good effort on an objectiveley impossible to adapt book

and the first tome is also the slowest, so let's see how they cope with the accelerated tempo, the switching between different stories, and the introduction of new characters

I have the feeling they focus 2T a lot on sarouman, which means Sauron will be left for the return of the king

Mightytree
28-11-2002, 13:43:33
I think this trailer has been out for a few months now.

I know we had this conversation before, but what exactly did you find disappointing about the movie again, Sean?

maroule
28-11-2002, 13:50:07
Originally posted by Mightytree
I think this trailer has been out for a few months now.

I know we had this conversation before, but what exactly did you find disappointing about the movie again, Sean?

the first trailer has been out for months, but this second one is quite recent, two weeks at the most

Sean
28-11-2002, 13:57:52
Mt: and you say ‘not again’ when a Poly threead comes up :p.

In brief: it wasn’t entirely coherent. There were several scenes that were excruciatingly out of place. The soundtrack was bad. I didn’t think McKellen’s Gandalf was as good as it could have been. It was too Hollywood.

I’ve skipped a lot which I forget, since I last saw it a couple of months ago. I also skipped criticisms based on comparisons to the books, because this is a film, not a book.

Mightytree
28-11-2002, 14:16:44
I just downloaded the small version to take a look, maroule, and this one has definitely been sitting on my HD for a while. Not that it really matters ...

Sean, I agree that it wasn't entirely coherent in some places. I didn't really mind the soundtrack ... in fact even when I watched it yesterday again for maybe the 4th or 5th time, I didn't even notice it. For me it's basically non-existant. And I found McKellen was fantastic as Gandalf. I don't really understand how people think it could be done any better. The only reason I could think of is that people wanted him to be more the big, mighty wizard instead of the more grandfather type of guy he is in the movie. Anyway ...

Do you remember the scene where Gandalf accidently bangs his head on some wooden bar in Bilbo's house. That was actually not in the script. It was a mistake by McKellen but he kept on acting and they kept it in the movie. I found that pretty interesting. :)

Mightytree
28-11-2002, 14:22:17
One of the scenes I absolutely didn't like in the cinema version was Elrond's Council. It was too short and too abrupt for my taste, especially Boromir's part. That scene is way better in the extended version.

Sean
28-11-2002, 14:26:18
Yes, you’ve all been saying it’s good. A longer version would certainly be interesting. I’m not sure that I’ll be as thrilled over the commentaries as you obviously are, though :).

Mightytree
28-11-2002, 14:29:02
Heh, I wouldn't say I'm thrilled about the commentaries. I just really liked the actor's one ... I'm pretty sure that the other three commentaries (yes, there are more) are pretty boring in comparison.

Scabrous Birdseed
28-11-2002, 14:58:19
The first one was dissapointing because it managed to be almost as boring as the book, an impressive feat that. Since The Two Towers is the most boring book in the series, I quake at the very thought of how mindnumbingly tedious the film will be.

Mightytree
28-11-2002, 15:02:12
:lol: :lol:

FunkyFingers
28-11-2002, 15:11:26
If you made the council of Elrond even half as long as it goes on for in the book you could probably make a 3 hour film just from that one scene!

Re your not liking the soundtrack, I have to say I totally disagree with you, it's a very good soundtrack IMHO, way way better than the pastiche that Williams came up with for the Harry Potter films.

I also must disagree with you on your dislike of McKellan's Gandalf. I felt he came across perfectly as the almost "grandfatherly like" old hermit who basically just likes the quiet like, wants to protect the world but is utterly scared of the ring. That's exactly how it is in the Book. What did you want?

Sean
28-11-2002, 15:15:58
Something was just wrong with Gandalf, it’s hard to quantify.

I don’t care how bad the Harry Potter soundtrack was, I didn’t like this soundtrack. It wasn’t necessarily bad in itself, just completely inappropriate and intrusive in the movie.

Mightytree
28-11-2002, 15:17:02
I don't want the Council to be an hour long ... just watch the extended version and see how it's done better. It's only slightly longer.

Sean
28-11-2002, 15:21:26
Don’t you dare say that the cinema release could be improved upon, Mt. Whose side are you on?

Mightytree
28-11-2002, 15:23:56
Errr ... um ...

:nervous:

Mightytree
28-11-2002, 15:30:25
Well, I don't think I ever said the movie was perfect. There's stuff besides Elrond's Council I didn't like either, but most of that was really minor. Overall I think it was really good ... also considering that it's incredibly tough to make a movie out of the book. It was a good effort and I think it'll be tough to top it in the future.

FunkyFingers
28-11-2002, 16:13:45
Sean - going to have to agree to disagree on the soundtrack issue, I thought it was a fantastic soundtrack and totally right for the film.
YOU'RE SO WRONG.
There, accept it :p

Sean
28-11-2002, 16:15:36
No way, old man.

Funkodrom
28-11-2002, 17:04:38
I thought Gandalf was great.

The extended edition (as far as I've seen) has taken away most of my criticisms of the first film being a bit disjointed even though I thought it was great anyway.

The Shaker
29-11-2002, 19:30:22
Yep.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
03-12-2002, 20:58:18
Just be glad there was no Tom Bombadil in any version. I'm just re-reading the ebook version again, and all I can say about that section is: Yikes! And shake my head sadly.

On a somewhat related note, I miss catching the bus to work... :(

Venom
03-12-2002, 21:03:02
Tom Bombadil the true master of The One Ring.

Funkodrom
04-12-2002, 09:58:26
I just skip most of the Bombadil bit when I read it. :sleep: I skip all the songs and poems and shit as well though.

maroule
04-12-2002, 10:51:17
if there's a 'Let's stone Tom Bombadil to death while we gang rape his preposterous girl friend Fan Club', count me in

MDA
04-12-2002, 22:01:44
Oliphaunt! :)

You don't get to see much of the Ent, and I thought I caught a glimpse of one of the Nazgul. I'm wondering about Wormtongue, now.

Debaser
05-12-2002, 17:55:39
Ha Ha, I'm going to see LofR - TTT before all of you, and I don't even want to watch it really. I'll probably think it was dull, predictable, and much too long like the first one was.

I'm going to a special preview screening on the 18th of december, who wants to touch me?

FunkyFingers
05-12-2002, 18:39:49
The Tom Bombadil section was wisely missed out in the film - it's not like you miss him in the film and he adds nothing to the actual storyline, it's just something that happens while they're going through the enchanted forest. Glad he wasn't in it though, what with his singing and his wellington boots and his suspiciously always too happy woman...

You see Wormtongue in the trailer, standing on the right hand side of Sauruman. You also see an Ent, fleetingly, with Merry and Pip in his left hand.

I can't wait!

Mightytree
06-12-2002, 11:17:16
Originally posted by Debaser
Ha Ha, I'm going to see LofR - TTT before all of you, and I don't even want to watch it really. I'll probably think it was dull, predictable, and much too long like the first one was.

I'm going to a special preview screening on the 18th of december, who wants to touch me?

Well, I'm going to see it on the 18th too ... at 1 past midnight. That's the normal premiere time throughout Germany.

Sean
06-12-2002, 15:26:59
Originally posted by Debaser
I’m not sure how to break this to you, but preview screenings on the Wednesday are actually extremely common.

I mean, good for you! Well done, Debaser!

Funky, I watched the extended edition. Guess what? The soundtrack is still wrong, and the Council of Elrond is still awful (not quite as bad, admittedly). The bit with Isildur swimming was a good addition.

Immortal Wombat
06-12-2002, 15:33:58
wrong?

FunkyFingers
06-12-2002, 15:35:31
Originally posted by Sean
Funky, I watched the extended edition. Guess what? The soundtrack is still wrong, and the Council of Elrond is still awful (not quite as bad, admittedly). The bit with Isildur swimming was a good addition.

Try taking your earplugs out

Sean
06-12-2002, 16:07:13
Yes, wrong. How many times do I have to say this: it was too intrusive, too blatantly epic, and didn’t fit with the relaxed theme the movie (should have) had.

Bree was too hostile, also. The new parts in the Shire were a lot better.

Funkodrom
06-12-2002, 16:09:09
I agree with Sean a bit about the soundtrack, this time I watched it I noticed that the soundtrack over the escape from the Balrog sounds like it should be in Back to the Future.

FunkyFingers
06-12-2002, 16:10:13
Bah, fools

Funkodrom
06-12-2002, 16:11:19
Mostly it's good but in places you just wonder what the hell the music is doing.

FunkyFingers
06-12-2002, 16:12:28
Now I'd agree that the soundtrack from the Harry Potter films was utter guff and probably the worst that John Williams has yet come up with, but the LOTR music is great. Trust me, I'm a " classically trained musician" :p

Sean
06-12-2002, 16:14:31
It may be great as music, but it doesn’t always fit the film. There are some nice moments, but it has irritated me immensely every time I have watched it.

Funkodrom
06-12-2002, 16:14:58
Go to the escape from Kazad Dum or whatever it's called and play it with your eyes closed and think about Back to the Future.

The Shaker
06-12-2002, 16:17:05
What annoyed me was the soundtrack as it cuts to a bit which musically informs you that the current scene with merry and pippin is meant to be funny.

Debaser
06-12-2002, 16:17:15
I'm not sure how to break this to you, but preview screenings on the Wednesday are actually extremely common.

Yeah I know, but I've never been to one before so it's mildly exciting for me.

FunkyFingers
06-12-2002, 16:23:12
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Go to the escape from Kazad Dum or whatever it's called and play it with your eyes closed and think about Back to the Future.

Go and put your Vampyros Lesbos CD on with your eyes closed and think of "England" :p

Funkodrom
06-12-2002, 16:27:22
I do that often. :beer:

FunkyFingers
06-12-2002, 16:28:10
:D

DaShi
06-12-2002, 19:45:17
Originally posted by The Shaker
What annoyed me was the soundtrack as it cuts to a bit which musically informs you that the current scene with merry and pippin is meant to be funny.

I needed that. I couldn't tell when they were being funny. :(

FunkyFingers
09-12-2002, 13:00:48
Watched the Extended Fellowship last night, thought it was a remarkable improvement and somehow managed to make the original 3 hour version seem Rushed!

Still disagree with you on the music.

maroule
09-12-2002, 13:55:47
Watched the Extended Fellowship this WE too
it does add to the movie (I like the present distribution by Galadriel), but mainly for die hard tolkien entousiasts like myself who would have swallowed a 12h version if there was one

didn't pay too much attention to the music, though, was neither entousiastic or irritated by it

by the way, did you notice peter jackson, he is very very briefly in one of the scene (he does his hitchcok trick).

FunkyFingers
09-12-2002, 14:00:14
Didn't notice Jackson - is he on as a hobbit perchance?

maroule
09-12-2002, 14:04:30
no he is in Bree,

right after they enter the village, on their way to the prancing poney, they go up a muddy road and we see him very brifly (bearded, soaked wet) on the right side of the screen

check it on your dvd, it's fun

Mightytree
09-12-2002, 14:12:20
I knew that Jackson was in the movie somewhere, but I always looked for him inside the Prancing Pony. Thanks for the tip. :)

FunkyFingers
09-12-2002, 14:20:08
Cool. I wonder what other "easter eggs" are buried in that 3 3/4 hour marathon!

maroule
09-12-2002, 16:53:03
there are a few clever references
the last one I found is in the trailer 2, we see saruman saying, in front of his army, 'our victory is at hand'

and of course his symbol is the white hand....

Mightytree
10-12-2002, 02:12:13
And now for something completely different ...

WarOfTheRing.net (http://www.warofthering.net/downloads/thetwotowerstrailers.shtml) just added two new video files of Charlie Rose interviewing Peter Jackson, Elijah Wood and Viggo Mortensen. It's split into two parts and is about 35 minutes long. What I found particularly interesting was the first part of it ... which is for the most part not about TTT at all but about world politics. I didn't know Mortensen was American, but he has some very interesting views.

Interesting haircut too. :D

Mightytree
13-12-2002, 00:21:28
To prepare for Tuesday night's premiere of TTT, I have just watched FotR again with a friend. And this time I have particularly paid attention to the music and how it's used.

I must disappoint you Sean, but I am with Funky on this issue. I think the music is great. The Oscars are highly political nowadays but Howard Shore really earnt this one. I have no clue how anybody can't like it.

Sean
13-12-2002, 00:46:04
It may be great as music, but it doesn’t always fit the film.
:bash:.

I will be seeing it on Thursday. No spoilers, please :p.

Mightytree
13-12-2002, 00:52:59
Sean, that's what I meant. It fits the film perfectly.