PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind Expansion Pack

Lazy Lemonade
26-11-2002, 15:17:48
I have just about despaired of the Morrowind forums moving at any pace at all, so I might as well post this here.

I am going to get Morrowind in the next couple of weeks as it now seems to have come down in price but I was thinking about getting the new expansion pack at the same time.

Has anybody got (or going to get) the Morrowind expansion pack? Any thoughts or recommendations that you might want to share about it?

Thanks.

Shining1
26-11-2002, 15:25:17
It's pretty crap. The only useful upgrades I've seen so far is the slightly improved journal. It's not really worth spending extra money on, unless you are made of money and buying games is like nothing to you.

Get the patch, definitely, but you don't need the xpack.

Nav
26-11-2002, 16:51:34
don't you need a really beefy machine to run it on? I know a mate has got a top spec machine and he gave up with it..

MDA
26-11-2002, 17:00:02
Yes. Beefy machine helps tremendously. The safedisc crack bumps the framerate a bit, too.

I have Tribunal, but have been trying to finish Icewind Dale II and Arx Fatalis, and Mechwarrior: Mercenaries before I start another game.

Shining1
26-11-2002, 17:00:54
I'm running it okay on my Athlon 1700+ with Geforce 2 and old memory. I'm down to 640*480 resolution and I've tweaked the Geforce in favour of performance instead of imaging, but it runs fine.

Sean
26-11-2002, 17:43:52
I run/ran Morrowind fine on a 1GHz Athlon, 256mb RAM, Radeon 7200.

The Shaker
26-11-2002, 19:31:31
I didn't realise there was an expansion pack.
When did that come out?

Really sean? I kept getting really annoying pauses for no reason on my 1gHZ geforce2 but never tried it with the geforce4.

Ned:- Is Improved journalling in the patch? (might make me pick it up again)

No longer Trippin
26-11-2002, 20:10:06
It runs like shit because it draws every texture in your field of view, even if it is hidden.

No, improved journaling isn't in the patch. I liked morrowind, but was just too simplistic for me. Jedi Knight had a better combat interface for "melee" weapons. All these are very basic and there is no point in doing anything but running up to your enemy and clobbering the shit out of him. No finesse is needed.

No longer Trippin
26-11-2002, 20:16:53
Wait, 1 ghz geforce 2? what the fuck are you doing, vapochilling or LN2ing a video card? You mean 1 ghz processor I'm assuming.. I could pull after plenty of tweaking and a professional graphics card 30 fps in Balmora at 1280x1024 on an overclocked Duron. Most people have the fps drop to 15 or so there or any city. On a g4, expect btw 15 and 30 fps at any resolution above 800x600, processor really doesn't matter unless you have a really beefy one. You'll pull a bit more at 800x600, but not much, and you need a large interface (re:resolution), else the interface is a nightmare.

Did they fix the problem with it taking 5 to 10 minutes to sell one Ebony or Daedric weapon in the Tribunal expansion?

No longer Trippin
26-11-2002, 20:19:30
Sean, have Morrowind display the frames per second, you'll be amazed at how low they are. It hits the TI's in the shaders dept the most. An MX will probably get a bit faster framerates at the expense of looks as the engine is programmed like shit.

Sean
26-11-2002, 20:38:16
I did have it display the FPS :rolleyes:.

Sir Penguin
26-11-2002, 22:11:30
I ran it on an Athlon 1800+ with a Geforce2 MX. The original, not the expansion. It mostly ran smoothly (I think I had it at 800x600, with shadows turned low), but it was choppy every so often, especially in the hallways of Vivec cantons. And at the propylon chambers and at the volcano I got under 5 fps. But I got good enough framerate throughout for me to finish the game. I'm going to try again when I get a new video card.

SP

LadyRachel
27-11-2002, 00:10:58
I have few framerate problems with the game - for the first half hour or so. Then there is a slow, steady performance decrease as the memory starts to get congested until it crashes to desktop after three hours. Sometimes it will last slightly longer, especially if I don't have to reload. If I DO have to reload more than once or twice, I'm lucky if I can get it to last longer than an hour. (Athlon 1800+, GF3, 256RAM.)

The expansion has very few useful features to it. The journal is useable, finally. I can't really comment on any of the new quests, since my current girl is far too low level (18) to attempt them. The pack animal, while very cute, only carries 100lbs and cannot leave Mournhold to help you out in the rest of the game. I haven't tried the mercenaries, but I have heard that they will NOT teleport with you if you use a Recall spell (so I also suspect the Intervention spells would have the same effect). Since I like to use those spells quite frequently I don't think I will get a merc. And the "create your own armor" thing is a ripoff - it is all armor that is already in the game (with the exception of the adamantite, which you can get with a free official plugin instead of paying for an expansion). It has the same textures, the same stats, everything the same - except for the price, which is far more expensive.

Not to mention some pretty impressive bugs popping up here and there.

I'm not entirely unhappy I bought it, still. It's made me go back to a game I really enjoy and never finished, and in doing so seems to have even shaken off my Diablo2 addiction... for the time being.

Shining1
27-11-2002, 04:38:07
I can comment on the temple sewers bit in Mournhold, at least. Remember those huge tomb raider levels when you'd killed all the bad guys hours before, and were just constantly running around looking for the one lever or passage or SOMETHING you'd missed that would allow you to progress in the game?

Ditto, except without Lara's digital ass to stare at.

Mournhold all together has a substandard feel to it. You're far better off just exploring the island of morrowind without this crappy addition to the storyline getting in your way.

Shaker: No, it isn't, but it fucking should be!!!

Lazy Lemonade
27-11-2002, 09:57:26
Thanks for the advice all. Well, I think I won't bother with the expansion pack. I am really wondering, though, whether to get Morrowind at all given some of the run problems. We shall see.

The Shaker
27-11-2002, 10:20:35
Originally posted by No longer Trippin
Wait, 1 ghz geforce 2? what the fuck are you doing, vapochilling or LN2ing a video card? You mean 1 ghz processor I'm assuming..

It's in a bucket of water.
:p

I assumed anyone would understand what I was saying so I cut out most of the wording.

Also... those bat thing werre annoying after a while, just getting in the way. and piss hard when the thing has slowed to a jerky crawl :( just flailing at midair.
grr

:bash:

Shining1
27-11-2002, 15:02:51
There seems to be some kind of a memory leak based on the amount of stuff you have in your inventory * time you have been playing continuously.

I switched from a Ranger type character to an Orc Grunt, and my performance has just shot up amazingly. The slowdowns I used to get still very occasionally occur, but 90% of the time it runs very smoothly.

Alchemists are advised to find a chest somewhere and leave all their ingredients in that. Not only will your inventory be lighter, the game will run way better to.

NLT: You're right about the engine, and semi-right about the combat (there is a bit of skill involved still), but I've played DungeonSiege with a perfect engine and crap storyline, and Morrowind with a diabolical engine and brilliant story, and Morrowind gets my vote.

Darkstar
01-12-2002, 09:03:38
The more in your inventory means the more memory you leak? You do realize that one statement says the whole code is a candidate for serious piece of shit released since Civ: ToT1, or top Sierra game, or even, most hyped Firaxis game ever.

There isn't one *excuse* for a large inventory to cause a memory leak. Not one. Not even with lots of pick up, throw, pick up again cycling.

Shining1
01-12-2002, 09:41:38
The whole engine is a little substandard, and has been forever. Their previous game Daggerfall was a candidate for 'worst piece of shit code ever'.

Like I said, though, because the story and design are good enough, it's worth the effort.

Darkstar
01-12-2002, 09:43:18
Design of the code isn't good/doesn't sound good, so do you mean the design of the world/cities/levels?

Shining1
01-12-2002, 09:51:18
Yep.

Sir Penguin
01-12-2002, 22:23:13
Originally posted by The Shaker

Also... those bat thing werre annoying after a while, just getting in the way. and piss hard when the thing has slowed to a jerky crawl :( just flailing at midair.
grr

:bash:

By the end of the game I was sure that I'd wiped out the whole species, but no, they still kept coming. The game didn't slow down with them, though, so I got the click/lookup/locate/swing movement down to a fluid gesture. And with my Daedric Claymore I never had to swing twice. :smoke:

SP

Shining1
02-12-2002, 09:59:39
You'll never beat the Cliffracers! Never!!