PDA

View Full Version : Xbox losers bite Live dust!

moomin
20-11-2002, 10:38:11
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/28180.html

Seems M$ bans Xboxen with mod chips from their vaunted Live network. Anybody in Europe buying an Xbox for multiplay and DVD had better reconsider - unless they enjoy watching region 2 DVDs only.

Not that I expect better from M$. Wonder if this is why our friend Asher has been so quiet lately - probably trying to sell his now uneless modified hardware on E-bay to some unsuspecting poor sod before this becomes a public stink.

Funkodrom
20-11-2002, 10:42:49
:lol:

Resource Consumer
20-11-2002, 10:47:54
:lol::lol:

maroule
20-11-2002, 11:06:20
I might be stupid, but what's a mod chip for xbox? I thought xbox was a fairly standard plateform, you just plug it and boum (hence the interest when you're fed up with your PC and the need for constant tweaking it), so why mod it with some other hardware/chip?

I am missing the point?

Funkodrom
20-11-2002, 11:16:58
Basically the standard one can only play DVDs for the region in which it's sold. So European one can only play Region 2 DVDs. People had them chipped so they could play DVDs from other regions.

maroule
20-11-2002, 12:19:59
ah
understood (sort of)
the dvd 'enabler' is just a little bit of plastic you plug in a controler's port, so that's easy to take of before you join the network
anyway, why is that a problem for M$ that you can read all zones?

Side note on schizophrenia, I bought the xbox, and I hate M$.

Shining1
20-11-2002, 12:25:01
Ask M$. A lot of other people would probably like to know as well:).

Funkodrom
20-11-2002, 13:09:00
Every X-Box you buy makes them lose money, probably why you bought it.

Sean
20-11-2002, 13:44:34
I don’t really think MS are particularly stupid to do this.

Funkodrom
20-11-2002, 13:57:24
Oh come on, we're just trying to get Asher to turn purple. It's fun!

Sean
20-11-2002, 14:01:41
Purple like a GameCube!

Funkodrom
20-11-2002, 14:18:38
Now you've got the idea!

Darkstar
21-11-2002, 03:55:58
It's a DVD thing... most DVD players are region coded.

Mod chips are useful for more then changing your DVD region. Like letting you hack the hardware. Run linux, etc...

Funkodrom
21-11-2002, 09:34:45
It actually breaks the Micro$haft licence agreement to mod it in any way so they are totally within their rights to ban anyone who does it.

Shining1
21-11-2002, 09:49:32
Yes. Innovation of any kind is very very bad:).

Darkstar
21-11-2002, 23:04:13
Unless it's Microsoft Innovation, of course.

Deacon
22-11-2002, 01:25:14
MS does lose money on the hardware, but they won't make any at all without a purchase. :)

Asher
22-11-2002, 05:13:33
I'm very happy they're banning moding Xboxes.

Cheaters can fuck off and die, and stay off Xbox Live.

And yes, I know many people buy it for regionless play and imports. And if so, may I offer you a brilliant suggestion: DISABLE IT BEFORE CONNECTING TO XBOX LIVE.

Xbox Live doesn't care if you have a modchip if you don't connect to Xbox Live with it activated. If you do -- you're busted and your serial number is blacklisted.

If a Game Genie or GameShark ever comes out, they'll be banned too.

If you think that's such a bad idea, you should hear all the feedback from Gamecube players trying to play PSO online. Cheating is rampant.

Asher
22-11-2002, 05:17:34
Originally posted by maroule
ah
understood (sort of)
the dvd 'enabler' is just a little bit of plastic you plug in a controler's port, so that's easy to take of before you join the network
anyway, why is that a problem for M$ that you can read all zones?

Side note on schizophrenia, I bought the xbox, and I hate M$.
They don't ban people who use those plastic plugs...

They ban people who install a mod chip -- they open up the box and install a new chip which lets them play pirated games, play imported games, play region 1 DVDs, run Linux, or run some kind of cheating software since it can run any software it wants.

As it is right now, the ONLY code that can run on the Xbox needs to be signed with a key from MS. Mod chips get around that restriction. To use hacked software for cheating, you need to run un-official code. To do that, you need a modchip. If you use a modchip, you can't connect to Xbox Live.

:bounce:

Asher
22-11-2002, 05:19:26
Oh, and the reason I've been so quiet lately is because I've actually been addicted to Xbox Live.

MechAssault, Ghost Recon, Unreal Championship, and MotoGP all fucking rule.

I'm up to 500th place in MechAssault now and rising! Nyeah.

Shining1
22-11-2002, 08:31:09
Cool! What hacks are you using?:D

maroule
22-11-2002, 08:33:23
ok, I understand the mod thing now
Asher, I have ADSL for my PC, will I be able to use the same cable connection for xbox live when it's launched in France?

Asher
22-11-2002, 08:40:34
Originally posted by Shining1
Cool! What hacks are you using?:D
Just the uncanny reflexes of a lifelong gamer on a fast connection with surround sound (good for positioning) and a bigscreen. :D

Asher, I have ADSL for my PC, will I be able to use the same cable connection for xbox live when it's launched in France?
I'm not sure what you're asking. Xbox Live only works with broadband internet: ADSL, cable internet, that kind of thing. To connect, all you need is standard ethernet cable and hook it into your cable/DSL modem or into a router of some kind. Note that this is NOT the same kind of cable used as a SystemLink cable: SystemLink is a crossover ethernet, quite different from CAT5/CAT5e used in standard ethernet...

So yes, you can use ADSL for Xbox Live just like your PC. But unless you've got some kind of internet connection sharing thing or you purchase additional IPs from your internet provider, only one can be on the internet at any given time.

Shining1
22-11-2002, 18:17:06
Just the uncanny reflexes of a lifelong gamer on a fast connection with surround sound (good for positioning) and a bigscreen.

Ah. Hardware.

Asher
22-11-2002, 22:01:30
150,000 Xbox Live Starter kits have already been sold in North America in its first week of availability. Much higher than expected.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.asp?Symbol=US:MSFT&Feed=PR&Date=20021122&ID=2128001

Most retailers are sold out and waiting for additional shipments, since only 150,000 were sent for the first week.

Totally Wired
23-11-2002, 00:25:15
:hmm: a lot of interpretations on that then. (a) no faith in own product's success or (b) engendering false shortage for hype purposes.

One can charitably interepet it as ignorance and uncharitably as cynicism.

Remember those poor saps queueing at midnight to be the first for Win95, 98 or XP or whatever.

Gotta Laff.

Asher
23-11-2002, 01:45:01
The reason they didn't anticipate very lots of people buying it was because it was restricted to broadband only and there are only a handful of games available for it right now.

Everyone (analysts included) thought it'd take Halo 2 on Xbox Live before it took off, but as it is right now it's sold more in North America in 1 week than the PS2 Network Adapter sold in 1 month...

There hasn't even been any real Xbox Live advertising on TV, radio, etc. There's the odd print ad or in a flyer for a store, but MS is waiting until early 2003 to promote the hell out of it when there's a lot more games available and the userbase balloons after Christmas.

Deacon
23-11-2002, 03:31:00
MS has enough cash to go into building a stable of game developers to eventually make money.

I remember the news stories about Win95. It seemed freaky to see people lined up to get Windows, especially since it was years before they could manage anything as stable as 2000. And some of those people were probably the goofballs who complained later after trying to get it to run on their 286s.

Shining1
23-11-2002, 06:56:26
Deacon: Yep.

But even as a die hard Gronk troll, I wouldn't critise the Xbox Live too much. M$ has probably made the first online gaming system that focuses on the quality of the experience rather than general inclusiveness.

* Fast (broadband only)
* Easy to use (the setup, from all accounts, is more or less plug and play (and not PC plug and play either).
* Cheat free (it's a lot harder to undetectably mod an Xbox than it is to rewrite PC code.)

Those are the most important things for getting a satisfactory online experience, even if all you can do is pilot giant robots around. Which, to be fair, isn't all that bad either:)

Sorry, but this is one M$ development that I am looking towards with a lot of hope.

Darkstar
23-11-2002, 08:29:04
Ash, US is Region 1... the XBox is already a region free DVD player?

My ISP doesn't care if I run multiple machines off my cable connection. So it just depends on the ISP. Especially with Broadband providers moving towards bit capped connections (making customers pay more for the bandwidth they originally had). Then they *really* don't care if you are running the whole block... it will just give you incentive to stay at the top subscription level.

Asher
23-11-2002, 08:49:51
I know the US/Canada is region 1, I was talking from a Euro/Oceania perspective since most everyone else here is from there :)

Funkodrom
23-11-2002, 11:07:18
I've got 5 speaker surround sound on my PC. :hmm:

Asher
23-11-2002, 19:34:53
Spectacular, Mike -- a lot of people do. :) (Even I do! Wow.)

Lurker
24-11-2002, 15:54:04
I don't have speakers for my computer. I ran out of wall outlets to plug them into.

Funkodrom
25-11-2002, 10:07:26
Originally posted by Asher
Spectacular, Mike -- a lot of people do. :) (Even I do! Wow.)

ie. Not a selling point for the X-Box live for online gaming.

Shining1
25-11-2002, 13:07:04
Inability to load hacks and cheats IS, however.

Asher
25-11-2002, 19:23:51
Originally posted by Funkodrom
ie. Not a selling point for the X-Box live for online gaming.
But that's not what I intended by it. I was using it as an excuse for how well I was doing.

There is actually an advantage when you have surround sound. You can tell where people are without seeing them, almost precisely.