PDA

View Full Version : The Two Towers : Spoilers included...

Darkstar
14-11-2002, 22:21:17
I was reading through my latest Popular Science, waiting for my hard drive to finish defragging, when I came across an interesting piece on the software used to make the big battle scenes in The Two Towers. It was an interesting piece, and in the middle of the piece, the Big Software Maker goes : 'We made them too realistic, I think. When you are watching the battle, keep your eyes out for the guys that answer and talk on their cell phones.'

Other then that... at the time of the interview, they were still working on the Return of the King's big battles... which of course are bigger then in Two Towers.

Venom
15-11-2002, 00:09:22
Now I will looks for phones.

Sean
15-11-2002, 00:12:05
Spoilers? Where?

FunkyFingers
15-11-2002, 09:11:11
Apparently when they first ran their battle simulation software, the advancing orcs did a runner rather than face the siege of the castle.

I've got a feeling that Return of the Jedi is going to be just a big battle fest, which has the chance to wear out it's novelty. Hope not.

Nav
15-11-2002, 09:42:57
That must be a joke, why would you include answering cellphones in battle simulation software, you'd actually have to program the action of using/answering in the first place...??

FunkyFingers
15-11-2002, 10:05:21
Perhaps they're the radio guys calling in for an air-strike?

maroule
15-11-2002, 10:38:47
they also programmed some orc soldiers to have wrist watches, in the honour of Roman style italian movies of the 50's (where the most of the centurions had Rolex)

FunkyFingers
15-11-2002, 10:50:47
I heard they programmed some of them to literally poo their pants

Venom
15-11-2002, 15:15:17
And it true Braveheart style they programmed the ones in the background to mock fight and laugh and have a good time.

Darkstar
16-11-2002, 03:49:40
Humm... they didn't mention anything about the orcs just bailing. They did mention that the first time the ran there software, one human versus one orc, the pair just danced, never fought. Due to having the obstacle avoidance levels set too high.

The also mentioned that the *first* time they tried out a melee, *some* of the orcs, as well as the humans, looked at what was going on, and ran off the other way while their companions 'fought like hell'. They claim it was spooky, as they hadn't put in such intelligence or behavior.

As far as the cell phone thing goes... hey, programmers have an odd sense of humor. It's how you get a flying sim in Excel, for instance. And artist do as well. Such as how there are naked pictures of Snow White and Cinderalla, etc in their respective films.

In SimCopter, a programmer did add into the program 'Super Gays', who would leap great distances, ran around in shorts, deep kissed each other, and bit pillows standing up. Happened on Friday the 13th, as well as certain other days (National Gay Pride Day, his and his lover's birthdays, etc).

I expect some dedicated fans will, once TTT is out on DVD, catch all the jokes that were added in. So we will find out then if it is a joke or not.

Sean
16-11-2002, 03:52:45
You didn𔄩t mention the apocryphal suicide in the Wizard of Oz you mad crazy fool.

Darkstar
17-11-2002, 00:41:52
That's because I don't know about any suicide in Wizard of Oz.

I do know that artists do include the occasional odd nude shot in mainstream film animations. You aren't going to notice them at 1/24 a second exposure, and they do it for a lark.

The Mad Monk
17-11-2002, 18:21:59
Originally posted by Darkstar
Humm... they didn't mention anything about the orcs just bailing. They did mention that the first time the ran there software, one human versus one orc, the pair just danced, never fought. Due to having the obstacle avoidance levels set too high.

What dance did they do?

Darkstar
19-11-2002, 03:37:41
The early build Massive dance.

FunkyFingers
17-12-2002, 17:04:41
The Dance of the Sugar-Sacked Fairy?? :lol:

(makes more sense if you've read the Back, Crack and Sack thread I know, but hey...)