PDA

View Full Version : Levellers

paiktis22
09-11-2002, 06:46:01
Can someone tell me what their latest "hit" is called please without any further comments?

Scabrous Birdseed
09-11-2002, 11:55:15
You're just being a provocative arsehole, so I've decided to make lots of comments.

The levellers haven't had a hit for years and years... The record company (or rather the publicist) keeps offering us live tickets and interviews not realising them and their style is dead. It's part of working for a student paper I guess- the tickets we want we have to chase down ourselves. Unless they're on Virgin, in which case we don't get them... Dolly Clew, their student-press-representative-cum-stoner-bitch is well difficult to deal with. The latest Levellers single is called "Come On". I expect we'll likely get it into the office at some point, it's of the type. Although surprisingly we got some high-profile material in this week, including the new TLC Album. Unfortunately, the record companies having no concept of a monthly newspaper, the majority tend to be non-reviewable, entirely in the wrong time-period for review. Occasionally we get sent stuff that's released just a day or two later... the record companies (or publicists) must know that's an impossible deadline to match. In the end, we have to track down any brilliant CDs ourselves, as per gig tickets above. This can be trickier than one expects at first. For example, I'm currently trying to hunt down the UK distributor of Sympathy for the Record Industry releases, which has proven an absolute bugger of a nut to crack. We're currently in an e-mail cycle, though, hopefully. I really want that Sympathetic Sounds of London CD....

Debaser
09-11-2002, 12:09:59
I think Sympathy for the Record Industry releases are distributed through either Rough Trade or Vital. Could be wrong though. If you manage to set up some kind CD blagging relationship with them, try and secure a copy of The Stuck-Ups album Human Doll Express (cat no. SFTRI 702). Then send it to me. Thanks.

You do know The Sympathetic Sounds of London isn't actually out yet right?

Debaser
09-11-2002, 12:31:21
BTW, did you know that their slogan was:-

"SYMPATHY FOR THE RECORD INDUSTRY"
"you've tried the rest, now go fuck yourself"

Quality

Scabrous Birdseed
09-11-2002, 12:33:50
Yes. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to review it. It fits in perfectly with our schedule, being released on Dec. 2, and we're perfectly timed to get a promo copy.

See, we've considered calling Rough Trade or XL (not really Vital though, might be them), but we're just not sure if that's where they are. We'll call them all as a last resort.

Blagging already released albums is not something we like to do... We want to use or our clout to get reviewable material.

Lazarus and the Gimp
09-11-2002, 13:54:40
Your student paper is a monthly?

The one I worked on was a weekly. I assumed that was the norm.

Scabrous Birdseed
09-11-2002, 14:06:38
I believe the majority are tritermly or monthly. I don't think we could afford any more issues, considering the going advertising rates.

paiktis22
09-11-2002, 15:26:45
Come on it is then.

I was embarased to ask about the Levellers in the first place (their image brings to my mind stinking cheese for some reason) that's why I saiod without comments.

It was not about you. I actually read what you wrote this time :)

paiktis22
09-11-2002, 15:28:00
BTW their latest single is nice.

Funkodrom
09-11-2002, 23:04:22
Why on earth can't you review something that's already been released?

The Shaker
09-11-2002, 23:10:18
released is so last year.

Scabrous Birdseed
10-11-2002, 10:41:15
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Why on earth can't you review something that's already been released?

We want people to be able to read up on, and decide over, forthcoming releases. Especially if it's a reasonably high-profile release, no-one will care about us if they've already seen a dozen reviews elsewhere and decided whether to buy or not. We're in it to be cutting edge not to be some sort of second-round copyists.

Also, record companies want their publicity concentrated and so send us only unreleased CDs.

The exception to the no-old-reviews rule is extremely obscure releases, but then it's not something we'd blag off record companies.

Provost Harrison
10-11-2002, 23:46:51
Ah yes, I like the Levellers. I haven't heard any of their stuff from the past few years, but their earlier stuff is good except 'A Weapon Called The World' which I never really liked...