PDA

View Full Version : Pratchett

Funkodrom
08-11-2002, 11:03:07
http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/sciencefiction/story/0,6000,835919,00.html

Scabrous Birdseed
08-11-2002, 14:51:10
I just got Night Watch yesterday. Haven't read it yet though.

Funkodrom
08-11-2002, 14:54:24
I've been tempted to buy it but I know it'll be in our house at Christmas so I'll read it then.

Scabrous Birdseed
08-11-2002, 14:58:52
If anyone is consdering it, it's only 8.99 on Amazon.

The Bursar
09-11-2002, 01:20:51
yeah, I'll be reading it around new year in all likelihood.

Sir Penguin
09-11-2002, 06:07:05
Ah, good, another Watch book.

SP--going through a Discworld book every day or two

Scabrous Birdseed
13-11-2002, 16:32:13
It was reasonably good. A bit darker than usual perhaps, too much psychology and too little philosophy. And, I dunno, the character of Vimes is starting to get reduced to sterotype again. And the time-travelling stuff was very flimsy indeed.

Some nice history-politics-Vetinari-as-a-kid stuff, admittedly. And it was coherent, well-plotted, had some nice ideas and not too many silly side-characters.

Sean
13-11-2002, 16:33:55
I think I’ll get a chance to read this this weekend.

Kory
19-11-2002, 18:42:05
By amusing coincidence, one of the few earlier Pratchett books I had not read was Guards, Guards!. So I picked up that and Night Watch yesterday. At the rate I read, I expect to be done with the latter, oh, tomorrow.

-- Kory (It'd be tonight but tonight's BUFFY night.)

Ted
06-12-2002, 07:59:55
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
It was reasonably good. A bit darker than usual perhaps, too much psychology and too little philosophy.

I actualy enjoyed the darkness. Gave the book a more serious tone.
I'd agree that there was a lot of psychology in it, but Pratchett treated it like a philosophy rather than a science. (I guess one could say it was a philosophy of human nature) and it took center stage in the plot rather than the usual side comments that Pratchett endears us with.

And, I dunno, the character of Vimes is starting to get reduced to sterotype again. And the time-travelling stuff was very flimsy indeed.

I like Vimes, I feel he's the most human of all Pratchett's "main characters." To me it seemed like he was trying to get back into the stero type on purpose. (at least if we're talking about the same sterotype) Bringing Vimes back to his roots, before the city worked.. so it was focused more on Vimes - nightwatch rather than Vimes - human. Though that only helped to make certian parts all the stronger (Like Vime's fourth thought)

I agree with the time-travelling stuff. That could have been handled better...

Some nice history-politics-Vetinari-as-a-kid stuff, admittedly. And it was coherent, well-plotted, had some nice ideas and not too many silly side-characters.

heh, silly side characters are why I tend to love reading prattchet. Their dialouge works.
Nearly all his characters in this one came of a lot more.... human? They just weren't coated in as much Prattechet fun as they normaly are and some of them were a touch too real.
Prehaps it was the lack of certian villians getting their cumupins in the end. I'm use to Prattchet putting a nice littlle bow on all his stories when they're done, we're left with having to know things will work out we just won't get to see them happen. If nothing else Pratchett did an excelent job of putting us in Vime's shoes on that account.

FunkyFingers
06-12-2002, 09:17:38
Have literally just started on the Discworld Series, currently enjoying "The Light Fantastic"

Scabrous Birdseed
06-12-2002, 12:53:40
They get progressively better, more lush and complex and deeper up until about Hogfather (with slightly wavering quality, occasionally, but still). The rest are... good but not as good. Except possibly The Truth, which I quite enjoyed.

FunkyFingers
06-12-2002, 13:55:08
Oficially how many Discworld Books are there now? There seem to be hundreds

Ted
06-12-2002, 15:58:13
28/29 depending on how you count.

Diskworld Novels:

The Colour of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Equal Rites
Mort
Sourcery
Wyrd Sisters
Pyramids
Guards! Guards!
Eric
Moving Pictures
Reaper Man
Witches Abroad
Small Gods
Lords and Ladies
Men at Arms
Soul Music
Interesting Times
Maskerade
Feet Of Clay
Hogfather
Jingo
The Last Continent
Carpe Jugulum
The Fifth Elephant
The Truth
Thief of Time
The Last Hero
Night Watch
Mauriece and his Amazaing Rodents (not officaly listed, it's actualy considered a children's book but it's not bad)

FunkyFingers
06-12-2002, 16:11:23
Bloody hell

TAZ
06-12-2002, 16:23:10
keep reading!

FunkyFingers
06-12-2002, 16:23:49
keep buying more like. Pratchett must be loaded

Sultan Bhargash
09-12-2002, 23:06:23
I am so glad this is out now. I finished "The Last Continent" last week, I have only to read:

Sourcery
Lords and Ladies
Equal Rites
Feet of Clay
Eric

To have done them all. And I am a massive Sam Vimes fan.

Resource Consumer
09-12-2002, 23:09:19
does he unblock drains as well?

Ted
11-12-2002, 21:05:54
Originally posted by Sultan Bhargash
I am so glad this is out now. I finished "The Last Continent" last week, I have only to read:

Sourcery
Lords and Ladies
Equal Rites
Feet of Clay
Eric

To have done them all. And I am a massive Sam Vimes fan.

Did you read the short stories:
The Sea and Little Fishes
Troll Bridge
Theatre of Cruelty

If not, read em now! =]

http://members.fortunecity.com/bookdepository/stories.html

(there's also Turntables of the Night which features *my* favourite chacater =)

enjoy!

Sultan Bhargash
11-12-2002, 23:05:46
Thanks Ted, the hunt for Pratchett around my neck of the woods is always catch as catch can.

You all know about this weekend's twinning of Anhk Morpork with wossname in Somerset, right?

Wish I could be there to see that...