PDA

View Full Version : Civ III: Play the World Goes Gold

Greg W
25-10-2002, 02:34:54
Infogrames and FIRAXIS Games are excited to announce that the fully loaded expansion to the greatest strategy game of all time has gone gold. Sid Meier's Civilization® III: Play The World(tm) will soon ship to retailers with games reaching store shelves as early as November 1st. Civilization III: Play The World offers an array of multiplayer options including traditional turn-based, simultaneous move, short games like Regicide, Elimination and Capture the Flag that can be played in under an hour, and the totally innovative Turnless mode that gives people the option of playing a fast-paced game of Civ with players around the world.

We've also added 8 new civs with new leaders and unique units, new map features like outposts, airfields, and radar towers, new interface controls including auto bombard, rally points, stacked movement and streamlined espionage, and a greatly enhanced game editor.
I can guess at the reception this'll get here, but some others like me may be looking forward to it. :p

Darkstar
25-10-2002, 02:45:54
You are just a glutton for punishment, aren't you.

;)

Sir Penguin
25-10-2002, 03:52:36
It's, like, totally innovative!

SP

Shining1
25-10-2002, 04:47:16
Infogrames, ARRRRGGGHHH!!!!

Aredhran
25-10-2002, 06:50:20
:drool: can't wait to get it...

NOT
:nervous:

Resource Consumer
25-10-2002, 15:12:15
the greatest strategy game of all time

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Note also the arrogance - we weren't civilized befire Sid.

Sid Meier's Civilization®

a bit like

Charles Darwin's Evolution®

or

Mother Kelly's Doorstep®

Resource Consumer
25-10-2002, 15:14:17
Or

Paddy McGintie's Goat®

notyoueither
31-10-2002, 00:05:34
It's on store shelves in the US and Canada.

Before you rush out to buy it, look at the version number. Then check some of the forums to see what the dedicated have to say about it.

Some people may want to wait and see what the patches will do.

Resource Consumer
31-10-2002, 09:31:25
"Patches". Sid doesn't do patches. He does "enhancements" remember

Aredhran
31-10-2002, 12:40:09
LOL

This is the most screwed up thing I have ever seen, I never thought Firaxis would release something THIS buggy, i do not think I am ever buying a firaxis release until I hear word from the community

From some guy registered Oct 2002 at Poly

... come and join us on the Dark Side, together we shall rule the galaxy ...

Resource Consumer
31-10-2002, 12:52:54
Sometimes wisdom has to be gained the hard way - it cannot be given....

Aredhran
31-10-2002, 12:57:09
Amen brother RC !

Scabrous Birdseed
31-10-2002, 13:09:12
Have you seen the patch fix list? It includes such lovely things as fixing the fact that the game thought you'd won when you in fact lost. :)

MDA
31-10-2002, 13:16:34
that's got to be a feature.

Resource Consumer
31-10-2002, 16:33:35
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
Have you seen the patch fix list? It includes such lovely things as fixing the fact that the game thought you'd won when you in fact lost. :)

:lol: Only Firaxis could do that:)

Greg W
31-10-2002, 22:27:50
Did you read the specific details though? That only happened if you lost your king on the first turn of an MP game. Still, ammusing tho. :D

notyoueither
01-11-2002, 00:47:01
Yup. I scratched my head when I read that. Especially since I had recently played one to the bitter end of the last city falling.

notyoueither
01-11-2002, 00:49:02
I'm surprised they even found that one.

How often would someone lose a King on turn 1?

Pop a hut, get barbs, attack one and lose. Other than that???

notyoueither
01-11-2002, 00:50:52
Originally posted by Resource Consumer
"Patches". Sid doesn't do patches. He does "enhancements" remember

Why the hate? Or is it severe dislike? I'm not sure.

Just asking.

Darkstar
01-11-2002, 06:39:15
Because it means they are selling a faulty product.

Businesses are pushing for a zero flaw/bugs for software again. Funny thing is, it's the Software business guys doing it. I guess they figure they can get lots of money selling the how to have a zero flaw/bug classes to the actual software makers.

And I thought it was *Brian*, not Sid, that hated the term 'patches'. Sid's had plenty of games for patches. And it seems he really likes that cash cow... pay for patches.

Resource Consumer
01-11-2002, 09:21:09
Originally posted by notyoueither
Why the hate? Or is it severe dislike? I'm not sure.

Just asking.

Neither really. History.

Just that this lot have made a career of shoving faulty products out of the door and then saying "sod you" to the poor punters who bought the thing.

Darkstar, strictly it was Jeff Morris who trumpeted the enhancement thing IIRC. Remember, there are no bugs in Firaxis products

Aredhran
01-11-2002, 10:14:59
And it was Enchantments anyway...

Resource Consumer
01-11-2002, 11:25:03
Whatever happened to good old Benny?

Qweeg
01-11-2002, 12:38:30
WEH-HEEY! great! I'm really looking forward to this, Civ3 has improved with the patches, and by the looks of it- with Civ3G it is now more improved then ever before!

You Haters can ckeep on hating, but for da Lovers- Hellooo Bay-beh!:)

Resource Consumer
01-11-2002, 12:42:47
There's always one;)

Darkstar
02-11-2002, 06:39:56
RC, you could be right. But I remembered it was JM telling us that Brian insisted that it was 'enhancements' and not 'patches' because they added something new in with the bug corrections. I suppose JM could have been passing the buck on who was so stuck up or concieted or whatever you want to call it.

Darkstar
02-11-2002, 06:40:37
Oh... I'm still laughing at 'Game of the Year' Civ3 edition. Shouldn't that be the MP/Pay for patch?

Darkstar
02-11-2002, 06:41:38
And I just say that in the stores today (game of the year edition). It's got loads of extras! What are they? Everything that came in the Tins, minus the tin, and 3 new world maps! Wow! What a deal!

Darkstar
02-11-2002, 06:44:32
And, continuing to push up my hidden post count ;), I was really laughing looking at the box for the game. One small screen of the world map (that isometric view), the title screen, the city view, and the banner of leader heads. Whoa! Now we know why they included all those graphics in the game... so they had something interesting for the cover!

notyoueither
02-11-2002, 09:49:11
You really hate this thing, don't you Darkstar?

Forgive me while I enjoy civ'in. :p

BTW, count me as two.

Resource Consumer
02-11-2002, 19:02:13
I never even got a proper CD case with my CivIII. Cheapskatin' bastards...

Then again, those of you that want a fully functional game don't even get a disk - you have to download it;)

notyoueither
02-11-2002, 22:33:39
:lol:

True.

But then again, we all get to be in the beta test too. :p

Darkstar
03-11-2002, 07:28:58
Yep. And you paid for it. Twice now, for NYE. ;)

Greg W
03-11-2002, 21:22:38
Yeah yeah, drag out the old patch issue again. :rolleyes:

Fact is there are almost no games that come out not needing to be patched. In fact I'd be surprised if anybody could point me to half a dozen games by top of the line developers that don't need a patch. :p

Now, whether Firaxis are better or worse than other developers in terms of releasing faulty software - that's the real issue. SMAC was a real screw up due to using a proprietry graphics engine, that completely screwed up on about, what, 5-10% of PCs? Civ III I didn't think was quite so bad, most could at least play it out of the box.

Mind you, I didn't follow Civ III on the net when it first came out, so I shall await DS telling me how bad it really was. :p

Resource Consumer
04-11-2002, 10:56:59
Agreed Greg. I think it is doubtful if any complex piece of software is released that does not need patching. However, there are some points here...

(1) The amount/extent of patching with SMAC (and some still unresolved issues)
(2) The eventual "pay for the game twice" solution
(3) Firaxis initial denial that the game was buggy then their eventual volte face into considering bugs as socially therapeutic community building.

Just comes down to a lack of credibility in my eyes.

Greg W
05-11-2002, 00:36:04
I dunno, I never managed to get my hands on the expansion, so I am not sure about all that pay for it twice stuff. And I wasn't following it on any boards at the time. To me, without the expansion, the game runs fine, but then again, it is entirely possible that I am unaware of any issues - I just haven't followed it in years now, and I seem to miss small bugs cos, I dunno, I just can't see them.

All I remember is their about-face on the graphics engine. And yeah, there were a fair few bugs. Then again, Civ II was patched so many times it wasn't funny. :rolleyes:

Resource Consumer
05-11-2002, 11:05:11
Mind you, I didn't follow Civ III on the net when it first came out, so I shall await DS telling me how bad it really was.

I don't think it was able to run on his computer