PDA

View Full Version : Railz Across America

Darkstar
24-12-2001, 05:50:40
Bought it last week. Tried it out. Summary Judgement: It sucked.

The game PLAYS like a board game with a bit of animation tossed in to make the screen 'alive'.

Track is layed by selecting a city and picking a nearby city that doesn't hate you or trains in general. Drawback: You can only connect certain cities together, PERIOD.

If you wanted/expected something like Railroad Tycoon 1/2 or even Transport Tycoon or Trade Empires, you will be VERY mistaken. If you expect a computer version of a simplish board game, then you are in the right stadium with Railz.

Resource Consumer
24-12-2001, 20:05:19
I was expecting a RRT thread.:D

Thanks, DS, I'll even avoid the bargain binz.

The Rusty Gamer
25-12-2001, 07:31:26
It's a matter of opinion whether or not this game sucks. It got some good reviews. I've enjoyed playing it myself. Sometimes it's a matter of "getting" a game. If you were expecting another RRT, then you'll be disappointed. It may look like RRT but that's as far as it goes. It play more like The Corporate Machine/Business Tycoon with it's reasonably fast gameplay, it's "nasty" cards etc. It's not supposed to be a grand epic of a game, it's supposed to be over in a relatively short period of time. If you have the patience to look deeper, not impose it with expectations ("it's not like RRT so I don't like it") but play it as a game in its own right without any preconceived notions, and try to actually "get" the game's own unique style of play, you may change your mind.

Darkstar
25-12-2001, 11:02:24
Rusty...

I 'got' the game. It was billed and sold and HYPED as the RRT family. It isn't. It isn't much of a business game, it isn't much of anything. I prefer my board games PHYSICAL. As a BOARD game, it would be killer. (And frankly, as a board game in RL, I liked it. Although I think the title was slightly different...)

If it's hyped as a RRT game, which it has been, and you get this game, you will be DISAPPOINTED. Which I was. If I have the money, there is no reason I shouldn't be able to run a direct track from say, New York to Washington. But the game doesn't allow it. It will however give you all the money for New York to DC freight and people. Only, the tracks don't get the congestion. As a board game, it's fun. As a computer version of a board game... well, they did well in making it. But it's not anything like RRT other then they BOTH have trains IN THEM.

The Rusty Gamer
26-12-2001, 04:19:03
Ah well, there's always the add-on due out in May, which will include new maps. So who knows what else they change?