PDA

View Full Version : CounterGlow game of the year poll poll

King_Ghidra
24-10-2002, 08:07:12
OK, maybe a tad premature, but i wanted to see what people think of a voting system for this year.

Last year iirc, it was 'one man one vote' which is all fine and dandy, but i think most of us would like to show our appreciation for more than one game.

This leaves us with (at least) a couple of options:

1) Have more than one category i.e. best console game, best pc game; or even more specific, like best beat-em-up, best RTS, etc.

2) Have one category but nominate more than one game i.e. nominate three games, top game gets 5 pts, second gets 3, third gets 1 and then add all the points up.

Personally i like number 2, because i don't think there are enough voters to have a decent turnout in lots of categories and also we have one 'Counterglow game of the year' which is a nice big award :)

Of course we could always stick with the old system or do something completely diferent, so please vote and express your preference!

Oh btw, i am happy to do the organising (such as is required) come the actual voting.

Funkodrom
24-10-2002, 08:28:06
I like the second option.

Once you have the list of winners in order of course one will be the highest placed console game, the highest placed RTS etc etc.

King_Ghidra
24-10-2002, 08:29:15
good point, i didn't think of it like that

King_Ghidra
24-10-2002, 09:21:24
THERE ARE PEOPLE POSTING IN THIS FORUM WHO HAVEN'T VOTED!!!! VOTE NOW YOU WORMS!!!!!

Funkodrom
24-10-2002, 09:24:29
After Venom's review I bet M:TW wins. :lol:

King_Ghidra
24-10-2002, 09:26:36
:D

actually, is it possible to make this thread a sticky?

Funkodrom
24-10-2002, 09:30:48
It is possible but I can't do it.

King_Ghidra@home
27-10-2002, 11:29:30
BUMP!!!!

5 votes, christ!

why do i bother?!?!?!?

The Shaker
27-10-2002, 11:34:51
6 now you twat.

Scabrous Birdseed
27-10-2002, 11:35:02
It's seven votes now.

The Shaker
27-10-2002, 11:37:07
and i voted for the wrong option as well :)

Scabrous Birdseed
27-10-2002, 11:41:43
And I cross-posted!

moomin
27-10-2002, 12:02:26
Quit whining already. Here's another vote for ya. Crybaby.

OldWarrior_42
27-10-2002, 13:50:42
KG.... its the weekend. Give these twats some time to get here and see this.

BTW, I voted #2.

:)

Venom
27-10-2002, 21:05:12
2nd option. Fuck voting on it. Just use that one.

BoltyBoy
28-10-2002, 03:51:50
What happens to the winning game? Do you go round to the developer's offices and give em a box of chocs and some roses?

I think that game...errm..the mod thing for RTCW is hands down the best. But I just want someone to give me roses.

Shining1
28-10-2002, 07:33:58
I favour this system:

Everyone gets to vote for as many games as they want. If it came out this year, and you think it's good, put it in your list. Whatever it is, Strategy, Action, Sim, PC, Console, the lot.

Then we can organise the results according to genre and overall votes.

The good thing about this is that you can get a LOT of games mentioned, but games will only rise to the top if a lot of people vote for them. That's nice IMO because it means people don't have to agonise over what they include or exclude if, say, they only get three votes, and likewise there's no fuss with rankings either. It also means that you get a lot of different games mentioned in the game of the year thread which can draw people's attention to games they otherwise might not have played - instead of everyone just (for instance:)) voting for WarcraftIII, Battlefield 1942 and PES2.

Shining1
28-10-2002, 07:35:43
BoltyBoy: Maybe when Counterglow gets as big as Gamespy...:)

Shining1
28-10-2002, 07:38:20
Oh yeah, and we should probably have some kind of eligibility rules so that we don't get a flood of 'MTV' or 'mod thing for RATM that is hands down the best' voters appearing out of nowhere. Like maybe a 10 Counterpoint Post minimum:).

Darkstar
28-10-2002, 08:34:11
I think 2002 has been a pretty poor year for games, actually.

I haven't voted yet. Still listening to the pros and cons according to people. ;)

What time period, exactly are we covering? Jan 1 to Dec 31 of this year?

Er... Post count minimum? Who's going to do that search? Not me! :D

Shining1
28-10-2002, 09:29:17
The Management can reliably handle that, and commonsense would suggest that votes from posters called MTW4Ev@B!tch@z should be marked down in priority:D

Darkstar
28-10-2002, 09:38:24
:lol:

Funkodrom
28-10-2002, 09:55:38
Gitaroo man!

Darkstar
28-10-2002, 10:00:38
Funko casts 100 votes for Gitaroo man. (I knew you'd do that... :D)

Funkodrom
28-10-2002, 10:30:32
Nah. It was good but it hasn't got quite the longevity to win game of the year.

At the moment it'd be between Warcraft III or PES2 but I haven't played enough PES2 to decide that yet. Gitaroo man would be third. LSN fourth. And I haven't played that many other games this year. RtCW was OK, especially MP but even that I didn't play too much.

Venom
28-10-2002, 13:22:26
I haven't really played a lot of good games this year, but my vote would be for Medal of Honor...that came out this year, right?

Shining1
29-10-2002, 04:23:25
Yep, early on though.

LadyRachel
29-10-2002, 04:29:45
Originally posted by Shining1
Oh yeah, and we should probably have some kind of eligibility rules so that we don't get a flood of 'MTV' or 'mod thing for RATM that is hands down the best' voters appearing out of nowhere. Like maybe a 10 Counterpoint Post minimum:).

If you're going to worry about floods of posters from other sites coming in and mass voting for certain games, then I think the easy "requirement" to make would be to say that you could only vote if you were registered before the voting began. You could put up an announcement a week or two in advance to warn people of that, so anyone out there that isn't registered and wants to vote has some advance warning to get registered.

Darkstar
29-10-2002, 06:39:23
S1... it's almost NOVEMBER. How is that early on for 2002 game season? I don't like to vote for games that just came out in December for the game of year... And I generally ignore any that get it while only being marketted for a couple of weeks before Christmas. So many games 'demo' or 'weekend' well, but don't stand up to real play.

Shining1
29-10-2002, 08:48:43
Well, it is early because it occurs near the start of the 2002 game session. If it had come out near the end, I would have termed it late.

Basically I was just answering Venom with an affirmation that I thought Medal of Honour did come out this year, instead of last year, but that it was indeed early on in the piece so he's kinda right to be checking the date on it.

If the game of the year comes out in December, it's still the game of the year. Or January. It's not that hard to factor in your perceptions of it based on it's newness. Basically, just take the number of good hours gaming you got from it (not including those that were consumed by frustrating or stupid design issues or bugs that you played through anyway), and you have a very reliable measure of what game you thought was the best that year. Much better than trying to base a decision around etherial factors like uniqueness, innovation, graphics or sound quality, etc.

It's a game, it has one purpose, to be fun. Nothing else is important in the decision.

King_Ghidra
29-10-2002, 09:00:12
Well, from what i see from the poll and thread responses so far (and also neatly tying in with my personal preference :)) the format of this year's CG game of the year award will be:

Every voter gets three votes which they must rank 1) best, 2) second best, 3) third best

1st places will be awarded 5pts, 2nd places 3 pts and 3rd places 1pt

The game with the most points in total will be the winnner!

Voters may vote for any game released in 2002 on any format or machine (even CG free game of the week!)

i suggest we have a seperate thread soon to discuss ideas for the game of the year, so that this kind of chat is kept out of the actual voting thread

thanks to everyone who voted in the poll!

Funkodrom
29-10-2002, 09:22:01
I like Rachel's idea that people need to be registered to vote in the game of the year thread before some kind of deadline.

King_Ghidra
29-10-2002, 09:46:44
why are people so worried about cheats and stuff, this is a local poll for local people, i'm sure it will be obvious if something dodgy is going on

Sean
29-10-2002, 09:48:30
They just want the rules to be clear so it doesn’t get messy.

What about AE voting?

Funkodrom
29-10-2002, 09:51:26
Yeah. We've hacked into enough polls in the past at other sites to know the value of having clear precise rules before anything starts.

As people have to post in the thread with their nominations then AE voting should be easy to spot. If someone has an AE that people think is a real poster then they deserve a vote. :D

OldWarrior_42
29-10-2002, 13:06:55
So then my Resource Consumer AE will be allowed to vote then, eh? :D

chagarra
29-10-2002, 13:17:11
Well, that's one way to get more than ten voters, or is that fifteen reals now....??

:D

Shining1
30-10-2002, 05:26:41
We all know WarcraftIII is going to win anyway:D

Resource Consumer
30-10-2002, 09:38:35
Originally posted by BoltyBoy
What happens to the winning game? Do you go round to the developer's offices and give em a box of chocs and some roses?

I think that game...errm..the mod thing for RTCW is hands down the best. But I just want someone to give me roses.

Beer first, roses later:)

I like KG's second suggestion.

Resource Consumer
30-10-2002, 09:39:47
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Yeah. We've hacked into enough polls in the past at other sites to know the value of having clear precise rules before anything starts.

As people have to post in the thread with their nominations then AE voting should be easy to spot. If someone has an AE that people think is a real poster then they deserve a vote. :D

Does that include being thought real on other fora;)

Funkodrom
30-10-2002, 09:46:35
We all know WarcraftIII is going to win anyway:D

My top spot is going to be very close between PES2 and Warcraft III.

And if AE's are thought real on other fora but posters here know they aren't real then if they vote in the game of the year and have to be exposed that would probably suck for the AE creator. :D

Resource Consumer
30-10-2002, 11:00:25
Yeah. Probably.;)

I can't think of a game this year that has totally grabbed me. Warcraft III pretty good. Not sure if Europa Universalis II counts as this year. CM4 out before Christmas? Was RtCW last year?(think it was).

And we should have a negative poll as well "Counterglow Turkey of the Year" or the "Darkstar prize for non-functional games".

Funkodrom
30-10-2002, 11:13:07
Last Years Poll (http://www.counterglow.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=746)

And last year's result:

So, this years Glowie for the best game is a three way split between

Civilization 3, Max Payne, and Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal.

Congratulations to all winners of this prestigious award.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was in last year's poll so I don't think it can count this time.

Nav
30-10-2002, 13:08:30
Last year we had a three way split, it would be good if we could have a definitive winner this year.

If there was a shared top sport we could separate them by the amount of 1st, 2nd, 3rd votes etc, if this still left a tie we could then allow the posters who voted for them to have a 'secret' re-vote (ie PM to Management or something), failing that a simple toss of a coin (or its virtual equivalent!) ?

Venom
30-10-2002, 13:27:32
Hmmm, we should probably not be allowed to vote on anything with results like that.

Although apparently last year was a crap year for games.

Sean
30-10-2002, 17:22:59
PES2 should run away with it. I fancy Super Monkey Ball as an outside bet, though, or I would if you weren’t all fools without Gamecubes.

Beta1
30-10-2002, 23:47:53
Hmmm this year its going to be tricky.

Bit stuck between GTA3 (well the PC version was 2002 wasnt it?) Jedi Knight 2 (if that was 2002), neverwinter nights and combat mission 2.

Shining1
31-10-2002, 02:52:28
There will be a few good contenders it seems:).

Funkodrom
31-10-2002, 09:31:49
I agree with going down to number of first places etc if there's a tie on score but if there's still a tie then there should be shared honours.

Also picking the top console game from the list etc means we'll have a whole bunch of winners.

Resource Consumer
31-10-2002, 09:47:31
I suppose we'd do the voting in January. So, all of those registered in 2002 would be eligible.

I like the idea of having only three choices. Choices are meant to be hard (although this year will probably be easier than most:))

Shining1
31-10-2002, 10:37:52
Limiting the choices doesn't really help the poll at all, though - which would seem to be a more useful measure than some mystic idea of how difficult choices are supposed to be.

A game will still only win if it gets a lot of votes from a lot of different people. The only difference is that if you don't limit the number of choices, you get more games mentioned, and people can talk about other interesting stuff like LSN and Morrowind.

Moreover, some of us only play PC games, while others play games on up to 4 (or more) different platforms. Does that mean they need to choose ONLY three games from all platforms? Which would cut down the number of games in the poll even further.

As far as I'm concerned, there really isn't a reason for counterglow to be running a 'game of the year' poll - other than it's fun. But one of the best things to come out of the last one was the extra games people mentioned, the stuff that I hadn't played but was curious about some people's take on. Ergo, limiting the number of choices reduces that aspect, and diminishes the interest of the whole thing.

Funkodrom
31-10-2002, 11:03:44
What if people can nominate one game as their game of the year (3 points) and as many Honourable Mentions as they want which get a point each?

Resource Consumer
31-10-2002, 11:09:54
Limiting the choices means that everyone has to think really hard about inclusion. Allowing a blank cheque is a bit like saying "this one wasn't too bad let's include this". You get nomination inflation and it gets really hard to spot the signal from the noise.

Sean
31-10-2002, 11:28:59
OK. Two wildcard games, plus one game from each platform, if you need it.

Shining1
01-11-2002, 05:33:31
You get nomination inflation and it gets really hard to spot the signal from the noise.

Not at all, in fact doing it that might well strengthen the signal. I believe last years results were of the 3-4 votes wins variety, because with the limited choices there was too little overlap. Hence it only took a couple of extra people to vote for CivIII and it won.

If everyone gets to mention the good games they played during the year, there will in all probability be more votes for the actual game of the year - you are less likely to get the scenario where there are 2-3 votes for the top 10 games because very few people's choices doubled up with anyone elses.

What should probably happen is Mike's suggestion of an 'honourable mention' system, where you choose ONE actual game of the year and a bunch of other games you found appealing. (I'd suggest that the GotY should only be worth 2 points, however, or you end up running close to the 3 votes WINS situation described above).

The real issue here is that we aren't gamespy or gamespot and we won't be getting 10000 votes in our reader's poll. ANYTHING that serves to increase the total number of votes is a very good thing.

Limiting the choices means that everyone has to think really hard about inclusion.

MY BRAINS HURTS!!

Darkstar
01-11-2002, 06:47:36
How about a Game of the Year match off? You know, like the babe offs? If people only vote for the games they liked and played, we'd get a good staggered list of best and most popular games that way.

Darkstar
01-11-2002, 06:50:28
Seeding would be determined by how many people nomated the game, and ties get seeded by random or first come, first listed?

Darkstar
01-11-2002, 06:57:09
If we don't want to do that, because it might take too long, then we should run a nomination, where everyone can nominate as many freaking games as they want, for a one or two week period. Then run an open poll... list all the noms, and let people just multi vote for their fun games. Most voted wins, and we can break out the top voted games for FPS, TBS, RTS, Console Platform, whatever.

King_Ghidra
01-11-2002, 09:13:22
i already suggested that we have a seperate thread for people to suggest what games they liked, intend to vote for this year, etc. This will deal with the 'one of the best things to come out of the last one was the extra games people mentioned, the stuff that I hadn't played but was curious about some people's take on' that shining1 mentioned.

when the actual voting starts everyone will be well aware of what games are out there. It's going to be tough to pick a top game whatever voting system you use (and especially if like me you have a lot of different consoles plus a pc :)).

I don't see any value in making this a proper poll or tournament. i hate the babes thing it drags on too long and if i don't show up on the right days i miss it all anyway.

we could argue the toss about how many points for 1st or 2nd or whatever all day , but i think the system i suggested is the simplest and most easy to understand. Frankly if there was any serious opposition i would be more inclined to step back to the 'one person one vote' rather than anything more complex.

Shining1
01-11-2002, 13:37:49
The simpler the better, indeed. The "babe" (god what a misnomer that turned out to be!) off thing should certainly be avoided.

My system negates the need to have a seperate thread for 'suggesting' games, though. As for 'when the actual voting starts everyone will be well aware of what games are out there' that still doesn't really affect the voting, unless people are going to vote for games they haven't actually played, which turns the whole thing into a bit of a farce.

Anyway, this is fun. We've almost devolved into vicious arguement here and it's still only October:).

Funkodrom
01-11-2002, 13:45:42
Own Goal

It's November.

Resource Consumer
01-11-2002, 13:57:05
I'm leaving forever

Sean
01-11-2002, 17:39:13
My system is the best.

Venom
01-11-2002, 18:25:46
In terms of how terrible it is.

Sean
01-11-2002, 18:32:45
It makes sense, allowing for multi-platform gamers and PC twats alike without diluting the quality of games.

Shining1
02-11-2002, 04:23:45
No, it just means multi-platform gamers get more votes:p.

Shining1
02-11-2002, 04:27:58
P.S: Mike, you are so fucking dead. That idiotic football game offends me beyond belief.

Darkstar
02-11-2002, 06:58:58
Hey, I'm all for simple. I just think we should generate an initial list of 'nominees' to begin with so people don't have to strain their brains trying to remember was this past January or last December that game came out in and got it's first rush on the Top Selling chart. ;)

I just figured mentioning the Babe off would pull a comment from Walrus, the next time he was through this forum. ;)

So, when will we have heard from the majority about what system we are using?

Sean
03-11-2002, 12:41:08
No, it just means multi-platform gamers get more votes:p. Which is only fair; it’s likely that they’ve played more new games.

Shining1
03-11-2002, 12:59:20
Not at all, the number of games you've played is limited by the time available to you, not your choice of platform. I've probably played nearly 10 new PC games this year, and that doesn't include hits like Medal of Honour and Battlefield that I haven't touched yet.

Sean
03-11-2002, 13:03:31
Console owners, especially those who own new consoles, will have played new games because they are often more suited to playign with friends.

Shining1
03-11-2002, 17:49:05
PC owners, especially those who have heard of the internet, will have played new games because they are often way more fucking fun that way.

Funkodrom
04-11-2002, 09:26:58
P.S: Mike, you are so fucking dead. That idiotic football game offends me beyond belief.

Huh? What did I do? I didn't think you'd played it.

Shining1
04-11-2002, 13:26:59
I meant 100-0. I know nothing about PES other than it seems to hold the attention of hardcore football fanatics, which is a fairly good sign for a football game:).

Funkodrom
04-11-2002, 13:32:13
Oh right.

Funkodrom
04-11-2002, 13:32:38
100-0 is a game designed specifically to be annoying, nothing to do with football really.

Shining1
04-11-2002, 14:00:38
We should have given you a good kicking while we had the chance.

What were we thinking?

*sigh*

Funkodrom
04-11-2002, 14:03:26
You were probably dribbling piss into your shoes in terror at the thought of me kicking your arses all the way to Australia.

Funkodrom
04-11-2002, 14:03:50
Anyway it's Funkyfingers' game not mine.

LadyRachel
04-11-2002, 14:45:10
Originally posted by Funkodrom
You were probably dribbling piss into your shoes in terror at the thought of me kicking your arses all the way to Australia.

Own goal.

Shining1
04-11-2002, 14:55:30
:lol:

Funkodrom
04-11-2002, 15:01:43
Oh yeah, you weren't wearing shoes.