PDA

View Full Version : Essential Miles David

FunkyFingers
23-10-2002, 11:51:38
Ok guys
I want to get a seminal Miles Davis recording on SuperAudio CD.

The wonderful people at www.play.com have a wide range of David SACDs for sale. Anyone got any views on which of these would be the killer purchase?

Kind of Blue
Sketches of Spain
Big Fun
Black Beauty
Jazz at the Plaza
Live:Evil
Miles Smiles
Round About Midnight

They're all the same price and they've all been remastered from the original analogue sources in to the lovely SACD.

Your thoughts please! Seeing as you were all so helpful with my previous Rolling Stones SACD Dilemma, I hope you can help again!

Funkodrom
23-10-2002, 11:58:07
I thought Miles David was Craig's brother for a second. ;)

King_Ghidra
23-10-2002, 12:00:14
who's craig miles?

Debaser
23-10-2002, 12:06:28
If you don't have any already, then Kind of Blue is the essential Miles Davis album.

What kind of thing do you want? His albums range from traditional slick trumpet and sax, smokey room on a rainy night jazz, to 70's jazz/rock fusion, to shitty over-produced 80's jazz elevator music.

FunkyFingers
23-10-2002, 12:16:55
Awful typo in the thread title there :nervous:

I like the smokey room/rainy night type of jazz and the slick trumpet/sax stylee.

I thought Kind of Blue was the one, but wondered if these other offerings might offer something else?

Debaser
23-10-2002, 12:43:00
Miles Davis albums are notoriously hit and miss. There are literally hundreds of them, mostly recorded live, mostly for Miles fanatics only.

The following is based on the opinions of my dad (big Miles fan, particularly his early, smokey laid back jazz period. He thinks each of the re-mastered albums you mention represents the best of Miles Davis output from that period)

Kind of Blue - Mid - Late 50's. Quality. Recomended by everyone.
Sketches of Spain - Early 60's, quite good apparently.
Big Fun - Early 70's. WARNING - Jazz/funk alert!
Black Beauty - See Big Fun
Jazz at the Plaza - ??
Live:Evil - 70's, great band, bit funky
Miles Smiles - Mid 60's.
Round About Midnight - Same period as Kind of Blue (mid-late 50's)

FunkyFingers
23-10-2002, 13:08:03
Count Basey - thanks for the input, most appreciated!

I did a while back get this box-set called "Early Miles Davis" and it is almost unlistenable at times, as you say really for the fanatics.

I think Kind of Blue is a shoe in, but might take a punt on either Sketches or Midnight...

FunkyFingers
24-10-2002, 12:12:31
Ok, I plumped with Round about Midnight, and also a recording of Verdi's Requiem, by the Philadelphia Orchestra conducted by Eugene Ormandy. Should be good...

SACD review when discs arrive!

Lazarus and the Gimp
24-10-2002, 18:51:18
Of the "cool" period, I'd pick "Kind of blue".

Of the later fusion period, "Bitches Brew".

FunkyFingers
25-10-2002, 08:25:41
My brother has Kind of Blue on SACD, I'll borrow his and see what it's like.
Trouble with SACD is that you can't do a digital copy of the DSD layer. This is one reason why the record companies are so keen on it.