PDA

View Full Version : Pay to play...

Funkodrom
23-10-2002, 11:45:21
From my top secret sources (berkshirelive messageboard) I've finally got hold of the full details of the band ticket buying scheme offered by The Fez Club in Reading. Below is the e-mail from the promoter sent to one of the local bands.

This deal is offered to Local Bands who wish to perform at the Fez on Local Band Nights or as Support Bands to signed and touring acts.

Bands who have already benefited from this deal include Kaldera, Twofold, Baby Boo, Monarchy, Mighty 590, Brass Monkeys, Fume, Flipcycle, Opus, School for the Gifted, Sylosis, Heckler, The Lost Boys, ChrisKilledAnna, Joski, Aubrey Lemmon, Blind II Reality, JFK, Ant Salon and Rebus.

JFK made over 100 for their gig which is more than most signed support acts get.
In fact it is more than we paid for Miss Black America, No Comply, Mew, X is Loaded, this Girl, Douglas, The Datsuns, etc...........

THE DEAL

We found that with a flyer deal (1 flyers) bands could knock out 200+ flyers and only get 2 or 3 come in on the night. Also, bands that convinced us they had a following were failing to attract a crowd. It costs 1100 to stage an event at The Fez before we pay any of the acts (Hire, PA/Lights, Security, Box Office, Posters, Flyers, Tickets, etc...........) so we need bodies through the door just to cover costs.

We all need to make money so the ticket deal is the fairest way to ensure everyone benefits from their efforts.

You buy 40 tickets in advance for 1 less than the advance ticket price and sell them yourselves to make a profit of 40 per book. Break even is at 32 tickets but if you're not interested in making money you can pass the discount on to your fans and sell 40 tickets at the cheaper advance price.

EXAMPLE

If the show is 5adv/7door/6flyer. You'd get the tickets at 4 each, so the book would cost you 160. If you sell every ticket, you've made 40 before you even play!!!
You can also have more than one book, as JFK did, and make even more!

We also supply you with 200 flyers. You get 1 flyer too - if any come in on the day!

:bash:

What a load of shite.

protein
23-10-2002, 11:48:57
I still have the "Pay to play NO WAY" Musicians Union sticker at home.

Maybe we should inform the MU?

Funkodrom
23-10-2002, 11:53:58
I would be worried about pissing off the promoter but there's no way I'd get involved in that deal even though we could easily sell 40 tickets, that's not the point.

Funkodrom
23-10-2002, 12:01:53
Speaking of which I was thinking about joining the MU. 66 a year.

Debaser
23-10-2002, 12:08:04
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Speaking of which I was thinking about joining the MU. 66 a year.

I think you'll find that if you check the small print it's 66.6 pounds a year.

King_Ghidra
23-10-2002, 12:09:13
x-fear!!!! :shoot:

Funkodrom
23-10-2002, 12:13:23
Originally posted by Debaser
I think you'll find that if you check the small print it's 66.6 pounds a year.

:lol:

King_Ghidra
23-10-2002, 12:14:40
that was a joke? god couldn't he flag it for us in future or something?

Funkodrom
23-10-2002, 13:26:32
If you were rock you'd have understood it.

protein
23-10-2002, 14:28:20
Funko, what are they doing about promotion? Can we do some flyers?

Funkodrom
23-10-2002, 15:04:19
For Bar Oz? I am going to try and talk to Luisa about it on Friday at the battle of the bands. I don't see why she'd be against us doing that. If she's confirmed the line up I've got contacts for the other bands.

Provost Harrison
26-10-2002, 13:05:48
Pay to play...

Story of my life :(

;)

Yeah, this sounds like seriously shit deal. We all know the venue manages to get enough people in and makes it's money. As I say, I would boycott it on principle, cheeky bastards!