PDA

View Full Version : The world needs more garage punk bands

Lazarus and the Gimp
16-10-2002, 21:24:34
It does. I feel that we can't get by on just all those Vines and Datsuns and other bands. We need far more rudimentary bawling by spotty twats.

Lazarus and the Gimp
16-10-2002, 21:25:56
Incidentally- I've just worked up why that fucker out of the Vines winds me up. It's because he reminds me of Damon Albarn. Only even more slappable.

paiktis22
16-10-2002, 21:26:13
I'm sure they are out there somewhere.

Lazarus and the Gimp
16-10-2002, 21:27:38
However he is responsible for a heart-warming story. Last year he attempted to ban all the other members of the band from doing interviews and speaking to journalists, leaving him as voice of the band. They told him to piss off.

Lazarus and the Gimp
16-10-2002, 21:28:31
Incidentally, aren't The White Stripes a load of shit?

paiktis22
16-10-2002, 21:28:37
A healthy reaction.

paiktis22
16-10-2002, 21:30:44
I just listened to their two or three "hits" a suspect word to begin with, but I liked what I heard. Then again if 99% of current music is shit, you get more easily enthused.

Lazarus and the Gimp
16-10-2002, 21:32:09
Oh it's great. "Let's play really fast and just maybe people will overlook the fact that I can barely hold this guitar and couldn't hold a tune if it was superglued to my larynx. Hey! How punk am I? Incidentally, I'm fucking my sister, Mr Journalist! Pleeeeeeeaaase write about me! Pleeeeeeeeaaaase write about me!"

paiktis22
16-10-2002, 21:33:22
Really?
I just listened to their songs. Being on the rock news deprived periphery of Europe has its advantages I guess.

paiktis22
16-10-2002, 21:35:26
BTW I'm amazed there is virtually nothing about the Dubrovniks on the net. I heard some great songs from them but it's like they never existed.

Lazarus and the Gimp
16-10-2002, 21:39:43
Are they garage punk, perchance?

Scabrous Birdseed
16-10-2002, 21:40:01
Of course the world needs more Garage Punk bands. Don't be silly, it's the ultimate musical expression evar dood. And everyone I know who disliked the White Stripes changed their minds after seeing them live.

Scabrous Birdseed
16-10-2002, 21:40:31
The guy from the Vines is a smug little twat though.

paiktis22
16-10-2002, 21:41:16
Are they garage punk, perchance?

Not really. They are too complicated for that. But they also have a dirty sound. Just not so pissed off as garage punk. More on the psychotic edge.

Lazarus and the Gimp
16-10-2002, 21:46:21
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
Of course the world needs more Garage Punk bands. Don't be silly, it's the ultimate musical expression evar dood. And everyone I know who disliked the White Stripes changed their minds after seeing them live.

It takes more than a sighting of tits on a drummer to change my opinion.

Scabrous Birdseed
16-10-2002, 21:49:01
You won't be looking at the drummer at all, believe me.

Scabrous Birdseed
16-10-2002, 21:49:34
Except when they do the back-to-back hi-energy guitar solo thing.

Funkodrom
16-10-2002, 21:51:16
The Vines are great. They aren't garage punk though.

The White Stripes appear good despite their annoying ponceyness.

More garage punk bands? Is that possible? One or two of them are good. At least the White Stripes are vaguely original.

Scabrous Birdseed
16-10-2002, 22:04:43
I think the wave might be ebbing out. I heard a bit of a new album by a band called Mon Chi Chi a couple of days ago and they sounded distinctly unoriginal, despite having strong riffs and melodies, the kind of thing everyone would have swooped up six months ago. The genre is evolving- Mando Diao are way ahead in Sweden, for instance, and hopefully the Detroit scene (everyone NEEDS to own a copy of The Sympathetic Sounds of Detroit, come on people) will refine the bluesier aspects of their output. Thugh from the last White Stripes album the movement is the other way, we shall see when the new one comes out in a couple of months' time.

Hopefully the extraneous stuff latched on will shred off leaving a decently vaible scene of non-hyped-driven garage rockers. Even if you think it's moronic you always need a cache of cocky, energetic little bastards to drive up the tempo and preventing a new Britpop or Prog Rock era.

Next Big Thing, Hopefully: The combination of live, rootsy instrumentation and urban exotica with impeccable, hardline production. Litsen to Sizzla's "Ghetto Revolution" for a primitive pre-taster of what I hope will be the next big thing in Rock.

Funkodrom
16-10-2002, 22:11:26
The best thing about this garage rock phenomenon and before it the nu metal overkill that it's causing a rise in real rock bands rebelling against all that.

Scabrous Birdseed
16-10-2002, 22:13:11
The garage bands are as close to Real Rock as you can get these days. As opposed to that muddy, indistinct beatless grunge nonsense you litsen to.

Funkodrom
16-10-2002, 22:19:15
We established a long time ago that you didn't understand what the modern term Rock meant.

Anyway I thought I listened to metal? Please tell me what genre I listen to and stick to it.

Sean
16-10-2002, 22:26:42
Emocore.

Scabrous Birdseed
16-10-2002, 22:29:43
You listen to "Alternative". It's all that soft drivel, Metal, Grunge, etc. Bunch of angsty americans who can't do proper three-chord-killer-riffs-rock but instead resort to semi-arty predictably bland easy-litsening mess.

Funkodrom
16-10-2002, 22:43:00
:lol:

#1: This is a pleasant enough piece of disco-pop. *grabs crotch* Ow! No, in all seriousness this is pleasant enough, quite fun eighties nonsense with only the morticum of a Bon Jovi/Queen factor and some unfortunate metal Posturing™ to detract from what's essentially quite an enjoyable pop tune. Like the Falsetto.

#2: This one grows on you, definately. Some sort of combination of Saints-style Aussie Punk and classic Dolls-style Hard Glam, it's got a great riff and a memorable-enough chorus, lots of energy and the requisite amount of raw party goodness. Nice!

#5: This may be my favourite track on the CD, which considering I usually hate recent metal is exceedingly strange. I think it's because it just barely skims the rim of what you've heard before, dodging around the easily triggered pitfalls like a ballet-dancing monkey. Everything almost sounds like it's about to become Linkin Park, but then pulls away at the last minute to your great surpirse. Not least of these little startlers is the under-two-minute length.

#14: Of all the songs on the album, this is the one I've the hardest time capturing. I haven't got the vocabulary to describe this- It's one piece Bowie, one piece pop-punk, one peice musical, one piece boy- band, one piece immensely cool interwoven instrumental work, one piece party nonsense, lots of pieces stuff I have no idea how to attribute. I love it, but I can't describe it other than by picking up the glorious little details. Like the strange baseline that occurs a bit in that's absolutely brilliant, and then dissappears. Or the chanted choruses. Or...

Scabrous Birdseed
16-10-2002, 22:47:31
Those were the non-"Alternative" tracks. And I keep telling you the first one was a joke. The second one: Punk. The third one: enegetic, interesting metal, the exception. The last one: Art-Punk of some sort.

Scabrous Birdseed
16-10-2002, 22:49:50
As evidence for you liking crappy music I present to you: (a) System of a Down, (b) Shinobivsdragonninja, (c) Trash-Metal, (d) At The drive In, (e) Therapy?, (f) Jimmy Eat World. All predictable, all muddy, all energyless, all crap guitars, all squarely fitting into in the shitty "Alternative" night at Ziggy's.

Debaser
16-10-2002, 23:09:33
??]Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed [/i]
As evidence for you liking crappy music I present to you: (a) System of a Down, (b) Shinobivsdragonninja, (c) Trash-Metal, (d) At The drive In, (e) Therapy?, (f) Jimmy Eat World. All predictable, all muddy, all energyless, all crap guitars, all squarely fitting into in the shitty "Alternative" night at Ziggy's. [/QUOTE]

And you like (a) Shakira, (b) Missy Elliot, (c) Nelly etc. All interchangable, all predictable, all using the same synth and drum sounds, all squarely fitting into the piss poor, 99p a pint, wanky beer boy and slapper girl, guaranteed a fight after "Urban" night at any shitty club anywhere in England.

Your point is what?

Scabrous Birdseed
16-10-2002, 23:25:58
Shakira? :hmm:

You're obviously out of touch with the qualities that make music. The sounds of Urban music are so radically different from just a few years ago that it's insane. Absolutely marvellous, unpredictable beats from all around the globe, done in a really artistically viable, minimalist way. Any genre that within it's confines can amalgamate extreme beats from Mexico to India into a sound full of both integrity and real extreme attitude is perfectly fine with me.

All Urban music is not great. But when I hear another completely unpredictable beat fall that still feels like it makes you fucking move, I get shivers that only the very best of pop music can produce.

And note I never said anything about the crowd that listens to "Alternative music". Apparently your ability to describe what you see as predictability in music as diverse as Urban is limited to felling faintly racist comments about the percieved listenership.

Debaser
16-10-2002, 23:57:49
Sorry, Aaliyah.

Every once in while an RnB producer will come up with a sound which is genuinly new and exciting, and far more groundbreaking and innovative than The Strokes or The White Stripes or any rock act you care to mention, I agree. Most of the time however, all I hear on the radio are lame, predictable watered down versions of the last good idea. You could take any Nelly baking track and swap it with any Aaliyah backing, and nobody would know. Artists (performers not producers) aren't defined by their own sound, they are defined by fashion.

Anyway rock vs RnB arguements are stupid. Music is music, you don't choose what you like, and like Michael Jackson said to Paul McCartney, I'm a lover not a fighter.

What part of my comments was racist?

Funkodrom
17-10-2002, 08:27:11
At the Drive-In are one of the greatest bands of all time.

None of your comments were racist. Only possibility is that Scabby misinterpereted something you said.

Mr. Bas
17-10-2002, 08:45:58
The world sure as hell needs less nu-metal or, even worse, nu-grunge bands. Although I'm not sure on the more garage punk, unless it means stuff like "How could hell be any worse?" and "Babyteeth" instead of the White Stripes and the Strokes.

Funkodrom
17-10-2002, 09:06:00
Oh shit yeah. People like Puddle of Mudd and Nickelback murdering grunge make me want to cause death on a Venomesque scale.

Scabrous Birdseed
17-10-2002, 10:43:29
Debaser: It's really a return to the producer-pop of the sixties, I mean, surely The Crystals and The Ronettes were equally interchangable? (The Crystals weren't even present at the recording of Da Do Ron Ron!)

In Jamaica it's considerably "worse"- One "riddim" (produced backing track) is used upwards of 50 times with different artists that only add some melody on top. It becomes a competition of who can make the best track using exactly the same form. The results range from the simple and predictable to astoundingly weird stuff...

And this is where Sizzla's latest album comes in. It's produced to entirely fit his own personal style, involving lots of old-school roots instrumentation, but given the Urban edge. It's not astoundingly well done (often it's just too rootsy), but it's a valiant attempt at creating something new from the urban perspective.

Another absolute hotbed of urban development is, strangely enough, the French-Caribbean Zouk R&B scene. Famous in the last few years mostly for being incredibly bland with a fainly Zouk beat in the background, this years it's totally exploded in it's undergound lair. Some amazing rhythms rivalling the best America could offer last year.

I'm also putting my hopes on the newMissy Elliott album. :)

None of your comments were racist, on futher inspection. They were snobbish. :p

PosterBoy
17-10-2002, 11:16:08
There is nothing wrong with being snobish and musically elite. As you should know Scabby

Scabrous Birdseed
17-10-2002, 11:26:26
He's being snobbish and socially Elite.

Funkodrom
17-10-2002, 11:26:26
:lol:

Funkodrom
17-10-2002, 11:46:48
I was laughing at PosterBoy.

Am I being socially elite if I say I don't like hanging around police stations?

SATAN
17-10-2002, 12:00:34
i don't like hanging around gay bars

SATAN
17-10-2002, 12:00:58
actually no, it's my girlfirend who doesn't like me hanging around gay bars

PosterBoy
17-10-2002, 12:29:44
It's easy to be socially elite if you have no friends.

Funkodrom
17-10-2002, 12:32:17
Ah.... I'm sure you'll find some.

Debaser
17-10-2002, 16:46:50
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
He's being snobbish and socially Elite.

Definately! Who wants to hang around with pikeys?

Funkodrom
17-10-2002, 17:45:20
I have no idea... so BBBs as usual tonight? ;)

Debaser
17-10-2002, 18:34:02
Maybe, let me see.......

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-10-2002, 18:57:34
Originally posted by Funkodrom
The best thing about this garage rock phenomenon and before it the nu metal overkill that it's causing a rise in real rock bands rebelling against all that.

Again.

The big gripe I've got about Garage Punk is that it's lazy and unimaginative. It's all posturing.

Scabrous Birdseed
17-10-2002, 23:31:31
I've always preferred unimaginative to revisionist. There's a thin line between The Improved Pop and The Arty Blah Maskerading As Lamb. Every time the grage performers have come out it's been when the music industry needed a good fucking kick up the arse because they moved away from good, clean, simple party music which is frankly what pop is/should be all about.

And surely you don't want humble bands? Good lord.

Funkodrom
18-10-2002, 08:59:40
Unimaginative is the biggest crime in music.

Goat Spawn
18-10-2002, 12:50:06
Jesus, you guys haven't really grow'en up since secondary school,

Why are we still arguing Guitar vs. Electronic??????????

The two are most inclusive......

Think beyond the genre

Debaser
18-10-2002, 12:57:15
Originally posted by Goat Spawn
Think beyond the genre

You talk pointless, ambigous shit. In a nice way.

Debaser
18-10-2002, 12:59:18
Originally posted by Goat Spawn
Jesus, you guys haven't really grow'en up since secondary school,

And besides, we never talked about stuff like this in secondary school, we talked about Dominic Eddles giant apple head, and how you had Action Man eyes.

Funkodrom
18-10-2002, 13:00:08
It's nothing to do with guitar versus electronic.

Goat Spawn
18-10-2002, 13:01:33
I do realise - I have been to the pub, and therefore find it dificult to articulate myself.

However the point is still valid. As someone having an objective poin tof view, this conversation does start to degenerate into guitar vs. electric.
Let us consider bands like RATM, Kool Keith, Senser, Body Count, Wutang. etc. All who have blended things very successfully

PS: See you all tonight at BOB?

Funkodrom
18-10-2002, 13:07:33
Except RATM don't use any electronic elements other than guitar effects. No synths, samples etcetera.

That's why it's not guitar versus electric. This is R&B versus Rock.

Lazarus and the Gimp
18-10-2002, 19:43:33
No it isn't. It's a tirade against the lazy, postured crap that emerges from a handful of massively over-hyped new bands. Anyway, I'm going to put the Queens of the Stone Age album on and jump around a bit. Then I'm going to play "Fun House", "Surfer Rosa", "Maggot Brain" and "Horse Rotorvator", and purge my system of weak sounds.

*End Is Forever*
18-10-2002, 22:01:31
The White Stripes are to music what Victor J's is to the York bar scene...

Scabrous Birdseed
18-10-2002, 22:28:34
Posture gooood.

*End Is Forever*
18-10-2002, 22:40:53
Huh?