PDA

View Full Version : Just watched - The Piano Teacher

FunkyFingers
15-10-2002, 08:34:16
Good film this - it's a French "Arthouse" movie, following the life of a French Professor of Piano, presumably at the Vienna Conservatoire. This seemingly respectable, highly talented musician has, one discovers, a somewhat darker side to her nature, which is explored more deeply as the film progresses, both in her private thoughts, and in her relationships with her students and her tyrranical, aged mother.

Oh, and for Venom, there's some pretty bizarre sex scenes.

This film was full of surprise - I enjoyed the pacing, the musical culturalness, the lovely direction and shooting, and then the downright dark behavior which develops is extremely compelling. You can't help but wonder what must the professors upbringing must have been like to make her turn out the way she does.

Finally, the ending leaves you totally prone - there are so many unanswered questions, but it's all the more effective because of it.

This film won Best Actress, Best Actor and Grand Prix awards at Cannes 2001, and is directed by Michael Haneke.

If you fancy a change in your normal viewing genre, you could do worse than watch the Piano Teacher. An extremely good film IMHO.

SATAN
17-10-2002, 09:30:36
if i was to change my 'normal viewing genre' then i would have to switch away from bizarre sex scenes not towards them :p

quite like to see this though, this is the one where she bangs the guy in the toilets?

i'm not really bringing off the intellectual angle in this post am i...

FunkyFingers
21-10-2002, 12:45:55
It's a good juxtaposition with the intellectual angle.