PDA

View Full Version : Age of Mythology has gone gold!

LadyRachel
15-10-2002, 01:09:17
The long awaited follow up to Age of Empires and Age of Kings has finally gone gold, and is due to arrive in (scummy little crap) North American stores on Halloween. Not jealous not jealous not jealous...

Link to the press release. (http://www.ensemblestudios.com/newsman/publish/news_534.shtml)

What? This was news 5 days ago, you say? Ummmm... look, over there! It's Nav! BLAME HIM!!

Venom
15-10-2002, 01:29:46
I blame Nav.

Shining1
15-10-2002, 05:36:24
I blame Nav too. Rachel didn't have news editoring powers 5 days ago.

Nav
15-10-2002, 08:31:06
Her mana level took a while to regenerate.

Venom
15-10-2002, 11:54:44
Of course now that she does have it, this place is going to hell.

MoSe
15-10-2002, 12:35:59
Originally posted by Venom
I blame Nav.
What happened to Bossman, BTW?

Funkodrom
15-10-2002, 15:22:42
Are they going to make it less complicated than Age of Kings? :confused:

MDA
15-10-2002, 15:59:35
It went to hell back when I got news item power.

I really should make up a Raven Shield thingy...

Oh, and AMEN! Funko. The AI kicks my ass on normal difficulty, 1 on 1.

Funkodrom
15-10-2002, 16:16:04
It's not just the AI, it's the learning curve.

Venom
15-10-2002, 16:47:00
I don't know if I want this game.

LadyRachel
16-10-2002, 02:19:43
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Are they going to make it less complicated than Age of Kings? :confused:

No. It actually looks much more complicated to me, with all the different choices of gods and subgods to make. I am looking forward to the complexity of it after the simplicity of WC3.

Shining1
16-10-2002, 02:55:48
Complexity is debatible. There's a whole lot of choosing gods and stuff to do, which had big ramifications for the rest of that game. But they've re-jigged the resources so there are now "only" 3 that you have to harvest. Wood, food, and gold, which means that the game might actually be hugely less complex than Age of Kings. It certainly won't be warcraft, but then that's not the point.

Warcraft = few units, easy resource gathering, much micromanagement of battles.

Age of Myth = huge armies, huge towns, much fucking around getting everything right.

Venom
16-10-2002, 03:04:01
Still from the way the gods and sub gods are set up and the possibilities of the 1 time use powers, it's damn complex.

Shining1
16-10-2002, 03:08:08
It would take a while to learn, but then that's perhaps part of the fun. Also, they've tried very very hard this time to make a good campaign, instead of just crappy little historical scenarios.

Funkodrom
16-10-2002, 08:36:22
Originally posted by LadyRachel
No. It actually looks much more complicated to me, with all the different choices of gods and subgods to make. I am looking forward to the complexity of it after the simplicity of WC3.

I don't have time to learn a complex game. Warcraft 3 is simple but deep which is more my style I think.

Shining1
19-10-2002, 03:03:23
I would say the gods thing is also in the simple but deep class. It's not complex in the sense that boar luring in Age of Kings was complex. You just click a couple of buttons at the start of the game once you get your villagers going, and hey presto you have your primary god. Then in subsequent ages you can pick a secondary god which gives further special units and powers.

I'd say it's no more complicated than deciding 'I'm going mass Steam Tanks' in Warcraft and then building to that. You'd need to learn what each major/minor god lets you build, but then again that's probably all explained on a handy piece of laminated folding cardboard that comes with the game.

Complexity in Age of Empires games has always been related to having FOUR FUCKING RESOURCES, and they've changed that a little bit more - you have to accumulate faith as your fourth resource now, no more stone mining. I think each race does this a little differently - Egyptians get it for free over time, Greeks worship at a temple with their villagers, Vikings kill things, etc.

In summary it looks like a pretty game that isn't as complex as it sounds and will almost certainly be easier to play than Age of Kings.