PDA

View Full Version : Which country makes the best horror films?

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-10-2002, 17:09:09
If there are any horror geeks here, this will come to blows. Personally I'm voting Brit, though I'm highly partial to Italian horror.

Scabrous Birdseed
13-10-2002, 17:52:40
I've only seen two of the films you mentioned. Not a big horror fan. Though "The bird etc." was nicely filmed, so I'll vote for Italy even though the story was cack.

Debaser
13-10-2002, 19:05:17
I'd say Japan makes the most horrific horror films, purely because they can get away with so much more (See The Bunman as an example). British horror films are great at twisted, eerie, perhaps slightly demented plots, eg The Wicker Man, The Birds, or Clockwork Orange. American films are good in a kind of slick, big budget type way (The Shining), although Evil Dead 2 is a good example of a great smaller budget american horror. I've never seen an Italian horror film.

What about New Zealand, or more specifically Peter Jackson films. Bad Taste and Braindead are both great.

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-10-2002, 19:23:06
I don't consider them to be horror- they're splatter movies. I like them, but they aren't scary in the slightest.

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-10-2002, 19:26:43
Britain does the best "creeping sensation of unease" films- "Don't look now" being a prime example. Plus, they're more inclined to go for nihilistic and downbeat endings.

There are exceptions- in the US there's Romero who's as nihilistic as they come.

Noisy
14-10-2002, 12:56:31
I don't like horror films, but the two scariest that I remember from my childhood were The Spiral Staircase and The Stone Tapes.