PDA

View Full Version : Currently reading - The Human Stain

FunkyFingers
11-10-2002, 15:21:30
I am currently reading The Human Stain, by Philip Roth. It is a good book, very interesting characters, a well devised background to the events in the book and the perspective from which it's mainly written is also interesting. The only reservation I have is the extrodinary writing style he uses which makes sometimes an entire page just one paragraph, made up possibly of only 3 or 4 sentences, punctuated only with commas, which makes it all feel like a huge en-rush of unstoppable human conciousness, which is of course the effect that he's trying to get across, but it makes it difficult to read if you don't have a good long reading session available, it's simply not possible to read it for, say, 15 minutes at a go, be able to put it down and pick it up again for, say, another 15 minutes later in the day, but instead you need a good solid hour or two at least in order to get through even to a major paragraph break, let alone the end of a chapter, not that I'm saying that's bad, as it's effective and serves to put across the feeling that the main character really needs to brain-dump all his thoughts before he dies, it needs concentration to get the most out of it, but I am enjoying the story, enjoying the characters and it makes a big change from sci-fi.

FunkyFingers
15-10-2002, 12:50:21
Read this book