PDA

View Full Version : Cali-rock

Caligastia
10-10-2002, 18:03:57
Thanks to Mike who so kindly put my music up on his site, I am able to bring you guys some of the stuff I have been working on.

This is just a couple of riffs stuck together with a drum track, but I would be interested to hear what you all think. Bear in mind that I had to sacrifice sound quality to get the MP3 file small enough and that this track is far from perfect. You will hear a mistake here and there.

http://www.loudmedicine.net/quickndirty.mp3

Scabrous Birdseed
10-10-2002, 18:10:14
I like it. Sounds like music from a coumputer game.

Caligastia
10-10-2002, 18:13:48
Don't say that...well if you like it then thats cool. I didnt want it to sound like computer game music though:p

Debaser
10-10-2002, 18:15:23
That was quite cool, particularly the main riff.

Scabrous Birdseed
10-10-2002, 18:17:28
I like music from computer games, this has that good bleep-bloop quality I desire.

Caligastia
10-10-2002, 18:17:57
Thanks!:bounce: :)

Caligastia
10-10-2002, 18:19:11
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
I like music from computer games, this has that good bleep-bloop quality I desire.

Bleep-bloop? Oh the horror...:lol: :bash:

Funkodrom
10-10-2002, 20:11:15
It's Vincent's webspace, he just kindly lets me use it.

This is a good riff, I think I'm going to steal it. ;)

I like it. I think that sometimes the lead part and the rhythm are slightly fighting each other, mainly that's in the bit when it changes and gets slower after 30 seconds. I like the rhythm bit there but I think the lead doesn't quite fit somehow. The main theme though, how it starts and ends, the lead and rhythm work really well together.

I understand what Scabby's saying about computer game music as well. I don't think that's a bad thing.

protein
10-10-2002, 20:16:35
Can't seem to get the damn song. All I get is the quicktime logo. What am I doing wrong Funkodrom?

Funkodrom
10-10-2002, 20:20:02
Dunno. Try right clicking and choosing save as.

Caligastia
10-10-2002, 20:21:58
Originally posted by Funkodrom

I like it. I think that sometimes the lead part and the rhythm are slightly fighting each other, mainly that's in the bit when it changes and gets slower after 30 seconds. I like the rhythm bit there but I think the lead doesn't quite fit somehow.

Yeah, I havent completely decided what sounds good in that part lead-wise, so what you are hearing is just me experimenting.:D

The main theme though, how it starts and ends, the lead and rhythm work really well together.

Thanks.:)

BTW, does anyone have any idea what the time sig is for the first riff? I thought it was 7/8 but I could be wrong

protein
10-10-2002, 20:22:21
Oh, I got it now.
Pretty bizzarre stuff. I like it when it goes all disjointed, it sort of sounds random but the parts stick together nicely.

It suffers from lack of bass though and at times it does sound like two conflicting riffs. Did you use those Cakewalk amp sims? Guitar chords sound nice and crunchy.

protein
10-10-2002, 20:23:16
I wanna put my music on there now!

Caligastia
10-10-2002, 20:25:18
Thanks Protein, yeah those disjointed parts are just experimentation. I havent set anything in stone as far as those lead parts go yet.;)

I do need to get a bass guitar, youre right.

That 'crunchy' sound you hear is just my little practice amp plugged directly into my sound card.:D

PosterBoy
10-10-2002, 20:29:57
This would be where playing with the noise reduction would help.

It's not Country but I still liked it. The first riff could be expanded for a new Buffy theme tune

protein
10-10-2002, 20:35:06
Might be bad for your sound card but it sounds sweet. Dinasaur Jr used to have big Marshall stacks but apparently played through cheapo 'Rocktec' amps.

Caligastia
10-10-2002, 20:39:26
Originally posted by protein
Might be bad for your sound card but it sounds sweet. Dinasaur Jr used to have big Marshall stacks but apparently played through cheapo 'Rocktec' amps.

Its basically the same sound my amp makes when I play through it normally. I hope its not bad for my sound card. I didnt think it would be though because its a pretty good one.

Caligastia
10-10-2002, 20:40:35
Originally posted by PosterBoy
This would be where playing with the noise reduction would help.

It's not Country but I still liked it. The first riff could be expanded for a new Buffy theme tune

Thanks. I still havent figured out the noise reduction feature yet.:D

protein
10-10-2002, 20:49:55
If it is the headphone out of your amp it will probably be OK. Noise reduction is a big pile of crap for amateurs.
My experience of noise reduction is that it degrades the sound because it is trying to take away elements of that sound. Have a good clean sound source and record on good equipment and you'll be fine. Obviously, recording amp buzz will sound like amp buzz and if your leads crackle you will record crackle.

Start with the best quality sound and then play with it - rather than recording crap and playing with it until it sounds OK.

PosterBoy
10-10-2002, 20:54:29
I remember an interview with Pete Cornish the customised effects rack maker. When asked about noise reduction/suppression he just says he makes sure there is no noise to start off with.

Caligastia
10-10-2002, 20:55:48
Yep, its the headphone jack I am using to connect my amp to my sound card.

I agree with what you are saying about the sound. I am happy with the sound my amp gives me, so I will probably stick with that for the heavy stuff. For softer sounds I will probably just plug my guitar directly into my sound card and play around with those delay effects you gave me.

Scabrous Birdseed
10-10-2002, 21:40:46
It so does not need bass. The whole thing is perfectly balanced off by the subtler harmonic bits, no need to drown out the level balance you have now. Unless you really, desperately want to add another layer of hooks. in which case bass (or some nice bleeps and bloops :)) might work.

I like the faster of the two riffs better. You might want weed out the bits of it that work the least well, but overall it's well riffy stuff. I'd do something to make the interplay between the guitar and the drums be a bit more obvious (the drums need livening up and some nicer fills), and try to make it into a more coherent song structure. Of course it's very embryonic stuff.

protein
11-10-2002, 08:16:24
Make it in to a song without low frequencies. Your views on music get stranger and stranger. Drums don't work without bass. If you don't have bass you don't have drums. Otherwise you sound like that terrible band in the charts with that girl who can't play drums and the guy who plays guitar and sings.

Scabrous Birdseed
11-10-2002, 08:26:38
I'll have you know that's a very good band. (In the charts? :hmm: )

And this song does have low frequencies, just not VERY low ones. :) He'd need to play his guitar at a higher pitch for the bass to be discernible and not some random rumbling in the background. After all, the only reason to have many different layers at different frequencies is if each one actively contributes to the song...

protein
11-10-2002, 08:31:36
OK, in my personal view, it sounds like an intro. A route note bass line would kick the song in to first gear.

Goat Spawn
11-10-2002, 08:39:38
Make it in to a song without low frequencies. Your views on music get stranger and stranger. Drums don't work without bass. If you don't have bass you don't have drums. Otherwise you sound like that terrible band in the charts with that girl who can't play drums and the guy who plays guitar and sings.

Ha ha ha! You're talking about the Whitestripes aren't you?? That shiot brother/sister combo.

Sorry I can't comment on the song, I might do when people go for lunch. Sounds intriguing though.....

Scabrous Birdseed
11-10-2002, 08:41:19
That's another possibility. Unless it gets buried, in which case I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

For the record most music I listen to is extremely Bass-heavy, much to the extent of the bass actually carrying the melody.

Scabrous Birdseed
11-10-2002, 08:42:14
Actually, mixing the Bass really, really prominently might work as well. I just fear The Inpenetrable Wall.

protein
11-10-2002, 08:49:59
Originally posted by Goat Spawn
Ha ha ha! You're talking about the Whitestripes aren't you?? That shiot brother/sister combo.

Sorry I can't comment on the song, I might do when people go for lunch. Sounds intriguing though.....

This sounds like you + a 4-track Spawny me lad. You will like it. Follow the link at the top to Loudmedicine.

Goat Spawn
11-10-2002, 13:33:02
Hey I listened to that....Quite interesting, reminds me of the days when I used to lay down a beat (from my casio) onto 4 track. Slam down some chords and then bust a solo over the top.
However your chord pattern has a little more imagination than some of my previous attempts.....

Caligastia
11-10-2002, 15:12:19
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
I like the faster of the two riffs better. You might want weed out the bits of it that work the least well, but overall it's well riffy stuff. I'd do something to make the interplay between the guitar and the drums be a bit more obvious (the drums need livening up and some nicer fills), and try to make it into a more coherent song structure. Of course it's very embryonic stuff.

Yeah, I normally do a lot more with the drums, but as you say, this is in the very beginning stages. With that second slower riff I had to really slow it down to bring it into 4/4 time. If I really played it as I wanted to it would have some weird timing too.

Caligastia
11-10-2002, 15:20:54
OK, in my personal view, it sounds like an intro. A route note bass line would kick the song in to first gear.

I agree. Perhaps going into the faster riff the second time it would be better to just follow the main riff with the second guitar instead of playing the same lead part again.

Caligastia
11-10-2002, 15:21:59
Originally posted by Goat Spawn
Hey I listened to that....Quite interesting, reminds me of the days when I used to lay down a beat (from my casio) onto 4 track. Slam down some chords and then bust a solo over the top.
However your chord pattern has a little more imagination than some of my previous attempts.....

Thanks...:) :bounce:

Caligastia
11-10-2002, 15:23:45
Seeing as I work for the govt, I get monday off for Columbus Day but my wife doesnt.:D So I am going to work on some more riffs and see what I can come up with. Hopefully something good enough to post on here...;)

Caligastia
14-10-2002, 17:24:05
hi

Caligastia
15-10-2002, 00:17:47
Isnt anyone going to respond to my questions?:(

Mr. Bas
15-10-2002, 09:12:22
Nice job kiwi. :beer:

Caligastia
15-10-2002, 12:46:53
Thanks!:beer:

GP
22-10-2002, 17:31:11
I like the faster part better. Like it up to about 1:30. After that, it seems like it ought to speed up or get louder or something. (Don't like the slowdown much...)

Funkodrom
22-10-2002, 17:34:37
The comments here all seem to be consistent.

Caligastia
22-10-2002, 17:46:39
Yeah, I need to work on that slowdown bit...maybe I should just make the whole thing faster.

The Shaker
22-10-2002, 18:06:21
and don't forget to work on that slowdown bit...

Scabrous Birdseed
22-10-2002, 18:16:11
Sounds like a plan.