PDA

View Full Version : NOLF2

No longer Trippin
10-10-2002, 01:37:09
Saw it for 40 dollars instead of the usual 50 for new games so I picked it up, I haven't had much of a chance to play it as I've been packing, but the graphics are suberb. While not the megahigh polygon count of Morrowind, it is a signifcant improvement over SOF2 graphics wise and looks more impressive than Morrowind despite the lower poly count, the curves are more rounded (for the most part), and I'm guessing I'm getting around 40-50 fps. The water effects are the best I've seen in a game yet, including prerendered scenes mpeg type scenes (Far better than Morrowind's already great water effects).

Ran smoothly at the max Resolution with all effects set to maximum It uses the Jupiter Engine (lithtech), which has obviously finally caught up and passed the well modified Q3 engines out there. I'm running it at 1024x960 on my Duron with PC133 yet I've read on boards though that a few people (particularly those with XP and P4's in the 2+ gigahertz range surprisingly) seem to have some problems with it despite having faster everything than my rock bottom Duron certainly does. Although I've tinkered with my hardware and with 2000 extensively, so I can't say if it's the execption or the rule with those cases. The min. is p3 500 128 ram (256 ram for xp), and a 32 meg graphics card. The rec. is a p3 1ghz 256 ram, 64 meg card. There is already one patch out (afterall, SIERRA is invovlved), and its called to be reccommended, but I noticed no problems before the patch and it was only around 3.5 megs, not a huge 50 meg patch like many games today.

As for gameplay, so far it can be played like the original, you can sneak or shoot your way through everything, but they make it easier to sneak (as in the first one it could be next to impossible without a really lucky coin toss and nobody else looking at your soon to be victim. If you do wind up in a shooting situation you aren't fucked like at times in the first one, or if an alarm is sounded the game is over. The alarms now are localized (at least in the levels I've played so far). You can also now move bodies after you've killed them, though tranq darts and your taser only put an enemy to sleep for a couple of minutes, and if you search or try to move them, they wake up... you can take an enemies gun away while he's sleeping though. It's best just to taser or tranq them then take your hairspray (blowtorch) to them and that will kill them if you low on silent ammo.

They have a pretty good skills system, but so far, I've had little reason to put my points into anything other than weapons/armor/health based stats, and have been negleting my stealth skills, but it isn't to hard to catch up a lower stat with the way it's set up. The AI is much improved over the previous game, as you can lose enemies by running around corners and hiding, they call for help, or run to an alarm. They don't mysteriously automatically know where you are after you've been discovered. There aren't as many weapons, but most of the weapons in the original were never really used as another weapon was better or nearly as good and filled in a role that would take two weapons instead of one. The weapons available are all used instead. They simplified the commands, to 1 is melee weapons, and it cycles, then stealth, etc, all the way through 6, which is your gadgets. Anyone who's played the first one can recall how much of a pain it could be to quickly find the right gadget or gun if it didn't show up on the hotkeys. A huge interface improvement.

Overall, having only played it for several hours, I'd have to give it a 9 out of 10 (yes venom, there is blood (a fairly good bit of splatter once you start using guns as you can cover a wall with blood quite easily), and you can pin people to walls with crossbow bolts and they hang indefinitely unless you search and remove it). I can't speak of explosions yet, but the fire in the game looks good, so that good be a telling sign of good explosions, but Allied Assault had fairly good fire and it's explosions sucked ass, so you'll have to wait for Venom's seel of approval on the explosions. The only downside is sometimes finding or figuring out an objective can be challenging, leaving you running in circles.

Venom
10-10-2002, 01:51:56
40 bucks? Where at?

No longer Trippin
10-10-2002, 03:54:59
Best Buy, it said 50 on the box... sorry 49.99, but the tag said underneath said 39.99 - at it rang up correct... unlike most places around here which will have a steeper priceon the box it will always ring up at, no matter what the current price or the person at the counter won't ask to have someone go check the price. Best Buy is the only major electronics store around here which isn't a complete asshole when it comes to buying shit from. Their hardware is always overpriced (but cheaper than everywhere else)... but why buy hardware at best buy when you can buy it at newegg.com or tigerdirect and still save money after shipping?

It's a good game, even played as a straight shooter, as you can sound alarms yourself if you want to kill more people or need more ammo, as they leave behind generally more than it takes to kill them.

The levels can be confusing, even though the intructions (and maps in one level can be fairly good), as they can be fairly complex as in you can switch inbtw levels (at times) to accomplish certain task. I never had a load screen for more than 15 seconds on a Duron 1200 w/ pc133 (albeit o/c'd a bit faster as it's Nanya RAM) and that was at max detail. They consulted NVidia more than other card makers also, so the engine was probably fine tuned to the g3/g4 line, but it supports all cards (with 32+ ram)even creative's "magical" 3 screen piece of shit Parhelia.

Never had a chance to run it on my good system as that's been packed and on it's way to NY already.

No longer Trippin
10-10-2002, 03:57:22
It's a small boxed game, I nearly missed it because it was surrounded by the big boxed games and was about to buy GTA 3, but I figured since I won't have much time to play, I'll get the cheaper one first and by the time I have enough time to play, GTA3 will have dropped in price, if not, NOLF2 still wouldn't have.

No longer Trippin
10-10-2002, 04:00:26
It has some fairly commical moments, though the level that I have almost finished, enemies do infintely respawn (if they are set there at the beginning of the map), but then if your invading a major compound, you'd expect replacements to show up. It just makes you balance btw shooting and sneaking more than just sneaking all the way through... Almost like James bond film, infinite bad guys, but still need the finesse in some areas (albeit sadly it doesn't involve shagging a girl likeit does in a bond film).

Venom
10-10-2002, 12:00:37
I may give this one a shot.

Funkodrom
10-10-2002, 12:49:42
What's NOLF2? NAHN

Venom
10-10-2002, 13:23:22
No One Lives Forever 2. And yes, there was a NOLF1.

Funkodrom
10-10-2002, 13:25:12
Ah. The Bond like spy game thing?

Venom
10-10-2002, 13:29:56
That would be the one.

MDA
10-10-2002, 18:14:05
I got an email offer for 30% off w/ free shipping... Hmm.

Shining1
11-10-2002, 09:54:12
Sounds quite fun. I haven't bought an FPS since Unreal Tournament.

Funkodrom
11-10-2002, 09:55:09
Unreal had boring guns.

Venom
11-10-2002, 12:14:37
I totally hated Unreal. Unreal Tournament was ok for awhile.

Sean
11-10-2002, 12:17:07
But the waterfall, right at the start, that was cool.

Funkodrom
11-10-2002, 14:03:33
That was cool but you couldn't shoot the birds out of the sky, that was gay.

Venom
11-10-2002, 14:26:10
That was about the only thing I wanted to shoot, the birds.

Funkodrom
11-10-2002, 14:44:43
I wanted a shotgun.