PDA

View Full Version : Ultima Online

SATAN
03-10-2002, 10:58:54
Anybody here played/playing this?

One of my cowies is heavily into it and i so after asking them about it i bought the most recent retail version 'Lord Blackthorn's revenge' on budget for a tenner last weekend.

I've played it pretty heavily and i really like it. There's loads to do and it is a genuine online community (There were some mad 9/11 tributes by players in game recently). One of the things that is quite cool is that people actually play things like fisherman and cooks and can have quite a fulfilling time doing things like that rather than just monster bashing.

The world is huge too and most of the people i have met so far have been very helpful and friendly.

I have about three more weeks of my trial period before i have to decide whether i want to keep playing it but on this evidence i will.

The Shaker
03-10-2002, 11:00:55
And what character are you playing?
a cook, a fisherman, a teacher?

SATAN
03-10-2002, 11:03:38
An animal tamer. I had to start with rabbits and dogs but now i can tame some cooler stuff like panthers, black bears and horses to ride around on. I'm reliably informed that if i play for another thousand million years i can tame dragons and rule the world. BWAHAHA!!!

SATAN
03-10-2002, 14:31:37
does the lack of responses to this thread indicate that i am the uber-nerd

Venom
03-10-2002, 14:42:27
I toyed with playing this game for years, and just never did. What's the monthly fee going for it now?

SATAN
03-10-2002, 15:04:06
$9.99

so a bit less in english pounds :)

Venom
03-10-2002, 15:30:38
Yes. I am familar with the exchange rates.

Darkstar
04-10-2002, 05:26:56
Why would Venom need exchange rates to other then Hounds (Coon, Blood) or Tobacco (Chewing)?

Shining1
04-10-2002, 09:19:05
He probably read pounds as hounds:).

Venom
04-10-2002, 12:02:14
Other way around actually. I had to read Darkstars post twice. Pounds(Coon, Blood), didn't make much sense the first time aruond.

King_Ghidra
22-10-2002, 10:18:18
btw i am completely addicted to this now

Venom
22-10-2002, 11:47:19
You animal trainer you.

King_Ghidra
22-10-2002, 12:21:32
with four grizzly bears in tow and mounted on my forest ostard (kind of a lizard crossed with an ostrich) i own ogres and trolls

my character now wears a fetching deer mask like hern the hunter from robin hood

Venom
22-10-2002, 12:26:43
Your character is gay?

When do you get to train dragons?

King_Ghidra
22-10-2002, 12:35:02
the dragon taming is a way off

you need about 95% in the skill and i have 64. i gain about 1-1.5% in an evening

i've signed up for a proper monthly payment plan now

Venom
22-10-2002, 12:36:41
That will be cool though. Still a lot of players online?

And speaking of online, have you yet to play a proper game of BF1942? No one ever wants to work together.

King_Ghidra
22-10-2002, 12:41:48
apparently there are about 220k players worldwide, maybe 20k on the europa server

i see loads of people online (and i might add most of them have been very helpful and very nice)

as for bf1942, yes i've played quite a lot online. I think people are getting better at working together. So many people are still learning the basics of the game though, i think it will be a while befoe people really exploit the teamplay potential as dice intended

Venom
22-10-2002, 12:49:36
Shit that's a lot of UO players. I would have thought the game would be sort of dying out by now. The used to have serious PK problems, I guess that's been worked out by now.

I play bf1942 just about every night now, but I've not had a lot of teamwork luck. Which is why I stopped being the Anti-tank soldier. He's dog meat on a battle field without infantry support. I like to be the medic now. Pretty good gun and self healing ability are nice to have.

King_Ghidra
22-10-2002, 12:54:26
Originally posted by Venom
Shit that's a lot of UO players. I would have thought the game would be sort of dying out by now. The used to have serious PK problems, I guess that's been worked out by now.

i think everquest has more players but Uo is 2nd, stats i've seen seem to indicate that subscriptions aren't fluctuating one way or another

in UO now there are three lands felucca and trammel
- felcucca is old skool UO with full pking, corpse looting etc.
- trammel is safe new UO with no pvp except between guilds
-ilshennar is like trammel with harder monsters

everyone starts on trammel if they have a new char but you can go to felucca anytime you like

i like trammel, i can go about my escapism without any hassle :)

Venom
22-10-2002, 13:04:17
Corpse looting...does it get any better in games than that?

Resource Consumer
22-10-2002, 14:40:43
corpse making?

Sean
22-10-2002, 14:43:18
Corpse…no. That’s just sick.

Scud Wallaby
23-10-2002, 15:17:45
Online RPGing is the sort of thing I got onto the internet for, but years later still haven't got round to playing yet... (bit worried about the time commitment needed.)

PK? Whasat then?
Also, if I did finally invest in Ultima or Everquest, would anything drastic happen if I didn't log on for a couple of weeks? Could someone break into my online house and steal my stale muffins?

-Scud-

Resource Consumer
23-10-2002, 15:19:51
Presumably if you got really into it then someone would break into your real house, steal your muffins and you wouldn't notice or care if you did.:)

Scud Wallaby
23-10-2002, 15:23:23
...or i'd attack the bounder with my longsword+2!

-Scud-

King_Ghidra
23-10-2002, 15:38:02
Originally posted by Scud Wallaby
PK? Whasat then?
Also, if I did finally invest in Ultima or Everquest, would anything drastic happen if I didn't log on for a couple of weeks? Could someone break into my online house and steal my stale muffins?

-Scud-

aaarrgrhgr....can't...stop...staring...at...scud's ...avatar.....arrghghrgr

PK = player killing

As far as UO is concerned i think you're fine if you don't play for a while. But if you think you can get a house there, dream on, they're like gold dust, in fact rarer than that, they're like U-235

Venom
23-10-2002, 15:45:31
So UO is a game of homeless people?

King_Ghidra
23-10-2002, 15:47:19
you have to log out in an inn, so it's more like a game of travelling salesmen

Funkodrom
23-10-2002, 15:53:48
What happens if you lose your connection or it crashes or something and you aren't in an Inn?

Venom
23-10-2002, 15:54:56
I bet you lose everything.

King_Ghidra
23-10-2002, 15:57:45
rather than instantly logging out you stay where you are for 10 minutes and then the game logs you out.

This could be bad depending on where you are...

if you log in again quickly, no worries, happened to me last night

Funkodrom
23-10-2002, 16:00:05
Right, that's fair enough.

Venom
23-10-2002, 16:37:10
So there's a bunch of live statues out there?

Scud Wallaby
24-10-2002, 18:27:40
Originally posted by SATAN
I've played it pretty heavily and i really like it. There's loads to do and it is a genuine online community (There were some mad 9/11 tributes by players in game recently). One of the things that is quite cool is that people actually play things like fisherman and cooks and can have quite a fulfilling time doing things like that rather than just monster bashing.

The world is huge too and most of the people i have met so far have been very helpful and friendly.

I have about three more weeks of my trial period before i have to decide whether i want to keep playing it but on this evidence i will.

Well you've sold me. Bought it and installed it a couple of hours ago, but have been a good boy and read the guide before playing.

Goodbye life. I'm about to take the final ritual into geekhood.

-Scud-

Venom
24-10-2002, 18:31:46
You're leaving your life for a virtual life. Good work. The real life wasn't worth much anyway, was it?

King_Ghidra
25-10-2002, 08:34:09
Well you've sold me. Bought it and installed it a couple of hours ago, but have been a good boy and read the guide before playing.

Goodbye life. I'm about to take the final ritual into geekhood.

-Scud-

good god, someone did something because i recommended it!

well welcome aboard!

for some good advice and loads of information check out
http://uo.stratics.com/
thats the site that's helped me the most in my first few weeks

btw, presumably you're going to play on the europa server so if you want to meet up sometime drop me a PM and we can arrange something

Venom
25-10-2002, 11:57:00
Hey, I got Total War because you recommended it and look what happened there.

King_Ghidra
25-10-2002, 12:01:44
you dumb fucks will lap up anthing i throw your way

Venom
25-10-2002, 12:07:12
I've learned my lesson.

Scud Wallaby
26-10-2002, 10:11:22
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
good god, someone did something because i recommended it!

well welcome aboard!

for some good advice and loads of information check out
http://uo.stratics.com/
thats the site that's helped me the most in my first few weeks

btw, presumably you're going to play on the europa server so if you want to meet up sometime drop me a PM and we can arrange something

Thanks - that's a good site. I've only had time to go online for a couple of hours so far, but definitely looks like something I could get into. I've mostly stumbled around and relied on the kindness of strangers so far. Highly embarrasing moment when someone gave me a horse and I couldn't figure out how to get on it...

I'm in and out for the next two weeks but will definitely PM you KG to let you know when i'm online for more than a few minutes. Thanks again for the recommendation. :coolgrin:

-Scud-

MattHiggs
28-10-2002, 17:07:49
You should play Anarchy Online, the same kind of game only better graphics and set in the future, so there are no Ogres and Trolls, only snipers, soldiers etc..

LoD
28-10-2002, 18:21:56
Hey, Higgsy sightning!

Venom
28-10-2002, 18:29:32
You're blind now too probably.

LoD
28-10-2002, 19:13:39
No I'm not. What do you think the shades are for?

Venom
28-10-2002, 20:23:18
Blind people wear shades.

LoD
28-10-2002, 20:54:29
:coolgrin:

Mightytree
28-10-2002, 21:08:18
Ooooh ... I'm so tempted to buy this ....

I already bought one part of this some time ago but quit soon because of the PKs and my non-flatrate internet connection back then.

But now ... :love:

Scud Wallaby
28-10-2002, 22:46:15
I think it's fantastic. I'm just doing routine stuff- building stats etc at the moment and getting a handle on making money and what skills to improve.

It's a game that definitely needs time and also has a good learning curve to it. Places that allow new players to learn the ropes without fear of their lives.

No exageration but it's probably the only game in more than 3 or 4 years that has really got my interest in anything more than a superficial way. I'm going on holiday for a week from 4th Nov and i'm actually thinking that I might rather be staying at home and playing this... Someone call the police.

-Scud-

Mightytree
28-10-2002, 23:55:59
Done.

Greg W
29-10-2002, 00:34:19
Ah, you should really try Evercrack. :D

IMHO, much better than UO. But then again, I am an old school Ultima fan, and hated what the players did to Brittannia when it first came out. :shoot:

Venom
29-10-2002, 01:21:32
You can never top Ultima 7. It just can't be done.

King_Ghidra
29-10-2002, 09:04:17
I think it's fantastic. I'm just doing routine stuff- building stats etc at the moment and getting a handle on making money and what skills to improve.

It's a game that definitely needs time and also has a good learning curve to it. Places that allow new players to learn the ropes without fear of their lives.

No exageration but it's probably the only game in more than 3 or 4 years that has really got my interest in anything more than a superficial way. I'm going on holiday for a week from 4th Nov and i'm actually thinking that I might rather be staying at home and playing this... Someone call the police.

-Scud-

glad to hear you're enjoying it, i would have felt guilty otherwise :)

have you been doing the young player quests? i kind of skipped these with my first character but they're quite a nice introduction to the game

btw, take the holiday, they only come along once in a while, but UO is forever :)

Venom
29-10-2002, 12:56:46
I hope you feel guilty for the whole Total War thing you put me through.

King_Ghidra
29-10-2002, 13:02:41
considering the consequences, no

Funkodrom
29-10-2002, 13:21:38
I recommended Venom Championship Manager, you M:TW. :D

Scud Wallaby
29-10-2002, 23:01:34
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
glad to hear you're enjoying it, i would have felt guilty otherwise :)

have you been doing the young player quests? i kind of skipped these with my first character but they're quite a nice introduction to the game

btw, take the holiday, they only come along once in a while, but UO is forever :)

Hehe - don't feel guilty; I owe you one for the tip! :beer:

I've done a few of the young player quests, and they are good for learning; I think without them i'd have been a bit bemused at first. So far i've put in about 20hrs, mainly in Haven, but have travelled a bit and built up some stats. (Killed a few mongbats and scarpered from some lizard thing that I decided to try my luck on...)

I'm still with my first character. Being a Final Fantasy fan has helped as I don't mind spending time building stats through repetitive tasks.

Looking forward to the holiday too much to really think twice about it. We're going to Oasis in Cumbria, which is set in a forest so if I do start to get withdrawal symptoms I can look out the window and pretend (call the POLICE!!!)

Thanks again for the tip - look forward to seeing you & ...

Originally posted by Mightytree
Done.

... Mightytree online.

(p.s. my online character is surprisingly called Scud Wallaby and resides mainly on the Europa server, Haven, 6pm - 10pm GMT)

-Scud-

Mightytree
29-10-2002, 23:03:56
I ordered it today. Should be here Friday at the latest.

:beer:

Scud Wallaby
29-10-2002, 23:08:41
Originally posted by Mightytree
I ordered it today. Should be here Friday at the latest.

:beer:

Good stuff! We'll definitely have to look at starting a guild or something for the Counterglowers. I think from first impressions that you can get much further in this game through co-operation. Look forward to seeing you online! :beer:

-Scud-

Funkodrom
29-10-2002, 23:24:34
Maybe it needs a full blown CG review?

Mind you:

spending time building stats through repetitive tasks

Is my idea of gaming hell.

Greg W
29-10-2002, 23:35:54
Hmm, are the original continents of Brittannia still in the game? None of the three continents you seem to mention mean anything to me.

Venom, I still play Ultima IV and V occasionally. Have too many problems getting VII to work unfortunately, it's way too fast, even on a P90 with MoSlo. :(

King_Ghidra
30-10-2002, 13:47:32
Good stuff! We'll definitely have to look at starting a guild or something for the Counterglowers. I think from first impressions that you can get much further in this game through co-operation. Look forward to seeing you online! :beer:

-Scud-

yeah, nice one mightytree, hope you find it as fun as scud and i seem to be! :beer:

scud, i think you're spot on re: co-operation

as for doing this through a guild though, as i understand it, it is a little more complex than simply saying let's start a guild. My cowie, who is a very experienced player, tells me that you need to

a) have a house as a physical location for the guild (and as i have said previously, houses are as rare as u-235) and

b) place a guildstone in the house

unfortunately neither he nor i know how one goes about getting a guildstone. He is going to ask his guildmaster how it works...

the house might not be so much of a problem as my cowie says he can make me a 'friend' of his house...

Scud Wallaby
30-10-2002, 22:49:08
Hehe - maybe a Guild is a bit ambitious at this stage. I've met some really interesting characters today. I stumbled upon this guy in Haven who was holding a class on Magery at the "Companions Hall". Went along and spent an hour and a half with some other "Young" players, sat round a table taking class! There were a couple of more experienced players giving demonstrations on magery, as well as hints and tips on what you should and shouldn't do. not just the fundamentals, but a bit of knowledge from experienced players.

Apparently it's going to be a regular Wednesday thing at about 8pm. Next time i'll drop by the tavern first and bring a few beers along! Probably sounds contrived but it was a good experience sat round a virtual table in a relaxed atmosphere. You almost forgot you weren't really there and when someone asked me what I was doing after I almost invited them to the pub! :beer:

-Scud-

Mightytree
31-10-2002, 10:04:14
It's here! IT'S HERE!

King_Ghidra@home
31-10-2002, 19:36:01
Apparently it's going to be a regular Wednesday thing at about 8pm. Next time i'll drop by the tavern first and bring a few beers along! Probably sounds contrived but it was a good experience sat round a virtual table in a relaxed atmosphere. You almost forgot you weren't really there and when someone asked me what I was doing after I almost invited them to the pub! :beer:

-Scud-

:lol:

i actually came to haven hoping to bump into you and i saw the guy running round advertising that class, should have gone...ah well...

i thought i was too experienced :cool:

Venom
31-10-2002, 19:48:31
Originally posted by Greg W
Venom, I still play Ultima IV and V occasionally. Have too many problems getting VII to work unfortunately, it's way too fast, even on a P90 with MoSlo. :(

Yes, I was thinking about trying to find some way to fire it up again but I'm afraid that the Avatar will turn in to the Flash.

MattHiggs
10-11-2002, 03:25:33
Anarchy Online is releasing a booster pack next month also. This will incoporate land control into PvP or PK as it is called in UA. Also PvP only occurs in certain zones so if you want you never need to bother with it. Did I mention the graphics? :)

I'll post some screenshots I took ingame soon, can't be bothered uploading to web-space at the moment. Here are some official ones.

http://www.anarchy-online.com/content/downloads/media/screenshots/compo2/20021022_02.jpg

http://www.anarchy-online.com/content/downloads/media/screenshots/compo2/20021022_04.jpg

Scud Wallaby
16-11-2002, 14:33:23
Well i'm back from a fantastic holiday and am finding Ultima Online as engaging as ever. Lost my "Young" status and bumped into King Ghidra today. Good stuff. Also bumped into Mightytree about 2 weeks ago. I reckon we should arrange a meet up in a tavern on the Europa server and kick some donkey! :bash: :beer:

-Scud-