PDA

View Full Version : Infogrames sucks two-week dead donkey's arse!

Shining1
30-09-2002, 09:14:04
First Neverwinter Nights, a game that is STILL effectively not out of beta despite it having been released over 3 months ago.

NOW, Unreal Tournament 2003 ships after a large number of very smart people with nice computers have unresolved crashes with the demo. The demo gets one poor lone programmer in his spare time trying to provide some support, the issue isn't addressed at all, and once again, lots of people have problems with the main release of the game.

(Not to mention NWN and the whole SecuROM fiasco...)

Atari also have their name on both these games as well, it might be their fault, but ultimately I doubt they are in charge and making release decisions.

The moral of the story is that Infogrames titles are NOT reliable when shipped.

Scabrous Birdseed
30-09-2002, 11:27:26
:mad:

Infogrames is Innovation!
The Power of Imagination!
Infogrames is entertainment that rocks my world!

LoD
30-09-2002, 16:44:32
The moral of the story is that Infogrames titles are NOT reliable when shipped.

We saw this happen to Civ3 already, haven't we?

Darkstar
01-10-2002, 04:46:08
Among other things.

Another reason to wait on games hitting serious discount prices...

Sorry to hear about your trouble, Shining1.

Shining1
01-10-2002, 08:12:20
DS: Correct.

It gets better, too. UT2003 has apparently shipped with a similar form of "copy protection" to the SecuROM that was included in NWN. A lot of people are finding the only way to play the game is to use an executible with the copy protection taken out. I.e, a hacked, illegal-download type exe file. To get a game that you paid for to actually run.

NWN had the same thing, to the point where tech support was directing such customers to said links where they could find the hack! Happily, they dumped it after 3 patches.

But for it to turn up in a new release after all that with the same problems and the same utter lack of ANY kind of effect on illegal copying is just beyond belief!

MDA
01-10-2002, 15:48:18
SecureROM has always been a problem. I've heard there are better copy protection programs, but developers seem to be sticking with the devil they know.

Deacon
01-10-2002, 18:57:56
I think Infogrames bought Atari some time ago so they could use the name.

Copy protection has been a bane for as long as I can remember. It goes beyond the registration number in intrusiveness by stopping your hardware from working at a basic level. I really think that anybody who's that worried about stealing shouldn't distribute at all.

Darkstar
02-10-2002, 04:00:20
Yeah... Atari was a cheap buy.

Shining1, it's not surprising that SecureRom was picked again. It takes a while for projects to stop using something.

Want an example? Java. Our Win2K comes with Sun Java... which doesn't work on P4 Win2K boxes. And yes our boxes are of course, P4. Oracle's *installer* is java, so __we__ developers cannot even install the Oracle development tools on our boxes to develop products that go against Oracle. Oracle knows about the problem, and has told all P4 developers on W2K, 'Go fuck yourselves. We are Overlords of Technology, and have chosen Java over all other platforms. Oracle's 8 and 9 require it, so make all your customers stop using Win2K as Sun's Java is a piece of shit of that, and Sun outsmarted themselves blocking Microsoft from updating Microsoft's Java. We'd like to suggest an Oracle partner for your customers OS...'

Serious. Sometimes, management marries a product, and passes on the screwing they got. Sometimes, people buy into the hype, and then they have to wait for the next product to drop the Firaxis hyped shit. :D

Shining1
02-10-2002, 04:09:28
True, but Bioware dumped SecuROM from NWN before UT2003 went gold - that's a pretty major warning sign you'd think.

Which does tend to put Infogrames right into the exact class of idiot aggressive management you are of course talking about.