PDA

View Full Version : Gattaca vs AI

Sean
27-09-2002, 23:17:29
Last Friday I watched AI, a movie about societal issues in the future; a member of the supporting cast is Jude Law. AI suffers from several problems: it shows that poor handling can ruin a good concept, it goes on for far too long, it has an awful, convoluted ending, and that’s just the start.

David (Haley Joel Osment, who milks his ‘cute-but-scared’ whisper) is a robot boy, created to be capable of love, who is a replacement child for two adults whose ‘real’ son is in cryo-stasis with an incurable disease. Only a cure is found, and their son returns, and friction causes the parents to abandon David, who is now in danger of being killed captured by a ‘flesh fair’—a circus-cum-and so the story proper begins.

AI shows Spielberg at his worst, making subtexts so blatant that it’s impossible to ignore them, wildly overambitious in his attempt to make a statement. There are so many bad scenes that it is hard to single any out for special criticism, but the ending, which like all bad sci-fi tells us that humans are superior, is spectacularly awful. In fact, it’s so awful I’ll say no more about it.

In its favour, it does have two engaging characters, although possibly for the wrong reasons: David’s sentient teddy, who is seemingly indestructible and speaks like a serial killer from a slasher movie, and Gigolo Joe (Jude Law), who helps David get to Manhattan while on the run himself. Most of the enjoyment I got out of the movie was in imaging teddy clawing someone’s face off while yelling ‘I’ll never work with you again, Spielberg!’

Today I watched Gattaca, a movie about societal issues in the future; a member of the supporting cast is Jude Law. This is a fine movie, and not just in comparison to AI.

Vincent (Ethan Hawke) is an In-Valid—future-speak for a naturally conceived child, without the benefit of genetic engineering and planning. His genes have condemned him to be weaker and less intelligent than his brother Anton (a Valid), and he has a heart defect that means he will most likely die by the time he’s thirty. Genes are catalogued, so there is no chance of him ever achieving his dream of going into space, unless…

Jerome (Jude Law) has fantastic genes, and could be anything he wanted, or could have been, but he was in an accident, and is now in a wheelchair. If Jerome gave Vincent his genes, in the form of pre-prepared urine and blood samples, would anyone notice?

The best thing about Gattaca is that it’s so understated, especially compared to AI. It quietly goes about the tricky business of establishing a believable future and putting a decent suspense storyline into it. The story, though, is almost incidental—it’s not half-hearted, but it takes second place to the themes and the characters, which are well-developed, although again in an understated way.

I do have criticisms, though. Ethan Hawke is just a wee bit too good-looking to be entirely convincing as an In-Valid, it isn’t a movie that grabs you and screams ‘I am great! Worship meeeeee!’, and…actually, all the rest are pretty minor. It avoided several possible traps, most notably the ‘Man who Sold the Moon’ ending which I was dreading.

I probably haven’t done this movie justice, but it is a very good movie. I doubt it’ll be ever considered a great, but it has a good shot at being a cult classic.

Funkodrom
01-10-2002, 09:40:58
Gattaca is a really good film. I couldn't face watching AI. Maybe if it comes on TV one day and I'm really bored...

Debaser
01-10-2002, 13:36:42
Gattaca is also really nicely shot. It's all muted colours and classy understated sci-fi sets. AI looks like an explosion in a CGi factory, like it has ambitions of being Bladerunner meets the Matrix, but ends up like Total Recall meets Star Trek - The Next Generation.

Sean
01-10-2002, 15:39:26
I was going to mention that, but forgot :o. It did seem a little manipulative, but compared to AI’s ‘loving glow’ at the end it was nothing.

The Shaker
03-10-2002, 21:11:57
Gattaca I loved when I saw it, AI I havn't seen cos i was put off by the Kid. Gotta say i'm a bit of a Jude Law fan so i'll watch it on cable...eventually.

SATAN
04-10-2002, 10:37:34
Originally posted by The Shaker
Gotta say i'm a bit of a Jude Law fan

:bounce: gay boy alert! gay boy alert!:bounce:

Funkodrom
04-10-2002, 12:34:15
After all the hair dye incidents that was the thing that tipped you off?

Venom
04-10-2002, 13:09:48
Satan is a little slow.

Darkstar
05-10-2002, 02:47:49
And he pulls more birds then Funkotron? :hmm:

SATAN
07-10-2002, 10:45:44
Originally posted by Funkodrom
After all the hair dye incidents that was the thing that tipped you off?

no what tipped me off was when he started going out with that little boy in the glasses :D :p

Funkodrom
07-10-2002, 10:51:55
:nervous:

monolith94
12-10-2002, 04:28:47
I don't know where you're coming from with the whole Gattaca never being considered a great film... ALL of my friends have seen Gattaca and we're all HUGE fans of the film. I might even put it in my top five movies of all time. I've also (like Amelie) never read a bad review of it.

Sean
12-10-2002, 11:59:14
Originally posted by monolith94
I don't know where you're coming from with the whole Gattaca never being considered a great film... ALL of my friends have seen Gattaca and we're all HUGE fans of the film. I might even put it in my top five movies of all time. I've also (like Amelie) never read a bad review of it.
I’m not sure how all of your friends liking it invalidates my point.

Oh:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Amelie-1110972/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Gattaca-1080254/