PDA

View Full Version : What games are you playing?

Darkstar
24-09-2002, 07:13:58
Ok, last 3 new games I've tried...

Moonbase Commander : I suspect I'll win the free trip to the US Space Camp. Considering it's just down the road from in, in the first place. Other then that... I was having tons of fun playing this game. It's a mutant 'scorch the earth' game... Anyone that likes that sort of game concept of aim and fire should take a sharp look at this game.

I payed about $20 for this... and it was well worth it to me. But then, I like the aim the turret and fire type games. They've got a unique (to me) twist on it, and tons of ammo types. Plus, the Artificial Idiots range from Venom Body Fungus to Pretty Decent. Only draw backs to it are a couple of SP maps that really sucked... and I don't care for GameSpy's matching services (a totally irrational dislike of mine I acquired for no reason long ago and haven't lost yet). Its MP is through GameSpy so...

Final Fantasy 8 : Ye gads, does this game suck! Has to be the all-time worst one of the series. Has the exact same look of FF7... so it's dated. So far, the best fun has actually been the 'card game' in the game (it's a collectable card game inside FF8 that you *have* to play to get the stuff you need to beat the game). While I like being able to make my sword vampiric or sleep inducing or nuke bomb releasing, their magic system has gotten seriously WORSE from 7. Sure, it's different, but it just sucks ass bigger then Venom's. Ye gads, what drugs where these guys on when they tested it? Didn't they notice how much it fucking sucks? And so does the game! If it wasn't for the walkthroughs letting me know I"m only a few hours away from finishing this game, I'd have deleted it off my HD long ago. Although the walk throughs have also sucked... several have agreed that certain things were side quests. Nope... you have to do several of those side quests before the main quests becomes 'enabled' so you can progress. Oh well, what can I expect of free walk throughs?

I'd really like to kick the programmers of FF8 in the balls though. Several times. This has been the least interesting of the FFs so far... although I haven't played 9, so I suppose it could have gotten worse. Bleah.

I payed $10 for FF8. That was $1000 too much.

Outlive: Humans versus Robots RTS. Standard RTS fare. I got it at bargain bin prices ($10, part of a 2 game bundle so it's 5 for it's share), and it's okay to me for that. I find it's campaigns boring so far though. Typical RTS campaigns. Typical RTS play. I do like that you only have money and minerals -> money to worry about. No worrying if I have enough Blue Gas or Green Goo... just money! Oh, and gotten the tech for Fighters, Copters, or what not.

Out of the three... Moonbase Commander wins. It's an Infogrames distribution of Humongous Entertainment title. If you like shooting cruise missiles at opponents gun emplacements and watching it cruse in, hit, and cause a fire, you might want to look this game up. :D

Sir Penguin
24-09-2002, 07:17:59
Now I've got my new computer running, I'm playing Orbiter with the hi-res textures :D.

SP

Tizzy
24-09-2002, 08:01:43
In my usual fashion of being far behind the times, I'm playing Black & White just now

Funkodrom
24-09-2002, 08:26:11
Warcraft 3 and Gitaroo man.

FunkyFingers
24-09-2002, 08:32:42
I'm playing

EA Sports Rugby 2001 - I love this game, it's a great impression of rugby, not too complicated to play but there's a lot of learning in there. Graphics are good and the commentary is actually reasonably interesting. It allows you to play any of the major international rugby tournaments, as any team.

Clive Barkers Undying - just started this, have no real impression of it yet, except that the graphics are not too shabby, it has a feel of being based on the old Unreal engine?

Fronter First Encounters - still playing this Win 9x hacked version and it's still great. Will there ever be a modern update?

King_Ghidra
24-09-2002, 08:49:50
battlefield 1942
neverwinter nights

Shining1
24-09-2002, 09:11:01
WarcraftIII, Diablo2, and Morrowind/Unreal Tournament occasionally.

MoSe
24-09-2002, 09:21:19
Ah, you meant NEW games...
Well, last month I gave a try to Trade Empires which is however a year old or more.
Tutorial and first campaign were VERY interesting, best approach to market dynamics I found in a game. But then left it as I could envision that progress in the game became too much time-demanding, without adding more variety or fun...

Of course, sorry if I may sound repetitive, but - as usual - the games I'm always and only playing are:
70% SMAC/X
25% MoM
05% Machiavelli the Prince...

In a short time, when my last couple of pbems will be over, I plan to switch to complete Myst III Exile, which I bought on summer 2001 but only got half into 1st world as I was too busy with SMAC/X.

Nav
24-09-2002, 09:29:34
Battlefield 1942
Mafia (been put on hold for a bit while I play bf1942)

MoSe.. aren't you bored by SMAC now!!! jeeez (how many years is that!)

Mightytree
24-09-2002, 09:54:20
Ned ... still playing Diablo 2? :lol:

Oh well, me too. :D

And that's about the only thing I'm playing ... waiting for 1.10.

Darkstar
24-09-2002, 10:03:33
I've got SMACX on this machine. Need to drop MoM onto it... haven't put it back on this since I rebuilt this notebook's HD... I also have Civ2: ToT (I like the Sci-Fi), and a few other oddities. :D

Shining1
24-09-2002, 11:17:57
Mt: Yep, me too, and also 1.03 for Warcraft. They have a few issues to fix there as well.

OldWarrior_42
24-09-2002, 12:04:22
I played abit of Warcraft III... but put it on hold. I suck at it.

Playing Dungeon Siege for about 20 minutes or so , every once in awhile.

Played abit of Morrowind The Elder Scrolls Three. Don't really like the game that much right now.

Still playing some AoE every once in awhile or AoK.

And of course I have spent quite abit of time with Word Whomp, Marbles and Popit. Word Whomp and Popit are at the EA Games website. Marbles is at Netives.com.

Sean
24-09-2002, 12:13:06
Originally posted by Darkstar

Didn't they notice how much it fucking sucks? And so does the game!
Interesting that you never elaborated on how it sucked. I agree, it’s not so hot, but it’s still pretty fun.

Mightytree
24-09-2002, 12:20:14
Originally posted by Shining1
Mt: Yep, me too, and also 1.03 for Warcraft. They have a few issues to fix there as well.

Isn't it strange that most of the things legit D2 players are waiting for in 1.10 (like fixing the cow level/Bloody Foothills, getting rid of leechers and poweracting, no more item runs, better exp system, ...) were already there once in 1.06, the last version before LoD came out.

Flush LoD down the drain altogether I say. Sometimes I think Blizzard breaks more with their patches (and expansions) than they fix.

Venom
24-09-2002, 12:21:14
Medieval: Total War
Championship Manager
Madden 2003

Sean
24-09-2002, 12:26:47
Oh, yeah, I’m playing Champ Man. Lost all my saves due to an administrative error. Started again as Atalanta. Tried to keep it together, but have signed Aimar, Puyol, and Cisse.

Shining1
24-09-2002, 13:03:40
MT: Nope, I'd never go back to the original diablo. The Paladin at least has SOME viable skills under LoD:).

Mightytree
24-09-2002, 13:32:10
LoD has its good sides, I don't deny that. Runewords, runes, new items, mercs, ... lots of good ideas. There were some things they changed from 1.06 that really fucked things up though. If you look at some things that are expected to be fixed in 1.10 you'll see that most of them were already there before LoD. At least they realize their mistakes now.

1.06:
- Cow level only once per difficulty (no restriction in LoD)
- No easy high exp area (BF and cow level in LoD)
- No leeching due to better party exp system (contrary to LoD)
- No poweracting for the exact same reason (contrary to LoD)
- No item runs (contrary to LoD)
- Better exp system, playing for ladder was actually possible for those who wanted to (contray to LoD)

There are many more things in LoD I don't like like rares being close to useless and overpowered items affecting game balance (Buriza). This might be fixed too, although I'm not really expecting it. Introducing immunities was a big mistake too IMHO, but fixing that would be a too big step back I guess.

Mightytree
24-09-2002, 13:33:50
But I guess we already discussed this once ...

Shining1
24-09-2002, 13:44:49
Yep, and we agreed to disagree based on coming from very different perspectives.

Mightytree
24-09-2002, 13:51:37
Actually we mainly discussed character balance back then and agreed to disagree about that.

So what do you think about the expected changes in 1.10? Anything you like or don't like?

MDA
24-09-2002, 14:01:00
I actually played a game of Civ3 over the weekend.:eek:

Most of my time is with IWDII, but I'm going slow until the next patch comes out. Tropico, JKII and MW4 are also regularly played. I had a brief attack of Deus Ex about a month ago, too.

The NWN editor isn't really a game, but I'll mention it anyhow.

FunkyFingers
24-09-2002, 14:51:24
Aah, Deus Ex. I loved that game.

Nav
24-09-2002, 15:12:15
Still havent played it.. :bash:

Debaser
24-09-2002, 15:39:57
Quake 3
Duke Nukem
Rainbow 6

I am SO last century. I'd never really owned a good enough computer until not long ago.:nervous:

Venom
24-09-2002, 15:40:40
Just pretend you're playing Duke Nukem Forever and then you can say you're years ahead of everyone else.

FunkyFingers
24-09-2002, 16:29:20
Originally posted by Nav
Still havent played it.. :bash:

Young fool, only now, at the end, do you understand...

PLAY DEUS EX!!

Scabrous Birdseed
24-09-2002, 17:34:52
Several freeware and free online games. For research purposes.

Funkodrom
24-09-2002, 17:39:11
I'd like to hear more about Sean's administrative error.

King_Ghidra@home
24-09-2002, 17:43:14
:lol: sounds like a euphemism for 'fuck up' to me

Sean
24-09-2002, 17:46:01
I was moving some stuff around, reinstalling, repatching, and updating the database. During the course of this I deleted my saves.

Funkodrom
24-09-2002, 17:48:33
Whoops...

I normally copy my saves before I patch things but with Champ man it's a bit of a disk space nightmare so you can't really.

Sean
24-09-2002, 17:49:55
Oh, I had the space, I just couldn’t be arsed.

Funkodrom
24-09-2002, 17:54:54
:lol:

Ellipsis
24-09-2002, 20:23:41
Originally posted by Mightytree
... waiting for 1.10.

WTF is taking them so long. Are you sure it's still on? I'm out of the loop.

As for games, I play Morrowind very occasionally. I don't think I can call myself a gamer anymore.

DaShi
24-09-2002, 20:26:42
NWN's or at least the editor when I have time. Though after the last patch and all my scripts not working, I haven't looked at it in awhile.

Tinkering with Orbiter again like SP.

Darkstar
25-09-2002, 02:42:22
Sean, there's many things that are anti-fun. Like not being able to just get rid of spells... you need to draw down to 100 all of a spell if you use it, but you don't have enough slots to have them all... and there's about 20 that do not refine. Sucks having to swap things around. Just have a dump, or give the players all the slots equal to all the spells. Otherwise, it's needless hassle.

Guardian Forces... nice idea, sucky in the game. Having to play match the GF to your current set of NPCS sucks... eats up so much time...

I really hate having to do 'side quests' to progress, with no clue why. For instance, I had to go get Odin as a pet, before I could find the White Ship. Why? No reason given. White ship just isn't findable until you do. There's quite a few of these in the game.

I also have a serious believability problem with the characterization of this FF. A 17 year old punk ass fighter isn't going to give a snot about a 17 year old rich bitch slut, no matter how much his friends demands he does... especially when it's his nature to tell his friends to go fuck themselves. Lots and lots of problems...

Overall, FF8 feels like they just chunked something out to ride the money train for a while longer. Doesn't have that something the other FFs I've have played. There's just a figurative ton of stuff that detracts from the game's fun and believability/disbelief.

Shining1
25-09-2002, 02:54:09
MT yeah, the ladder characters (which are about the only thing Blizzard has admitted to, anyway) really sounded great.

There's a ton of other speculation about things in it, all of which sounds very very cool but none of which has been confirmed.

WarcraftIII needs the Arch Mage nerfed, the Demon Hunter nerfed, Moonwells toned down a bit, Orc towers reduced in cost effectiveness, high level creeps to be less vulnerable to tower creeping, and Orc Shamans and Priests/Sorceresses to be 100% less effective in combat.

Mightytree
25-09-2002, 03:14:24
Originally posted by Ellipsis
[B]

WTF is taking them so long. Are you sure it's still on? I'm out of the loop.[B]

Yes, they're still working working on it, it's just not high on their priority list at the moment. I've heard rumors it's been delayed until November. That would be quite an accomplishment, considering the patch was announced in May.

Mightytree
25-09-2002, 03:20:14
Shiny, I know there's not been much confirmed but for a thing like ladder characters to actually make sense all of the things on my 1.06 list would have to be included too. AFAIK a better exp system (meaning, less exp in general) has been confirmed too.

Mightytree
25-09-2002, 03:21:07
If you don't know already, www.diabloii.net has a nice list of confirmed and potential changes.

chagarra
25-09-2002, 06:02:12
Oh dear..... Must be a slow learner, still learning Stars!

Darkstar
25-09-2002, 06:07:03
I'm still waiting on Stars! Supernova Genesis.

Koshko
25-09-2002, 06:09:24
Age of Wonders 2 although not too much since college began.
Also Literati and other games at Yahoo Games.
Scrabble occaisionally too.

Shining1
25-09-2002, 06:54:38
Stars: SNG sounds fun but we'll see. Master of Orion 3 sounds like it might be good fun, even though it's been Warcrafted a little bit. And I still want to try Age of Wonders 2 and Icewind Dale 2.

Shining1
25-09-2002, 06:55:29
Mt: Thanks, though that seems like more of what I said before... useful speculation with absolutely no details:).

Mightytree
25-09-2002, 06:56:50
No matter what new games I'm trying out, I always end up playing Diabo2 again ... :cry:

Mightytree
25-09-2002, 07:01:57
Mt: Thanks, though that seems like more of what I said before... useful speculation with absolutely no details:).

True ... a good read though. And it has a very very very small section of what changes have been confirmed so far. :)

Shining1
25-09-2002, 08:20:29
"Cows will be fixed":)

MoSe
25-09-2002, 09:27:48
Originally posted by Darkstar
I'm still waiting on Stars! Supernova Genesis.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I think you're the only ones hoping it's not dead yet...

go take a Reality check (http://www.queendom.com/tests/minitests/fx/reality.html)

chagarra
25-09-2002, 10:19:23
Not dead, just resting, waiting for Prince Charming and the kiss of life.

MDA
25-09-2002, 15:44:34
Dr. Charming and shock paddles.

King_Ghidra
25-09-2002, 15:49:44
and the anal probe

Corwin
25-09-2002, 16:12:35
I'm currently playing Medieval: Total War and Freedom Force. Trying FF with different characters. Not having the Bullet for the final battle is turning out to be a pain in the ass.

Mightytree
25-09-2002, 18:23:31
http://www.diabloii.net/features/v110-patch.shtml

Dii.net has added new info on 1.10 today. Great news is that the number of people working on the patch has doubled, it's two instead of one now. Yay. :beer: :rolleyes:

Mightytree
25-09-2002, 18:32:34
Why is it taking so #&*@ing long?
The reason it's taking so long is because they are making such a massive amount of changes. <Snip>

Holy shit, the reason why it's taking so long is because they only had one damn person working on it for months!!! :bash:

Sean
25-09-2002, 18:39:12
Great news is that the number of people working on the patch has doubled, it's two instead of one now. Yay. :beer: :rolleyes:
:lol:.

Mightytree
25-09-2002, 19:47:08
The sad thing is that this is not even a joke. :cry:

Shining1
26-09-2002, 04:04:04
Oh, it is a joke:D. It's just one on us, not them.

Darkstar
26-09-2002, 06:21:31
Humm... If SSG kicks ass that much, then why don't they take it to Microsoft, or the same guys that are doing Space Empire 4? Stars is such a cult hit, I'd think SSG would be of equal fame.

Tao might publish it... they did Spaceward Ho! Another fun little game, and cult classic.

Funkodrom
26-09-2002, 08:25:02
How old is Diablo2? Not much money in more patches now, they have to put their resources into newer games.

Darkstar
26-09-2002, 08:28:33
Like Diablo3...

Shining1
26-09-2002, 12:01:22
The horror... The horror...!

LoD
26-09-2002, 12:02:05
LoD has its good sides, I don't deny that. Runewords, runes, new items, mercs, ... lots of good ideas. There were some things they changed from 1.06 that really fucked things up though. If you look at some things that are expected to be fixed in 1.10 you'll see that most of them were already there before LoD. At least they realize their mistakes now.

1.06:
- Cow level only once per difficulty (no restriction in LoD)
- No easy high exp area (BF and cow level in LoD)
- No leeching due to better party exp system (contrary to LoD)
- No poweracting for the exact same reason (contrary to LoD)
- No item runs (contrary to LoD)
- Better exp system, playing for ladder was actually possible for those who wanted to (contray to LoD)

There are many more things in LoD I don't like like rares being close to useless and overpowered items affecting game balance (Buriza). This might be fixed too, although I'm not really expecting it. Introducing immunities was a big mistake too IMHO, but fixing that would be a too big step back I guess.

Oooohhh, look at all that attention I'm getting :cute:.

I rarely play anything currrently, mostly Freeciv and Warbirds. And SMAC/X :gasmaske:.

chagarra
26-09-2002, 12:36:58
DS

The concept is a hosting network, with a large number of servers.
So far no one has come up with the capital to host so much long time "free" bandwith, projested sales expected would need to be in the high hundreds of Ks, and enough upfront to finish beta testing,
after Empire interactive pulled out, or was dropped, and the other MMP group had second thoughts.
There were rumors that M$ was interested, but nothing for many moons.

:(

Shining1
26-09-2002, 13:39:47
You can't just ask gamespy to do it like everyone else?:)

Mightytree
26-09-2002, 14:32:58
Originally posted by Funkodrom
How old is Diablo2? Not much money in more patches now, they have to put their resources into newer games.

True. But they announced the patch in May, had one person working on it for months (just so they can say they're working on it) and now it looks like it's coming out in December. Wouldn't they have been better off not announcing the patch until they can spare some effort to actually work on it? The way it's going now it's just pissing people off.

Shining1
26-09-2002, 14:42:39
They did the same thing with the Starcraft patch. Big(ish) balance changes, + a replay viewer, and then it took 8 months longer than expected to come out because there was no programming or Q.A support (ironically because that was all being given to LoD).

MDA
26-09-2002, 14:50:58
Killllll meeee, I played a second game of Civ3!!!!

LoD
26-09-2002, 21:52:38
Originally posted by MDA
Killllll meeee

That reminds of Duke Nukem 3D...

Darkstar
26-09-2002, 23:01:52
:shoot: MDA

Chag... that's stupid.

I remember reading it was SP, Host Your Own (that would cover SP with no other players), and We Host You. They should get the SP and Host Your Own out... and let the cult of SSG build, until Microsoft or some big player is willing to play We Host You.

Sir Penguin
27-09-2002, 08:21:47
I've been playing Morrowind for the last few days (unforunate, since it's time for midterms). The fact that it's the first game of its type I've played (unless you count Half Life) every, plus the fact that I really suck at games in general, means that I'm not doing too well. I just got lost, trying to find my way to Balmora from the orc camp (which I spent most of today and last night finding). While I was lost, I got diseased by some of them annoying flying thingies, and ran out of disease potions. To make a long story not as long, I couldn't be bothered to keep going, and I've restarted from day 20 (from day 46). Gah.

SP

CoFFee MonSTer
27-09-2002, 09:43:56
That's quite funny:).

Good going still, SP.

Deacon
27-09-2002, 15:08:49
Test Drive (Windows 2000 runs this old game just fine), SMAC, Q3A, SE4, MOO2.

The Mad Monk
28-09-2002, 21:01:28
Oh, it is a joke:D. It's just one on us, not them.

It gets better.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the second person is Shirt Guy Tom...

:nervous:

Sir Penguin
28-09-2002, 21:50:43
Originally posted by LoD
Oooohhh, look at all that attention I'm getting :cute:.

You get used to it.

SP

No longer Trippin
29-09-2002, 02:55:52
I played Morrowind till I got tired of it, beat it, tried a different class, different quest, realized they all pretty much interleave, its not as big a game as the hype made it out to be. Having to run it on a Dual p4 3.4 ghz with a Quadro to get framerates which wouldn't be jerky (ie, above 30 in blamora at 1600x1400)... I eventually got tired of it... they were too ambitious and it shows in the game. The add ons rarely work unless they were created by Bethesda themselves (although they claim the system is easy, it isn't, the way the cells are set up, they wind up checking things which they say it shouldn't check, thus creating error messages out the ass and crashing, so no additional replay value from player modules unless you feel like modding the modules, and testing, wash, rinse, repeat).

Played Medal of Honor and Wolfenstien a few times around, needed some killing action to make up for the piss poor gameplay of Morrowind... Jedi Knight 2 had a better "sword fighting system" and it wasn't even most of the game until it came into play. Just running around hacking things wasn't fun, so Morrowind, as I said before got repeditive.

Now I have shitloads of class, instead of shitloads of work, so I rarely have time for games, and if I get the job, it'll be shitloads of work again. Oh well.

Shining1
29-09-2002, 03:16:26
Now I have shitloads of class

Classy rednecks?!?:eek:

No longer Trippin
29-09-2002, 03:24:57
College dumbass

Shining1
29-09-2002, 04:18:36
Make up your mind...:)

chagarra
29-09-2002, 05:32:12
DS
I forgot to add, and pay of Empire Interactive, who rumor has it, still own the rights, or part thereof....

:D

No longer Trippin
29-09-2002, 15:53:55
It's funny hearing of a new zealander talking of rednecks considering the national pastime is shagging sheep.

LadyRachel
30-09-2002, 07:45:36
Baaaaaaaa.

Shining1
30-09-2002, 08:10:42
Down girl:).

Sir Penguin
30-09-2002, 08:42:30
Originally posted by No longer Trippin
I played Morrowind till I got tired of it, beat it, tried a different class, different quest, realized they all pretty much interleave, its not as big a game as the hype made it out to be. Having to run it on a Dual p4 3.4 ghz with a Quadro to get framerates which wouldn't be jerky (ie, above 30 in blamora at 1600x1400)... I eventually got tired of it... they were too ambitious and it shows in the game. The add ons rarely work unless they were created by Bethesda themselves (although they claim the system is easy, it isn't, the way the cells are set up, they wind up checking things which they say it shouldn't check, thus creating error messages out the ass and crashing, so no additional replay value from player modules unless you feel like modding the modules, and testing, wash, rinse, repeat).

Played Medal of Honor and Wolfenstien a few times around, needed some killing action to make up for the piss poor gameplay of Morrowind... Jedi Knight 2 had a better "sword fighting system" and it wasn't even most of the game until it came into play. Just running around hacking things wasn't fun, so Morrowind, as I said before got repeditive.

Any game in which you can kill people and undress them can have no failings.

:nervous:

SP

Shining1
30-09-2002, 09:07:24
:lol:

The Shaker
30-09-2002, 10:22:23
True, i always took all their clothes except the boots and left them in a pile by the side of them.
What a freak.

Venom
30-09-2002, 12:41:53
I'd carry bodies to places. Leave a pile in the city streets or something.

And god help me for some reason I re-installed Starcraft and was playing that yesterday.

LoD
30-09-2002, 16:46:13
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
You get used to it.

SP

You'd not imagine how many messages I got on my IM being akin to "Hey, want to play a match with me?"

Sir Penguin
30-09-2002, 19:47:50
That's certainly one problem I don't have.

SP