PDA

View Full Version : Max Payne

FunkyFingers
15-09-2002, 14:32:21
Just played Max Payne yesterday for the first time and, while I was impressed with the graphics and the bullet-time concept, I really got bored quickly of the "plot" and the voice-overs, it was all so cliched.
Also, one thing that started to bug me was that you'd basically finish off a couple of baddies in a set piece, walk down a corridor for a short while then, ooh surprise, you over hear "gangsta talk"... Wonder what'll happen now??

I have to say, style over substance.

Debaser
15-09-2002, 22:16:37
I too thought that game was basically shit. It's like they didn't even try to disguise it's linear-ness (is that a word?). The cut scenes are just a bad, predictable James Elroy novel, and you're forced to spend more time watching them than you are playing the game.

FunkyFingers
16-09-2002, 08:13:26
The picture-cut scenes were annoying too - why have the script written out when we've got the cheezy voice-under too? The watercolour photoshop filter was heavily over used on all the pictures!

Obviously 3D Realms have been "Working" on Duke Nukem Forever for so long that their publisher forced them to bring out a game in the meantime to make some money, so they rushed this one out?

Funkodrom
16-09-2002, 08:43:59
Interesting, I've heard nothing but good things about this game in the past. I was tempted to borrow it and load it up.

FunkyFingers
16-09-2002, 10:28:33
Me too, all the reviews and opinions I'd read were positive, but then I played it and felt the above. The graphics are nice though, and the bullet time scheme is a good touch which definitely adds something to the game, but I couldn't help but feel let down by it.

FunkyFingers
16-09-2002, 10:30:07
I have to say I had a similar feeling of deflation with Return to Castle Wolfenstein which I also played at the weekend - perhaps I'm becoming jaded of the FPS genre? Admittedly I played RTCW for only an hour or so, but it was all just "seen this before"...

Funkodrom
16-09-2002, 10:43:23
RTCW was good but I agree it wasn't anything all that special. The MP is quite fun but not as good as some of the Half Life mods.

Venom
16-09-2002, 11:45:50
Max Payne's burning level was annoying as shit as were all the dream levels.

I'm having deja vu. Have I already said something like this in another thread?

King_Ghidra
16-09-2002, 12:03:25
I've got to come to Max Payne's defence. I played thorugh it twice and loved it to bits (barring the aforementioned dream levels).

You can criticise the plot as typical James Elroy or call it cliched but at least they've had a go. Some bits are better than others, but it certainly helps to create the feel you are in a world rather than playing another shooter. And it is always more fun to blow away some double crossing scumbag rather than enemy #97.

Funky's right about the photoshop techniques on the graphics - really obvious to anyone who's used it.
As for the text o nthe piccies, well i'd rather read the dialogue than listen to the cheesy voice acting so i don't have a problem with that.

BTW I totally agree about RTCW, good at the time (albeit with a crap ending) but no reason to ever come back.

FunkyFingers
16-09-2002, 12:12:34
Perhaps I'm just feeling that if only they'd done just a little bit more work on the cutscene/voice over stuff to make it not quite as obviously hackneyed cliched stuff, it would have been more interesting. As you say though, at least they had a go and tried to flesh it out a bit with a story - the very beginning of the story was a good start!

Venom
16-09-2002, 13:08:30
Max Payne was fun, but I was glad it was kinda short. It was starting to get boring.

Aredhran
18-09-2002, 09:40:53
the latest levels were really hard though

King_Ghidra
18-09-2002, 10:04:51
props to the developers for requiring a bit of thought and skill in the final showdown though - took me a while to work out what to do...

Venom
18-09-2002, 11:41:55
Really? I knew right away when they first showed the snap. Took me 2 tries to find the last one though. I kept overlooking it.

King_Ghidra
18-09-2002, 12:00:25
well yeah because i missed the last one first of all i ended up thinking i should help the tower on its way with a couple of grenades...

Venom
18-09-2002, 12:05:18
I tried that too. You'd think that would work.

King_Ghidra
18-09-2002, 12:06:05
sounds like great minds think alike :beer:

Venom
18-09-2002, 12:06:41
Definitely:beer: :shoot:

monolith94
09-10-2002, 18:11:07
"Max Payne's burning level was annoying as shit as were all the dream levels. "
Really? I loved the burning level - so thrilling! It was also an interesting change of pace... Tough too.

I absolutely adored everything about Max Payne - the whole overhearing gangsters talking thing wasn't a mistake, they often did that for humor, like when they were talking about the vampires… :D

Everyone I know irl LOVES the game. It just kicks ass!

Venom
09-10-2002, 19:41:48
It just got annoying for me. I got so tired of it I stopped playing the game for several days.

Rest of the game was fine though.

No longer Trippin
10-10-2002, 04:02:35
I got tired of RtCW and Allied Assualt, so far NOLF2 has lots of promise... too bad I don't have time to write a real review, just posted what I know so far, and it's all good.