PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex

DaShi
17-12-2001, 11:25:36
Thanks to you guys, I picked this up a few months ago. I don't know, if anyone knew this, but you can save Paul Denton. I discovered this quite by accident.

Usually when the MJ12 troops bust into the apartment, I hightail it to the subway and try my hardest to get as far as I can without geting caught or killed.

In my third game, I hid in the secret room behind the bookcase while Paul took care of the troops in the room. After he finished and told me to leave, I followed him to the hotel lobby where there was a big shootout. Instead of joining in, I jumped off the balcony and into the fire, knowing I would be killed and would wake up in the prison. However, after escaping the prison Daedalus tells me that Paul is alive. And low and behold, there he is in the med lab.

Has anyone else discovered this? Or is it old news.

FunkyFingers
17-12-2001, 12:20:43
Sounds like you did well, Paul reaped it both times I played through the game.
That must change the entire plot of the game though if he survives? What happens subsequently?

Deus Ex is an awesome game. There's rumours of a sequel in production at the moment :D

DaShi
17-12-2001, 13:00:49
Not much. He eventually arrives at Hong Kong to remove his killswitch. Then you get a few messages from him. He's also the last guy to talk to you about your endgame options before you reach Bob Page. He replaces the scientist guy (I forget his name).

FunkyFingers
17-12-2001, 13:06:34
That's still very cool though that the game can have what is basically a different thread to the story.

Did you ever manage to rescue the girl from the petrol station? The first time I played it I failed but carried on. The 2nd time I played through it I succeeded and there was an extra scene, I think you get some bonus stuff too.

Brilliant game.

DaShi
17-12-2001, 13:12:16
I did the first two times. But the third time I was killing everything I could. Actually, I planned to kill after I rescued her, but I ended up getting caught and the guard killed her. So I said heck with it and finished the job.

FunkyFingers
17-12-2001, 13:19:41
I remember the first time I got caught sneaking around the girls toilets in the headquarters - when I went to see the boss shortly afterward I got a ticking off. Quality!

Mightytree
17-12-2001, 14:22:40
I bought Deus Ex last week. Unfortunately together with RtCW, so it probably doesn't get the playing time it deserves right now.

Resource Consumer
17-12-2001, 15:39:47
Definitely in with my top 5 of all time.

Beta1
17-12-2001, 17:11:34
Wow thats a new one on me (and I've played throught it 3 times) I've tried to save paul by helping out in the firefight in the bedroom but the MiB has always killed us both.

I've saved te girl all three times. That section with the petrol station is my favourite in the game. I normally play the silent stealth killer so I love the different ways you can go through that bit.

Thr only thing I dont like is that if you get into the girls cell without dispatching the guards it starts a conversation and while your stuck in that the guards come in and kill you both without you being able to react.

MDA
17-12-2001, 18:52:28
put a grenade or two near the doorway to the room and stand back! JC would have to be psychic or incredibly paranoid to do it, but it does make the battle easier.

I made the mistake first time of clearing the MIBs out of the hall and then leaving by the window instead of the stairs. The exit you use seems to be the main deterninant in whether paul lives or dies.

Played that game this summer for the first time, might be time to fire it up on XP and see if it runs.

FunkyFingers
20-12-2001, 13:41:54
Has anyone completed all 3 different endings of the game? I've only managed to get 2 different endings (and I don't mean the 3rd one is when you die)?

Resource Consumer
20-12-2001, 13:42:54
Nope. To my shame, I have never finished it. Keep picking it up putting it down, returning to it and then restarting it.

Beta1
20-12-2001, 14:27:51
Yeah I've done the three endings - I kinda like the becoming ******** * * * * * ** * * * * (deleted spoiler) ending

FunkyFingers
20-12-2001, 16:29:54
I did the ******** ending which was slightly underwhelming, then I did ti *********** which was far more satisfying, and also a lot harder to complete. The 3rd ending has evaded me so far...

No longer Trippin
21-12-2001, 05:52:36
I've gotten all three endings.

No longer Trippin
31-12-2001, 19:52:14
I'm playing it over again now that I have gotten a good 3D card, the game looked garish on my motherboards chipset accelerator. Looked like everything was in 16 bit color, but shadows and lighting effects all dropped down to 8 bits. Also lacked alot of the effects, or severly dimished them. Still looked good (for what I was used to), but it was pretty bad at the same time. If it wasn't for the gameplay and storyline, I wouldn't have stuck with it at all.

Oh, if you save the girl in the gas station, a mission or two later you get an upgrade canister. Nothing big, but still helpful.

Herman
31-12-2001, 19:55:53
Am I the only one who thinks Deus Ex is highly overrated, in the same sense as Titanic was?

No longer Trippin
31-12-2001, 22:04:04
I believe so.

FunkyFingers
01-01-2002, 18:22:15
Yup. Deus Ex is brilliant. :cool:

Cumber
02-01-2002, 09:13:42
I think Deus Ex is highly overrated, but no way in the same way that Titanic was. :)

Because it's basically all been done before. When it comes right down to it, the game is very linear and the enemy AI isn't really anything wonderful either - once you learn all the gamey tricks that work the game loses a lot. However, it is by far the best version/combination of all the things it didn't do first that I've played. I love it dearly :) (though the idea of replaying it isn't that appealing... I know the plot now).

Funky: yes I completed all three endings. Saved the game in the final area and then just loaded it to see the other two endings after I made my 'real' choice (merge with Helios).

FunkyFingers
02-01-2002, 13:44:40
Merge was my choice too. Heh heh heh (crazed manarcical laughter) :lol:

Cumber
04-01-2002, 09:36:14
Which was the ending you didn't get?

FunkyFingers
07-01-2002, 14:28:31
Back to the Dark Ages ending...