PDA

View Full Version : The Replacements

Lazarus and the Gimp
11-09-2002, 19:25:42
"Uncut" has a big feature on The Replacements this month, and their Twin Tone albums are being re-released.

Anyone into these? They were a brilliant band. It's one of the great mysteries of US music that they never became huge while REM did. "Let it be", "Pleased to meet me" and "All shook down" are sensational albums.

BigGameHunter
12-09-2002, 01:19:13
The Replacements were notorious drunkards, who, after one incredibly fucked up performance in which the lead singer exited the club via the plate glass window and was subsequently attacked by an Asian grandmother with a broom, wrote sheepishly "sorry Portland" on one of their liner notes.
True story.
And yes, they were very, very good...just not so sober live.
If you like The Replacements, try The Pale Fountains. I believe they may have been frogs.

Debaser
12-09-2002, 02:24:48
When I was about 18 I used to have a really really cool Replacements t-shirt. I foolishly gave it to some chick I was shagging at the time. We no longer speak, and I can't remember her surname. I miss the t-shirt more than I miss her.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-09-2002, 16:09:42
Paul Westerberg would be proud of you.

Mr. Bas
14-09-2002, 12:36:38
I never got into the Replacements. I bought Let it be after liking some of their mp3's from Napster, but it's a rather mediocre album IMHO. A few good songs (Answering machine, unsatisfied), but a lot of the songs failed to impress me in the beginning and still haven't impressed me. About the opposite of Husker Du for me, whose Candy apple grey I liked much better than I expected from the mp3's. Any advice on other Husker Du albums, BTW (my local record store only has Warehouse, Land Speed Record and one other, can't remember which one, I'm afraid)?

PosterBoy
15-09-2002, 09:43:17
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Paul Westerberg would be proud of you.

Paul Westerberg would write a song about it.

I've been looking for Hootenanny for ages, I think the early stuff will be more to my liking than the Sire stuff.
I got the 'best of' which is alright but there isn't any Twin Tone stuff on it.

Lazarus and the Gimp
15-09-2002, 17:03:58
Originally posted by Mr. Bas
Any advice on other Husker Du albums, BTW (my local record store only has Warehouse, Land Speed Record and one other, can't remember which one, I'm afraid)?

Husker Du changed a lot over their lifespan, getting progressively slower and more melodic. Seeing as you loved Candy Apple Grey, I think you'd prefer Warehouse to Land Speed Record (which is pure pedal-to-the-metal hardcore).

The best albums by my reckoning are "Metal Circus" and "Zen Arcade" of the early years, and "Flip your wig" of the later. "New day rising" is another good one.

PosterBoy
18-09-2002, 08:05:09
Bought Uncut and it's a great feature, has to be one of the 'I wish I was in that band' type things

King_Ghidra
18-09-2002, 08:16:17
Originally posted by Debaser
When I was about 18 I used to have a really really cool Replacements t-shirt. I foolishly gave it to some chick I was shagging at the time. We no longer speak, and I can't remember her surname. I miss the t-shirt more than I miss her.

anyone i know? ;)

Debaser
18-09-2002, 10:20:03
No. At least not as far as I know.

Funkodrom
18-09-2002, 10:24:32
He used to keep girls away from us losers then so we didn't disrupt his cool image. :D

Debaser
18-09-2002, 10:28:58
Damn right. And who can blame me?

Funkodrom
18-09-2002, 10:45:36
I certainly can't. Now you're old and have lost your coolness it's OK to hang around with us though. :beer:

PosterBoy
22-09-2002, 19:44:58
Just ordered the twin tone albums from amazon 7.99 each.

PosterBoy
27-09-2002, 08:52:33
Just arrived :)
Damn reissues have shit inlays

Mr. Bas
29-09-2002, 19:47:07
I'm checking out some Husker Du samples at the moment... Zen Arcade and Everything falls apart both sound great, although Bricklayer is the biggest piece of noise I've heard so far. My god.

PosterBoy
04-10-2002, 21:26:08
The T shirt from Altamont came today, pretty cool

i drank a bottle of wine while watching and shouting at FAme academy.

I wasn't sure what to think

Not altogether losers really

But it finished and then I put 'Let It Be' on

And everything was clear

Bless the Mats