PDA

View Full Version : Shakey, Laz, Funko, Sean, Tizzy, Guy, *End*, Debs, PBoy!!!

Scabrous Birdseed
02-09-2002, 15:29:25
Okay, guys, the enrolment phase is over, now onto more actively pursuable matters. The participants in the brand-spanking Mega-LWP thing (name suggestions appreciated) are as follows:

Me
Ron ****ing Jeremy's Dick and the Trappist
The Shaker
Funkodrom
Posterboy
Tizzy
*iaiaiai is Forever*
Sean
Guy
Debaser
The Bursar

Before the project is complete, it also needs to pass through the following phases:

I. The "my playlist is bigger than yours" phase

Congratulations, Citizen! You've been allocated 13 minutes and 40 seconds worth of space-time on one (or actually randomly distributed throughout both) of our futuristic Compact Discs of Glory. However, if you find that you've got, say, fourteen minutes or twelve minutes of material instead, feel free to use this thread to discuss a time-for-blow jobs swap or whatever with another participant, I don't care, as long as you feel you've done your part towards ensuring that the compilation is 150 minutes long. Should it be longer or shorter than this, I will personally remove the songs I like the least/add more of my own material. You have been warned.

II. The "burn, baby, burn" phase

Once you've got a playlist and you're satisfied with the contents (order doesn't matter, I'll change it anyway), burn it onto a CD-R disc (no CD-RW, please! My CD Drive is ancient and unreliable), ensuring that the track-name-writing thingy is turned off. Even though I'll know who sent what, I'd still like to participate in the review phrase so don't give me the artists and song titles in any form, please.

III. The "the instructions were translated from Japanese into Korean by a Burmese peasant" phase

The next phase involves Logistics. (oooh!) To ensure that I won't be spending my entire weekly food budget on this, I've decided that you lot will pay for a stamped, self-addressed envelope so that you can get the compilation back. I'm willing to try most arrangements for sending the two CDs safely to your doorstep... Here's my suggestion for making it easy for both of us and prevent the spread of STDs.

Go through your CD/Computer Game collection and find one of those nifty diamond cases that holds two CDs. Bin the contents. Put your newly recorded mystery meat CD into one of the slots. Now, run down to your local W H Smiths and purchase a bubble-wrap CD envelope and a manila envelope. Write your name and address on the cover of the CD envelope in such a way as to challenge and confuse Consi—er, the Royal Mail, and the following address on the manila envelope: Johan Palme, 17 Woolnough Avenue, York, YO10 3RF, GREAT BRITAIN. Affix enough postage stamps to both envelopes to accommodate the weight of the diamond case + CDs. Put the diamond case into the CD envelope, clasp it shut using paperclips or a safety pin, and place it in the manila envelope. Lick the sticky strip thing and glue it shut, put in mailbox. Don't worry, you'll get your diamond case back...

Deadline for this phase: Mid-October

IV. The "this song quite shockingly displays the signs of an exceedingly juvenile type of penis envy" phase

Once you get the full compilation back, please e-mail or PM me short (one-to-two-sentence or one-to-two-sentence equivalent) reviews of each of the tracks, including your own, as well as all the song titles and artists from your own set. I'll split the finished article into two or three or four pieces, depending on how absolutely elephantiasiscally massive the finished block of text is. If people want we might do it with longer reviews as well and do an infinately long series of articles, one each about every track. That'd keep counterglow going for like a year on its own. :)

Funkodrom
02-09-2002, 15:32:35
I'm going to send you 1 CD from me, Shakey and Debaser (we'll make our own arrangements to make sure we don't know what each others songs are) you can then send us just one compilation CD pair back and I'll burn copies for the others or hand them down.

Scabrous Birdseed
02-09-2002, 15:40:38
That's fine. I suppose your arrangements include not litsening to what the others contributed until the compilation is done... That way you won't know which of the songs on the compilation the other two sent. Although three people knowing each other's isn't that big a catastrophe.

Funkodrom
02-09-2002, 15:53:42
That's what I was planning.

The Shaker
02-09-2002, 18:49:14
La DI DAAA DI DAAA.

Scabrous Birdseed
02-09-2002, 20:59:10
I know, it's "Be My Lover" by LaBouche! Good choice!

Guy
03-09-2002, 16:50:25
Quick sanity check here, is my goal with my 13 odd minutes to:

a) out-obscure everyone
b) Impress everyone with the great music I have in my collection
c) both
d) fill time on a CD so we can write an article taking the piss of each other.

I have a list of about 80 minutes worth of music and need the criteria to start whittling it down.

Lazarus and the Gimp
03-09-2002, 18:29:41
Surprise us. The band itself needn't be unknown- perhaps a lost gem from the history of a famous band you feel needs rediscovery.

I'd be more interested in hearing things you really, really like, rather than turning it into an exercise in unearthing monstrosities that should be left buried in order to find something suitably unknown. Let's hear what you love. That's what I'll be doing.

Scabrous Birdseed
03-09-2002, 18:48:12
Perhaps a mix doesn't hurt. If you put a really obscure song on there, a song you really like, and a song no-one in a million years will guess was yours, you've achieved all three main goals of the event (expand people's horizons, propagate for "your" music, and revealing truths about yourself no-one expected).

That's unless you see the entire thing as a veiled popularity contest, of course. :D

As my allocation looks right now, I'll have one song which a couple of people will know but which I really like, a couple of songs people won't recognise but will be able to figure out are mine with a little thought, and one song which is both obscure and quite different, but which will get revealed as mine if everyone else has the kind of musical tastes I fear they have...

*End Is Forever*
03-09-2002, 20:10:29
Pop-punk! Pop-punk! Pop-punk! :lol:

Actually I think I'll put some careful thought into mine for fear of lynching. Sadly one song which would've been absolutely perfect I've already used on Sean's CD... bugger.

Scabrous Birdseed
03-09-2002, 20:15:34
Yeah, same here. I'd love to be able to reuse stuff.

The Bursar
03-09-2002, 20:28:03
Most of my obscure stuff was recommended to me by one of you lot anyway... :)

Tizzy
04-09-2002, 14:10:17
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Let's hear what you love. That's what I'll be doing.

My first thought was to do that, but most of what I love will be already known to at least some people, and I don't see there's much point in putting tracks on a CD "for review" that people will already know.
How do you review something you already know? You already have an opinion of the track based on previous hearings and all we'd get is "it's good" or "it's shite" :D
So I'll be raiding my collection for tunes you probably haven't heard before, even if they turn out to be ones I wouldn't normally admit to owning :)

Stereotypical Teen
04-09-2002, 16:26:16
Fun Boy Three?

Sean
04-09-2002, 17:51:41
Iain, you can put it on the other CD, too. It makes my job easier.

FunkyFingers
05-09-2002, 15:04:02
If only I had a CD-Writer, I could join in the fun too :(

Scabrous Birdseed
05-09-2002, 16:02:25
I was hoping you would have been in, actually, but now that you're not I'm quite happy 'cos I don't have to put in all the tracks I have with great basslines.

Guy
05-09-2002, 20:08:53
I think I fall into a similar predicament as Tizzy. So instead of strictly hearing what I love, you'll be getting some stuff that I think is more on the interesting side. I would need more than 13+ minutes to do a real 'Now THIS is music' kind of thing, anyway.

Funkodrom
05-09-2002, 23:48:39
I'm going to just put songs on that I think will really hurt Snapcase on a physical level.

Debaser
06-09-2002, 00:16:28
Originally posted by Funkodrom
I'm going to just put songs on that I think will really hurt Snapcase on a physical level.

You mean that Stefan Dennis song don't you?

*sings*Gonna make you FEEEL GOOOD!!!!

Funkodrom
06-09-2002, 08:22:03
He'd probably like that.

FunkyFingers
06-09-2002, 08:29:15
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
I was hoping you would have been in, actually, but now that you're not I'm quite happy 'cos I don't have to put in all the tracks I have with great basslines.

You mean you have a Level42 collection too? :D