PDA

View Full Version : I'm hooked on MageKnight

The Mad Monk
01-09-2002, 13:35:41
I'm not afraid to admit this.

My brother got me into this. A game or two with the little plastic figures with the dials on the bottom was more than enough to do it. It is a cross between miniatures wargaming and collectible card games; figures are sold in sealed booster packs, so you don't know what you are buying when you buy it (but the series you are buying gives you some idea), and the rules are much simpler than, say, warhammer. I've spent hundreds of dollars on the damn things so far. Not to be comptetitive, mind you, but simply because it feels like Christmas every time I open a booster! :)

I was enchanted by the way these figures would duke it out, using the dials on the bases to determine how far they could move, how well they could attack and defend, and how much damage they did on a hit; there are special abilties determined by the dials, too. If a fig is damaged, whether from an attack, a critical miss, or 'pushing' (giving it an extra move), you twist the dial clockwise, bringing up a new set of stats. If the damage stat on the dial turns up yellow, it is demoralized and can only move; if three skulls show up, it is dead.

There are factions in the game, which determine how well the figures in the army can work together. There dragons, chariots, and tanks, which are all huge figures with multiple dials that you by as pieces. There are now castles that you can buy, as well as seige engines. The is also a dungeoneering game with heroes that can level up, and can be used in the main game.

All in all, very cool.

I'm going to participate in tournaments, starting next week.

No longer Trippin
02-09-2002, 03:37:55
Sounds like Magic the Gathering... Crack for kids.

The Mad Monk
02-09-2002, 11:16:33
Oh, very much so. :)

Except that the collectible card games never caught my eye.

This did.

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/mageknight/images/fistoftezla.gif

No longer Trippin
02-09-2002, 12:51:03
So you are a mad monk.

Darkstar
05-09-2002, 06:19:55
So you got into the super heavy stuff? M:tG took up enough space with just the *cards*!

Although it sounds like something I'd like to *see*. Just not get into. ;)

No longer Trippin
05-09-2002, 10:11:24
I had a deck, that when played against the top competition deck (mirrored, cards where taped with what they were, as nobodsy had some of the cards), my deck would win generally 3 out of 5 times. That was ages ago... I don't even know where the cards are, but I'd imagine they'd be worth quite a bit. I should have competed... maybe I wouldn't have had to work my ass of this summer if I had done that for a couple years.

The Mad Monk
05-09-2002, 13:47:21
So you got into the super heavy stuff? M:tG took up enough space with just the *cards*!

I'm using Plano 3700 storage boxes (twelve at last count) to store my figs, plus a card table set up for the purpose of playtesting armies.

The play is like Warhammer (without the ten-inch-thick rulebooks); you have to keep both the opponents forces and the terrain in mind at all times, since a Nightblade (for example) can be far more annoying in a forest than in the open. In spite of some "cheese" figures, no army has become really dominant, so there's a lot of variety out there, even in hotly contested tournaments.

I don't even know where the cards are, but I'd imagine they'd be worth quite a bit.

It depends; from what I've heard, between new and radically changed rules, and dozens of banned cards, a lot of old decks have become totally unplayable (this from ex-MtGers grousing on MK forums)

In a little over two years, MK has yet to ban to single figure.

No longer Trippin
05-09-2002, 18:23:43
I know, one of my friends got addicted to the online version and wanted me to help him design a deck... I was totally lost as they don't even allow you to see all the types of cards in a set (boosters are random, but they always haev been), but you used to always been able to find out what card were in a set.

The cards were banned (especially first addition ones) because against later additions which didn't have such game turnng cards, an older player would run over them. Put they used to have categories in tournaments, I don't know if they still do now, as I'm off the card crack.

Darkstar
06-09-2002, 04:14:03
You have to know what set the cards are in... and what a total set of the cards is... The M:tG Online version lets you exchange a set of digital cards for the physical thing.

Sounds like someone is trying to screw over their customers at WotC.

Funkodrom
06-09-2002, 09:37:44
Warhammer rules these days are a couple of sheets of paper. They totally dumbed it down to get more kids involved.

No longer Trippin
06-09-2002, 09:47:04
Exactly, the digital version doesn't allow you to view a whole set fro what I've been told.

Fistandantilus
06-09-2002, 10:29:31
How so? The digital version uses the same cards, doesn't it?

Maybe you are speaking of limited tourneys where you receive a set of random cards and have to construct a deck with those? :clueless:

The Mad Monk
07-09-2002, 05:57:11
Just got back from my first tourney -- a 'sealed booster' event. Won two out of three battles, but took fourth place on points scored. Won a limited edition figure, traded for another, plus got a couple uniques from the boosters.

All in all, a fun time.

I have a second tourney tomorrow.

:)

Shining1
07-09-2002, 07:22:16
Great going, MM:). Kick Ass:).

The Mad Monk
08-09-2002, 13:41:47
I took second place!!! :D:D:D

(Of course, there was only me and one other guy playing -- but no need to dwell on that, is there?)

The Mad Monk
08-09-2002, 21:11:13
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Warhammer rules these days are a couple of sheets of paper. They totally dumbed it down to get more kids involved.

Funko, I was checking Wathammer prices -- how the heck are kids supposed to get into that, simplified rules or no? :)

Also, what happened to all the expensive, painstakingly assembled and painted figures collected by players over the years, whose value entirely depended on this or that bonus or exception in the now-deleted super-sized rules?

Darkstar
11-09-2002, 05:37:43
Hey Mad Monk! Sounds like you are having a blast!

Do you mean Twathammer /40K?