PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharged Psychobastard outta hell

Lazarus and the Gimp
31-08-2002, 19:51:34
Originally submitted as "news", but posted here while it's still topically relevant.

""Rated R", the last album by Queens of the Stone Age, holds a special place in my affections because I used to play it to my unborn daughter. The foetal Rhiannon used to freak out every time "Feel good hit of the summer" kicked in. Christ knows what it did to her development, but it's probably just as well that it wasn't the latest Queens album "Songs for the deaf" that I was playing.

Reams have been written about Queens of the Stone Age being "The Grunge supergroup", but it's worth stressing just how good these people are. Mark Lanegan is simply the best rock vocalist living, bar none, and however jaded you may feel about Nirvana even the most cynical would have to admit that Dave Grohl is one hell of a drummer. Meanwhile the ex-Kyuss spine of the band (Nick Oliveri and Josh Homme) have nothing to prove when it comes to piledriving stoner rock, and on this album they're firing from the hip. With bazookas.

"Songs for the deaf" is relentless. It's far heavier than "Rated R", but the chunky melodies have survived, leaving this album the most brutally tuneful slab of filthy biker rock I've ever heard. It's like Hawkwind stripped of absolutely everything embarrassing and injected with steroids directly to the bollocks, or Steppenwolf on Angel Dust. The feel varies depending on who's in the driving seat- Oliveri's songs are stark screaming shouty bonkers, while Lanegan's are eerie and brooding. Homme's are the pop monsters that brand your memory irreversibly.

There is nothing else like this. This isn't some Nu-metal horror of spotty twats whining about their traumas, or a case of arrested emotional development- it's men making men's music. It's rock with all the embarrassing bits (wanky solos, references to "hard lovin' mamas", whining about parents, any pretentions) beaten into a bloody pulp. At times the incessant groove gets close to Krautrock at it's most motorik- it's that stripped-down. Given the fact that this album has already been lauded to hell and back in the music papers I can forgive any hype-centred suspicion, but the fact is that there's no exaggeration or posturing. It really is that good.

"Songs for the deaf" will net awards galore, but don't wait for that. Buy now. You deserve it."

Scabrous Birdseed
31-08-2002, 20:01:40
They're absolutely awful live. And the guy with the beard is a better vocalist than the thin guy who was so drunk his voice was slurring.

King_Ghidra@home
01-09-2002, 11:39:30
didn't rate them much at Reading last year
but they were pretty good at Glastonbury this year
still sound better on my hi fi though

Funkodrom
01-09-2002, 12:59:37
I was going to put that up as an article when Nav fixed the back end.

I bought it yesterday along with the Sparta album and Wilt's new one. Three of my favourite bands with new albums in a week. Sweet.

Got a free 5 track DVD as well which is good.

I was so drunk at Reading last year when they came on I don't remember them but they were good the year before.

King_Ghidra@home
01-09-2002, 13:01:50
oh yeah, i forgot was in the middle of an enormous bottle fight when they were on. It was kind of distracting :)

Funkodrom
01-09-2002, 13:06:05
I remember Toby Torres was on stage in her bra and that a couple of hours before I'd decided I was going to get really really drunk because I hadn't been drinking all festival.

Funkodrom
02-09-2002, 20:53:54
Listened to this on the way home from work today for the first time all the way through.

On first listen it blows Rated R away, and that was a great album.

Kerrang also says that 37 deaf people turned up for a promotional event for the album (Songs for the deaf) because they thought it was a deaf event.

Lazarus and the Gimp
03-09-2002, 18:30:55
Brilliant!

Funkodrom
03-09-2002, 19:49:28
Yep. :lol:

It was a nightclub in Hull. Wonder if PH was there. :D

Funkodrom
03-09-2002, 19:49:55
They were apparently quite irate when they found out it wasn't.

Noisy
05-09-2002, 19:46:42
Based on LatG's review, I'd almost have gone for the album, but I was put off by the fact that there are no 'wanky solos'. I'll have to see if someone's got a copy that I can borrow before I shell out.

Sean
05-09-2002, 19:52:29
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
"Songs for the deaf" will net awards galore, but don't wait for that. Buy now. You deserve it.
If I wait for it to net awards galore it will go down in price.

Funkodrom
05-09-2002, 23:46:33
Originally posted by Noisy
Based on LatG's review, I'd almost have gone for the album, but I was put off by the fact that there are no 'wanky solos'. I'll have to see if someone's got a copy that I can borrow before I shell out.

It is absolutely amazing. I'd lend you mine but it's too precious. However I could lend you my personal backup CD. :hmm:

King_Ghidra
13-09-2002, 09:41:04
finally found the thread about this album...

wow. it is brilliant.

so many good tracks.

the shaker mentioned something about the crap between songs but as i only have downlaoded mp3's from kazaa (i will buy the album soon i promise) i haven't heard these bits yet....

Funkodrom
13-09-2002, 10:34:16
There are a few fake radio show bits between songs but I don't mind them at all.

Caligastia
13-09-2002, 16:56:28
My brother has been raving to me about how good this band is. maybe Ill see if they have some samples of their music somewhere.

Funkodrom
13-09-2002, 18:38:56
http://www.qotsa.com/

Plays some tunes as you load it.

Caligastia
13-09-2002, 18:56:08
Sounds good, I have to buy it now.

Mr. Bas
14-09-2002, 12:03:47
I bought the album last week... It's fantastic. Except for six shooter, but I can forgive them for that.

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-09-2002, 12:20:52
You need at least one short, dumb and bonkers Oliveri song on every Queens album.

Mr. Bas
14-09-2002, 12:27:18
True, true... It's short enough anyway, but at least Quick and to the pointless was enjoyable.

King_Ghidra
18-09-2002, 15:28:27
oh god this album is aural crack :love:

but that bonus version of everybody's gonna be happy is aural crap :(

Funkodrom
18-09-2002, 15:36:01
I thought that was funny.