PDA

View Full Version : What's the best place to go record shopping in the world?

Scabrous Birdseed
24-08-2002, 21:01:17
I'm considering planning a record shopping trip somewhere at some point in my life, or possibly not. What I'm after: A multitude of small, independant cozy record shops with rare-to-ridiculous contents and eccentric clientele. What I'm not after: Virgin Megastore.

So far, I've found Stockholm to be the top city in the world for this sort of thing. When I can walk down Sankt Eriksgatan (a street in central Stockholm) and go into no less than twelve different tiny, messy records stores cheaply selling everything from Rockabilly, Surf and Rare 70s-90s Garage Punk (Freak Scene Records) to only Rare Groove Northern Soul compilations (Nitty Gritty Records), that's a kind of perfection I've not been able to achieve elsewhere. Although I think I've been looking at the wrong parts of London, all I can find are independents the size of goddamn huge video rental stores.

Provost Harrison
25-08-2002, 23:31:47
So York not good enough for you then? :p

Sean
25-08-2002, 23:39:14
Leamington isn’t brilliant, although Fopp (http://www.fopp.co.uk/stores/leamingtonspa/map.htm) is pretty good.

Lazarus and the Gimp
26-08-2002, 05:39:27
In London- the wonderful Rough Trade shops and the Beggar's Banquet shop. Rough Trade are the best.

Bristol- sadly, the famous Revolver closed down a couple of years ago, but the Replay store under the central bus depot is very good.

Cardiff- Spillers is still great. In the Hayes.

All three cities have many other small indies, but the ones I've listed are the best.

Debaser
27-08-2002, 17:05:54
Honest John's in London is pretty good for browsing for obscure/independant stuff. If you actually have a wish list of records you've always wanted I reckon it's probably easiest to look on the internet.

Scabrous Birdseed
27-08-2002, 20:51:53
It's the joys of the shops themselves more than the merchandise. I may be feminine in this respect, but I love shopping. For anything, clothes, you name it, but especially for records.

Are there any places in London that are really record-shop heavy? What I'd really be after would be an area where I could browse shop after shop for hours, buying something here, something there. I've been to one street in Soho which had, like, three decent shops on it, and it just wasn't enough somehow, especially as two of them were the size of supermarkets and the third sold only Dance vinyl. Again, in Stockholm I get twelve to one street, and several within a few blocks of each other in another area.

Lazarus and the Gimp
27-08-2002, 21:09:17
There's shedloads in Camden. Loads in around Portobello too.

*End Is Forever*
27-08-2002, 21:16:28
Piccadilly Records is about as good as Manchester gets, as far as I know...

*End Is Forever*
27-08-2002, 21:46:35
...well, it has a great punk collection anyway.

Provost Harrison
27-08-2002, 23:19:22
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
It's the joys of the shops themselves more than the merchandise. I may be feminine in this respect, but I love shopping. For anything, clothes, you name it, but especially for records.

Considering how you dress, I find that surprising :p

Provost Harrison
27-08-2002, 23:20:29
Well I tend to buy most of my stuff online so I don't really go out hunting for record shops too much, although if I didn't have that online access, I would have to search high and low to find some of the stuff I have.