PDA

View Full Version : I've just rented the highest expression of cinematic culture in three countries

Scabrous Birdseed
08-08-2002, 16:06:09
"La Charme Discrêt de la Bourgeoisie" by Bünuel
"Solaris" by Tarkovsky
"Silent Movie" by Brooks

Which one should I watch first?

Venom
08-08-2002, 16:09:01
The french one so you can wipe the stench from your mind with the other 2.

Scabrous Birdseed
09-08-2002, 21:40:21
I watched the Buñuel film. It's subtle pythonesque absurdism and the relative prevalence of Marijuana and Police Torture were unfortunately offset by a lack of narrative tension.

RedFred
10-08-2002, 06:47:04
I am a huge Stanislaw Lem fan. But although I have read Solaris, I have never seen the movie. So it would be nice if you posted a brief review, if it is any good I might rent it.

Scabrous Birdseed
11-08-2002, 11:24:19
Watched the other two yesterday. "Silent Movie" was quite funny, but still not up there with Airplane! et al. More parody of classic films would have been nice.

"Solaris" is quite simply the best science fiction film I've ever seen. Astoundingly tensely and atmospherically filmed in three different tints, the first hour-and-a-half seemingly can do no wrong: the famous "driving through tokyo" sequence and the suggestion of the "guests" when Kelvin arrives at the station being two of the absolute highlights of cinematic art ever, I feel. Sadly, the actors playing Kris Kelvin and Hari are not quite up to the emotional complexity of the second half, and once the dialogue starts to move from science to philosophy and emotions the film sags a bit. Much of the final hour should on reflection either have been cut or made more dramatic and cinematographic like the rest of the film. However, the final section is quite wonderfully done, once Tarkovsky decides to start focusing on the world again rather than the characters.

Definately rent it. No matter what its flaws are, it's still superior to 2001: A Space Oddysey in almost every way. Oh, and you need to see it before the Hollywood version comes out next year, starring of all people George Clooney as Kris Kelvin, a role he is as suitable for as whelk is for steamrolling.

Scabrous Birdseed
11-08-2002, 11:42:19
Eugh, I was wrong. The Hollywood version is coming out this december. There's already a trailer out...

(Cue Dramatic text)
There are Some Places
Man is not ready to go
From Academy Award Winners Steven Soderbergh and James Cameron
George Clooney
SOLARIS
coming december 13th

http://movie-critic.narod.ru/trailers/s_30_06.htm

Aaaaargh! Do you have any idea quite how horrible this is going to be? It's like remaking The Godfather, director Wolfgang Pedersen, starring Arnold Schwartzenegger.

Sean
11-08-2002, 11:53:29
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
Watched the other two yesterday. "Silent Movie" was quite funny, but still not up there with Airplane! et al. More parody of classic films would have been nice.

"Solaris" is quite simply the best science fiction film I've ever seen. Astoundingly tensely and atmospherically filmed in three different tints, the first hour-and-a-half seemingly can do no wrong: the famous "driving through tokyo" sequence and the suggestion of the "guests" when Kelvin arrives at the station being two of the absolute highlights of cinematic art ever, I feel. Sadly, the actors playing Kris Kelvin and Hari are not quite up to the emotional complexity of the second half, and once the dialogue starts to move from science to philosophy and emotions the film sags a bit. Much of the final hour should on reflection either have been cut or made more dramatic and cinematographic like the rest of the film. However, the final section is quite wonderfully done, once Tarkovsky decides to start focusing on the world again rather than the characters.

Definately rent it. No matter what its flaws are, it's still superior to 2001: A Space Oddysey in almost every way. Oh, and you need to see it before the Hollywood version comes out next year, starring of all people George Clooney as Kris Kelvin, a role he is as suitable for as whelk is for steamrolling.
Moved from Allmusic to Allmovies?

Scabrous Birdseed
11-08-2002, 19:37:53
The bit about the tokyo sequence being famous and the bit about the 2001 comparison I stole from the box cover. :D

RedFred
12-08-2002, 04:38:32
Good stuff. I'll see if I can find Solaris. Might not be easy.

mumin
24-08-2002, 20:50:40
The original Solaris is OK, although I'm not as sold on it as Snappy seems to be.

I'm already gearing up for the Hollywood version, however. George frickin' Clooney? It'll be a riot!