PDA

View Full Version : "Hidden" album tracks

Snapcase
08-12-2001, 14:44:33
What's the point? And why hide them in so stupid ways? If you don't like the track, you shouldn't include it. If it's a good track, why hide it? On T.O.K.'s new album*, for instance, the hidden track (a cover of "Somebody's Watching Me") is possibly the best on the entire album and it's not even hidden in an interesting way, it's just unlisted.

Otherwise they are just there to "reward careful listeners" or something. I just can't see the point. On one record I used to have you had to fast forward through 15 minutes of silence to reach the last track. On Missy Elliot's latest, there are eleven empty tracks to skip. I've heard talk of CDs with tracks "00" and "-01", but I believe that's just urban legend. To me it adds nothing to a record, and screams immature glee.

*Counterglow Review forthcoming.

C.G.B. Spender
08-12-2001, 18:55:42
I got a Pere Ubu CD where all tracks have the same playing time, 3:47 (no, they haven't, but ...)

Herman
08-12-2001, 20:39:15
What's most annoying are those songs with 20 minute gaps after the last song ends, then the hidden track begins. All on the same track.

Makes it a pain in the ass to copy them to my computer, haveta chop it up in an editor.

PosterBoy
10-12-2001, 09:19:31
Kerosene hat by Cracker has quite a few hidden tracks.

I hate the ones with 20 mins gap. Especially if you fall asleep to them, scares the shit out of you when it come on.

C.G.B. Spender
10-12-2001, 09:33:05
or if you have a multi CD player

*End Is Forever*
10-12-2001, 11:25:21
It's quite fun when albums with hidden tracks find their way onto jukeboxes though... the Derwent jukebox here at York has "Americana" by the Offspring. The final track, Pay The Man, runs to nine minutes on it's own, plus a gap and then the hidden track (a latin mix of Pretty Fly (For A White Guy))... so for the equivalent of 20p, you can clog up the jukebox for the best part of 15 minutes. :smoke:

Roland
10-12-2001, 12:37:32
"Songs in the key of X" has a song at the beginning that only plays when you do I-forgot-what-exactly. I fail to see the point. :gasmaske:

FunkyFingers
10-12-2001, 17:34:35
One of the Nirvana cd albums had a "hidden track" at the end of it after 25mins of silence. Damn well scared the living daylights out of me when that came on for the first time :cry:

Also, I think there's an album by the Stone Roses which has 99 tracks in the CDs Table of Contents, but of course only 10 or so of them are actual music. Har har. :bash:

Every single Robbie Williams cd so far has had the final track extended with 15 mins of silence in order for there to be some "bonus" at the end.

I think one of the reasons they do it is to mess up the auto-copy features of cd players/tape decks, as it just makes it damn annoying. But hey, rock stars are "cool" and they can do what they want.

:shoot:

Funkodrom
10-12-2001, 18:49:54
Nirvana one is Nevermind, you don't get that track on the cassette version I originally had (no CD player when the album came out) so it really is a bonus track.

How do you know about the Robbie Williams albums?

FunkyFingers
10-12-2001, 21:00:04
How do I konw about the Robbie Williams cds? Er, I've got 3 of his 4 albums :love:

Funkodrom
11-12-2001, 09:20:36
:hmm: Interesting Mr. Fingers.

FunkyFingers
11-12-2001, 12:31:59
There's nothing wrong with Robbie Williams. Prove me wrong

Funkodrom
11-12-2001, 12:38:54
We should have a vote.

FunkyFingers
11-12-2001, 15:18:36
Go on then :nervous:

RedFred
11-12-2001, 21:10:14
{test post - newbie to the forum}

One of the odder ways of hiding tracks back in the old days of vinyl was to use parallel grooves on the record.

On an old Monty Python album they had a 'side 3' on a single disk. I just put it down to Monty Python weirdness, but I think I did notice that one side had a really short playing time.

Then one day the needle came down in a slightly different spot on that short playing time side and BEHOLD! a whole new batch of material.

Resource Consumer
11-12-2001, 22:24:36
Hi RedFred. Welcome.:)

I suppose, looking at the hostory of Britain at the time then that was one way to avoid the rather draconian censorship we had. I imagine that the new stuff there was rather less to the censor's tastes than the other stuff.

On the other hand, parallel grooves would mean reduced sound quality I'd have thought. Maybe. though, wuth a largely audio album then that wasn't an issue.

RedFred
12-12-2001, 04:24:23
COOL! The newbie default title seems to be site owner. A tad nicer than 'immigrant' or 'settler' IMHO.:coolgrin:

I never thought about the censorship angle. Sadly I can't test that theory as I no longer have the album. A 'friend' melted it by leaving it in the sun too long in the back of his car. I think it was called 'The Matching Tie and Handkerchief'.

FunkyFingers
12-12-2001, 09:33:09
Then of course theres' the hidden "backward" track at the end of the run-off on the vinyl of Seargent Peppers Lonley Hearts Club Band. Always good for a laugh that.
Anyone know what they're actually singing?

GG_Allin
12-12-2001, 14:21:11
Rosetta Stone - Chemical Emissions
Great Album, but...
Track 10 is actually something like 8 songs without a separator for the CD player to recognize. What a pain in the ass.
To listen to "Adreneline" you have to skip to track 10, then hold down the FF button through one whole song.
:mad:

Resource Consumer
12-12-2001, 15:53:30
Originally posted by FunkyFingers
Then of course theres' the hidden "backward" track at the end of the run-off on the vinyl of Seargent Peppers Lonley Hearts Club Band. Always good for a laugh that.
Anyone know what they're actually singing?

Yep. It's the chorus from the old song "You Are Knackering Up Your Stylus"

Lazarus and the Gimp
15-12-2001, 14:23:03
Boyd Rice, the satanic nazi who has a better claim than most to inventing sampling, once released a vinyl album with about 8 parallel locked grooves and more than one hole, all drilled off centre. It made for really weird listening, and is considered unique in being possible the only album deemed unreleaseable on CD or cassette.