PDA

View Full Version : Aikawa Nanase

Guy_Incognito
08-12-2001, 09:01:04
"Aikawa Nanase" A somewhat harmless and not bad Japanese rock band here (http://erado.virtualave.net/nanase/).

Kory
17-12-2001, 21:50:30
Plus you can almost, but not quite, rearrange the first word to mean 'cute'.

I have no comment on the band, I'm just here to comment on what went through my head.

Guy_Incognito
19-12-2001, 02:37:10
Yes, I agree completely Kory; contrarty to popular belief: there are no winners in a butter eating contest...

Resource Consumer
19-12-2001, 11:01:17
I think I'll have to dig out some of my weird Japanese stuff that was given to me by a Japanese friend back in Paris.

Guy
27-12-2001, 19:09:45
Finally got a chance to give these a listen.

A very bizarre mix of styles going on there, but it works nicely. For the most part, fairly standard Japan-pop, but with a more punk edge to it than most. I especially liked Bitch, No Future, and Seven Seas.

I've long been a fan of most east Asian pop (mostly as it's all indistinguishable to me, Vietnamese pop, Thai pop, Korean pop, Japan pop are all essentially the same to my ears) in that it's usually very energetic, not afraid to experiment a bit more than our western style pop, and not least of all, I like the fact that I can't understand a word of it which means that I don't get annoyed by the innane lyrics (in fact, most pop is better in a language you don't understand).

Overall a very enjoyable listen, and several of these songs are getting a permanent slot on my playlist now. It's a nicely done review site, as well, which really helped me make up my mind to spend the time downloading some stuff to give it a try.

If you liked this, check out a Thai singer called Bahn. Her style is similar (hardish guitar based pop). In particular, her latest single, La Gon (Goodbye) has a lot in common with Aikawa Nanase.

Kory
31-12-2001, 11:34:11
Sorry, I'm too busy listening to Cowboy BeBop to listen to any other Japanese music. Maybe later.

Kory (Puts Tank! on repeat...)

KAWAAAAAIIII!

DaShi
01-01-2002, 02:49:12
Originally posted by Kory
Sorry, I'm too busy listening to Cowboy BeBop to listen to any other Japanese music. Maybe later.

Kory (Puts Tank! on repeat...)

KAWAAAAAIIII!

Me too. :beer: I got the first one for Christmas and just got Blue today. God, I love that song. Free.............

Guy:

Check out Faye Wong, if you haven't. I started listening to her music while I was in China. Since I only know a little Chinese, I can only pick out a few phrases or words, but her voice is outstanding.

Guy
02-01-2002, 15:32:02
Will do, Dashi, thanks!

Aikawa has definitely grown on me, I'm going to have to buy an album or two, I think. I'm also going to start lobbying my local video rental place to get Cowboy BeBop (I just can't bring myself to pay the outrageous prices the stores ask for single episode tapes or disks).

Kory
03-01-2002, 00:54:53
*scritches head* I dunno about the tapes, but the DVDs are 4 (or in some cases 5) episodes per @ $30 list price (meaning, $25 most places). Tapes might only be two/tape I suppose.

Not that I knock renting a new series, since you don't know if you'll like it, but if you're seeing single-episode disks than something is seriously awry.

-- Kory (box set is out now but it's no cheaper)

Guy
03-01-2002, 12:57:46
Tapes are a single episode per and generally run between $12 and $20 depending on where you shop. You are correct, though, about the DVD's which are a much better deal.

I'm lobbying the video rental place for a bigger anime section just on principle. There's a lot of stuff that I have no interest in owning, but like to see once in a while. Plus, if they start carrying Cowboy, then other people will see it, like it, and cry for more anime as well, which can only be a good thing. That's my theory, at least.