PDA

View Full Version : Gamespot, shamespot

Funkodrom
05-08-2002, 11:16:56
Gamespot.co.uk (http://www.gamespot.co.uk) has closed down. All Gamespot type stuff is now integrated with the slower, at least from the UK, and more annoying US Gamespot.com (http://www.gamespot.com) site. Also any stories are only free for 30 days then you have to register for some premium membership bollocks to read them. I used to really like the Gamespot UK site.

What a load of balls. Luckily some sites will keep reviewing the best games for free... If I find them I'll try and publish some links! Oh and here of course. If anyone actually finishes their reviews.

Fistandantilus
05-08-2002, 11:30:07
It's good. Counterglow will soon become the only 'free reviews' site. Think of the traffic increase! :D

Nav
05-08-2002, 11:49:21
:faint:

Nav
05-08-2002, 12:18:19
Well it's definitely a shame that they decided to close the UK site. I Wonder how many staff were made redundant. :(

But... I think your reaction to them charging for content is a bit extreme. Ok we're used to having it for free, but how often do you buy a games magazine for 5/6?? If you consider the cost for employing reviewers, designers, programmers etc, paying for server and bandwidth use. How could big sites continue being free? I just can't see it happening.

I also can't see enough people paying for anything like that online. :)

So we'd be left with sites such as this... better not finish those reviews if you want to see this site online next year! ;)

Funkodrom
05-08-2002, 12:43:36
I never buy games magazines any more. They cost too much. Plus there are loads of people reviewing games for free and more reliably, or I can just ask people.

I can't imagine anyone actually paying for content, it's not that good. It was just convenient.

Venom
05-08-2002, 12:50:50
They're closing the UK site down? Shit, even I was going to that one so I could avoid the US gamespoting dick weeds. What a crock. Maybe Fist is right, we can become the last great monument to a freer time an obelisk to the Golden Age of the internet...and um....yeah gamespot sucks. I usually go to gamespy now, even though the content is kinda watered down.

Fistandantilus
05-08-2002, 12:53:45
I'd download the demo of the game and make an opinion myself rather than pay for someone elses opinion.

It's retarded. We have plenty of free newspapers (that live on adveritizing), I can hardly believe that the cost of producing and distributing newspapers is lower than mantaining a site on the web.

Venom
05-08-2002, 12:56:35
You have to pay at a lot of places to download demos now. Bandwidth costs are killing them now because more people than ever have high speed modems and are not afraid of downloading these formerly untouchable huge files.

Fistandantilus
05-08-2002, 13:12:49
Whatever. If software houses produce demos it's because they know it's good advertizing for the final product so they should pay the bandwidth costs happily.

Of course if people are so stupid to pay for those demos....
What next? We'll have to pay to watch commercials on TV? :rolleyes:

Vincent
05-08-2002, 13:29:07
"We have plenty of free newspapers (that live on adveritizing)"

We STILL have a lot of free newspapers. I just read about the collapse of Ziff Davis and the advertising crisis

http://www.ziffdavis.com

Funkodrom
05-08-2002, 13:29:24
Yep. Try a demo, or even better ask someone here who's played it how good it is.

Venom
05-08-2002, 13:40:37
I'm not defending them or anything. I despise all formerly free sites that charge. Gamespot is now in the same class as Sierra for me. But it's not the software companies charging for the demos, it's the "mirror" sites hosting them.

It doesn't really matter though. It's just going to be a return back to what the web used to be. People creating sites because they want to, not because they want to get rich.

Funkodrom
05-08-2002, 13:45:48
Let's hope so.

Vincent
05-08-2002, 13:54:05
I want to get rich with www.loudmedicine.net

Venom
05-08-2002, 14:02:42
You're rich with available bandwidth at Loud Medicine.

No longer Trippin
06-08-2002, 04:24:48
I might be able to at least set up a games server on the t1 line which I'm scheduled to get for NON PERSONAL use LOL only.... but asshole boss wants to have one of his "tech oriented" guys have access privledges before he pays for it... so I'm negotiating... meaning slowing down his end while speeding up my other bosses end.