PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Shorts

Snapcase
30-07-2002, 11:22:14
The Mercury Music Prize shortlist (http://www.mercurymusicprize.com/) was just announced a couple of minutes ago. Quick look through the entries reveals the usual Politically Correct british nonsense, exemplified by the inclusion of The Doves, astoundingly boring-but-gorgeous Joni Mitchellalike Gemma Hayes (isn't she irish?), and everyone's favourite prat, The Streets. Confirms the slow and smelly death of british music, I'd say... None of these would make any sensible list of top 20 albums of 2001/02. Unless the ones I haven't heard of are astonishingly great.

Funkodrom
30-07-2002, 11:31:20
First hearing of The Streets - unlistenable rubbish

after a few hearings - absolute genius

Snapcase
30-07-2002, 11:57:31
I think he's a good musician, but I doubt he'd be able to find brixton on a map. Should stick to production...

Funkodrom
30-07-2002, 11:59:34
The music is OK, what I really like is his really clever rambling speeches. He paints a great picture of the world.

Snapcase
30-07-2002, 12:11:05
I don't like his world. It's so not rock. :) Sitting in your mother's flat playing N64, I mean, I practically do that! :D'

I litsened to samples of the bands I hadn't heard of, and based on that The Bees or possibly Ms. Dynamite should win.

Funkodrom
30-07-2002, 12:39:01
It is real though, that's what's good about it.

Snapcase
30-07-2002, 12:49:28
Yes but I don't like him as a person. I mean, Ministry of Sound, please.

Funkodrom
30-07-2002, 12:50:21
I don't know anything about him.

Snapcase
30-07-2002, 12:58:18
IF you don't know anything about him, doesn't this clash with your earlier statement that what he spat about was real?

Funkodrom
30-07-2002, 13:05:44
Not really, real in that it's things that I can understand, believe, and relate to.

It sounds like they are based on genuine experiences or how would he know?

Snapcase
30-07-2002, 13:15:19
I think he's faking lots of it.

You mean you can't deduce anything about the personailty of the writer from his works of fiction?

Funkodrom
30-07-2002, 13:29:59
Maybe. His pilling/clubbing song is spot on. I haven't heard much other stuff.

I didn't say anything that meant anything even vaguely similar to that. I don't know any facts about who he is, where he's from etc. I've seen a couple of videos is pretty much all. From that he seemed like he had some good stuff to say that I thought was genuine. *shrug*

Snapcase
30-07-2002, 13:42:32
Whereas to me he seems to be quitessentially english-middle-class, public school educated, christian, attached to his mother, nerd. I find his attempts to seem "street" quite annoying.

Snapcase
30-07-2002, 13:43:51
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Maybe. His pilling/clubbing song is spot on. I haven't heard much other stuff.

I thought that song was about the late-eighties Rave scene more than anything else. The bit about the piano is a clear Strings of Life reference, for instance.

Funkodrom
30-07-2002, 13:47:25
Yeah... that's what I meant but I wasn't around in the late 80s rave scene so it strikes chords with me for later club stuff.

Not aware of Strings of Life.

Snapcase
30-07-2002, 14:07:42
Big hit usually used to represent the "Second Summer of Love", 88. Starts with a cascading piano sample, as referenced in the song.

Funkodrom
30-07-2002, 14:33:42
Fair enough, I didn't listen to music until Nirvana and no dance until at all until the mid '90s.

MattHiggs
30-07-2002, 15:10:53
Snapcase didn't you like The Streets a few months ago. You were telling us it's the future sound or some magazine type crap like that?

MattHiggs
30-07-2002, 15:12:42
The only band I know of on that list are Doves. Got their first album a year or two ago. I really liked it at the time. Not got their new album yet.

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-07-2002, 17:25:41
The Doves album is really good.

Snapcase
30-07-2002, 18:17:32
Er, no I didn't, Matt. I just liked it more than the rest of the UK Garage scene. And I liked his beat construction (still do!) Now after litsening to Ms. Dynamite's dancehall crossover, I'm switching alegiance. :)

I still say The Bees should win, based on RealAudio samples of all the bands. :D

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-07-2002, 20:33:14
Incidentally, how is the fact that the favourites are middle-class white boys evidence of political correctness? Have you been on the Bostik again?

Snapcase
30-07-2002, 21:05:14
"Political Correctness" in the Nobel Comittee sense of pandering to some sort of mystific recieved wisdom in the selection of candidates, in order to create some sort of self-defined fairness without any glance at who's actually most deserving, just who it'd be correct to pick considering the current line of thought that permeates the body.

Note the shortlist inclusion of (a) one classical pianist with no chance of winning, (b) one jazz musician with no chance of winning, (c) Several faintly ethnic entries picked because they don't stand out too much and with scant chance of winning, (d) a number of carefully genre-dispersed white indie acts, all just mainstream enough not to be threatening or interesting, one of which inevitably will win. Caveat: It might be the turn of one of the first three to win this year according to the Unwritten Rules. I don't know.

It's all very british. You've got a great capacity to take any good genre and remove all the interest from it, to create something more gentile. Take punk: Great buildup, brilliant american bands, crosses the atlantic with the help of Westwood and McLaren, intellectually dead within the year. I'm not even going to mention the unspeakable things done to rock by british people in the seventies, just saying the words "Led Zeppelin" is enough.

In the intervening period between a Genre coming to britain and the stylistically unexciting mainstream PC crowd getting hold of it what you make can indeed be fucking brilliant. But with the exception of the sixties (when the vultures of popular music were lost somewhere else for a while, and no-one had told Steve Windwood to put a naked adolescent girl holding a model airplane on his record covers, resulting in him actually making music rather than shit), most great british genres have dissapeared within a year or two. Skinhead Reggae, Glam Rock, British Punk, Early Indie, Where Are You Now?

Funkodrom
30-07-2002, 22:29:32
Yeah, the Americans did rock a lot better, look at Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue and Guns and Roses. :hmm:

MattHiggs
05-08-2002, 00:24:03
Van Halen are my favourite 80's band :D

Funkodrom
05-08-2002, 08:29:11
I like songs by all those bands mentioned. ;)