PDA

View Full Version : Bootlegging?

Snapcase
23-07-2002, 13:33:39
Astoundingly fun yet potentially pointless "new" (ie. The Mainstream Press Just Got Hold Of an Old Phenomenon) trend involving mixing two well-known songs into a third satisfying whole. Illegal as fuck, yet sells like hotcakes (look up the latest Rough Trade Shops chart...)

Download the astoundingly brilliant "A Stroke of Genius" by Freelance Hellraiser, and see what I mean. It's better than both of the mixed-together songs, The Strokes "Hard To Explain" and Christina Aguilera's "Genie in a Bottle"...

It's seeping into the mainstream, of course. "Freak Like Me" by The Sugababes started off as a bootleg by a guy called Richard X, was heard by the record company and Adina's vocals were replaced by the Sugababes', with Richard X as producer... Radio Soulwax's legal Bootleg Compliation "2 Many DJs" is in my current set of frequently-played CDs. And supposedly Kylie regularly does a bootleg-style reimagning of Can't Get You Out of My Head over New Order's Blue Monday on her live sets...

Snapcase
24-07-2002, 09:08:18
I'm giving quite serious thought to buying a three-mp3CD compilation of this stuff*, what I've heard off it (in the legal Soulwax mix album) is very fun indeed.

* "Never Mind the Bootlegs", Currently #1 on the Rough Trade chart. Astounding for an essentially illegal album. :D

Funkodrom
24-07-2002, 09:15:38
Sympathy post.

King_Ghidra
24-07-2002, 09:19:28
for most of this year i have been mainly listening to bootlegs from

http://boomselection.net/

and

http://www.base58.com/bsx.html

My top bootlegs:

Adina Howard Freak like me Vs. gary numan & tubeway army are firends electric
D12 purple pills Vs. gary numan i just can't get enough
Craig David fill me in Vs. Survivor eye of the tiger
Kylie minogue can't get you out of my head Vs. some Tino Maas rock track
Christina Aguilera genie in a bottle Vs. The strokes hard to explain
Beatei Boys sureshot Vs. Iggy pop lust for life
Eminem Without me Vs. Dexy's midnight runners come on Eileen
The streets has it come to this Vs. Electralene film music

and best of all

Nelly country grammar Vs. The Grange Hill theme

Snapcase
24-07-2002, 09:20:09
Oi, you got me on to this stuff in the first place last year by sending me that mix of Survivor and a RATM song!

Funkodrom
24-07-2002, 09:21:38
The Grange Hill one has vanished, can you e-mail it to me?

(Snappy, you can thank me for saving this thread later...) ;)

Snapcase
24-07-2002, 09:22:21
K_G: Yup, after getting that Soulwax CD Preview at the start of the year, I've been looking into the scene as well. Lots of fun stuff!

Snapcase
24-07-2002, 09:23:34
One other favourite: "Bootilicious" vs. "Smells like Teen Spirit"

King_Ghidra
24-07-2002, 09:27:39
it's funny how much replay value of the lot of the songs have. First time they make you smile and you think 'that's clever', but they really do stand up to repeated listening and i really have been relistening to a lot of these tracks all year.

Snapcase
24-07-2002, 09:34:31
Definately. Some of them sounds like they were fucking made for each other.

Debaser
24-07-2002, 16:13:47
Eye of the Tiger (Survivor) vs I Wish I Was A Little Bit Taller (Ski-Lo) - One of my all time favourite songs.

Noisy
24-07-2002, 16:55:50
'Canticle'/'Strawberry Fair'?