PDA

View Full Version : Solomon Burke

Snapcase
19-07-2002, 17:27:22
I generally don't like old seventies soul icons (many exceptions here, of course) and especially not old seventies soul icons making a comeback thirty years later. And especially not old blah blah blah whose music is written by old demi-rusty white musicians. I'm still considering getting the latest Solomon Burke album, though, considering the songwriting talent behind it... Er, original compositions by Dylan, Costello, Nick Lowe, Tom Waits, Brian Wilson, Van Morrison, Mann-Weil, Dan Penn... :hmm:

I dunno. I'm highly suspicious. Astounding reviews, but really, Solomon Burke?

Debaser
19-07-2002, 17:54:49
you can listen to a few snippets here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000068CTE/qid=1027100952/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-1299272-5320812

Sounds to me like the work of "old demi-rusty white musicians" though. I mean, none of those people you mention have done anything good for years have they?

The Shaker
19-07-2002, 17:56:49
Luckily i've never heard of him so I don't know what you are prattling on about :)

Sean
19-07-2002, 18:15:08
Originally posted by Debaser
Sounds to me like the work of "old demi-rusty white musicians" though. I mean, none of those people you mention have done anything good for years have they?
:hmm:.

The Shaker
19-07-2002, 18:20:03
There may be the slightest possibility that he's trying to take the piss out of good old snappy.

Snapcase
19-07-2002, 18:27:54
Can't be, I'm on his side. :D

Debaser
19-07-2002, 18:29:40
I'm not taking the piss at all. Tell me something any of those guys have done in, say, the last 15 years that is anywhere near as good as the stuff that made then famous .

(Disclaimer: with the possible exceptions of Mann-Weil and Dan Penn, who I've never heard of.)

Sean
19-07-2002, 18:37:01
Er, Tom Waits?

The Shaker
19-07-2002, 18:37:15
Didn't Tom Waits do that Alice album ?
(stolen blatantly from Gimp since i really have no fucking idea about these oldies)

Sean
19-07-2002, 18:38:06
Alice and Blood Money.

Snapcase
19-07-2002, 18:38:25
Actually, listening through the samples this isn't as bad as I'd feared.

Many people consider Dylan's "Time out of Mind" (1997) to be one of his best. I don't, but still. Nick Lowe's "The Contender" from last year got rave reviews as well.

(Barry Mann-Cynthia Weil and Dan Penn are legendary songwriters mostly active during the sixties. Dan Penn has only recorded one album, in 1994, while Barry Mann only famous recording is "Who Put The Bomp..." from before his songwriting career. :D)

Snapcase
30-07-2002, 09:55:58
I had a proper litsen at the store today and it's quite nice, I might buy it, but still borderline pastiche.

Scabrous Birdseed
19-08-2002, 22:12:44
I caved in today and bought this as an impulse buy, and I've come to the conclusion that I have serious problems with musical racism. Why is it that I feel that all black musicians should be doing is increasingly futuristic pop of various kinds (which they're way superior at compared to white musicians, mind)? Why can't I accept that one wants to do highly artistic stuff at a more advanced age, since I accept it in all the white musicians who contributed songs here? Why can white musicians be allowed to pluck the black Jazz and Blues heritage but not Black musicians themselves? Am I allowed to even like his rendition of the poetically heavier material like Waits's and Lowe's songs and like them more than the simpler stuff from Wilson and Dylan that supposedly fits into the aging sixties soul icon image more? :clueless:

Darkstar
20-08-2002, 00:05:50
You are allowed to like what you like, SB. Now, if you dislike something before you have even listened to it, then you have shorted yourself out of an opportunity to find something you like. But you cannot listen to everthing... so you have to discriminate at some point.

Easy way... ask your friends what they thought of it. Helps to have friends with wide ranging taste in music. ;)

Since you bought it, don't forget to spread the joy to your friends, if you *really* like it.

Scabrous Birdseed
20-08-2002, 09:57:46
All my friends have shit tastes in music. Irrelevant. I'm quite good a discriminating ;), and there's a helluva lot of music I want to hear before even beginning to approach the stuff I've labelled as bad.

No, but the question remains: Why do I consider black people doing their underground music from the seventies old and mossy, while whites doing the equivalent fresh and exciting? Is it racism or does proto-punk age better than funk?

Debaser
20-08-2002, 10:58:42
Maybe it's because since the 70's "black" music has gone from strength to strength, continually re-inventing itself and staying current and interesting with new sounds and styles.

eg
The 70's - Stevie Wonder's classic albums, Funkadelic, Parliment etc.
The 80's - Public Enemy, Michael Jackson's classic albums.
The 90's - Continual evolution of rap music, quality slick R&B.
The 00's - Interesting new producers like The Neptunes

"White" music, on the whole, hasn't really done this so much, prefering to stay within the safe commercial genres of rock and singer songwriter type pop, and generally morphing into a more watered down, bland immitation of what it used to be.

Basically my point is that maybe you have higher expectations of black musicians, and feel let down when they aren't producing something fresh and exciting. With the white musicians, you're just glad they're harking back to their golden period, not playing the turgid shit they produce today.

Scabrous Birdseed
20-08-2002, 11:14:39
But that would imply that I like Black music more than I like White music. Which is quite likely true if you include Jamaican music in the equation, but not to that extent. I actually honestly like lofiey Stooges derivates, and for every time I play my Aaliyah records I probably play The White Stripes twice. :clueless:

protein
20-08-2002, 11:25:56
Michael Jackson is black?

Debaser
20-08-2002, 11:55:36
Originally posted by protein
Michael Jackson is black?

He was in the 80's.

Darkstar
21-08-2002, 04:01:43
Well, in the early 80s, anyways.