PDA

View Full Version : Memento discussion *spoilers*

Drekkus
15-07-2002, 12:34:07
I warned everybody. Read this and it ruins the movie experience.

last time I saw it was over a year ago, so I might be missing things.

But I like to hear peoples view on the ending, where he's driving down the road, after killing the police guy. I thought he deliberately choose to continu hunting (momentarliy knowing he had killed the suspect), knowing it was the only thing that keeps him focused (and thereby sane).
In a flash there's a pic with him having a tattoo saying: I have done it. Does he initially stop to put that tattoo, and then ends up with the numberplate tattood?

Funkodrom
15-07-2002, 12:46:17
That's the way I saw it. He definitely conciously decides to kill Teddy for turning him into a killer even though he knows it means he'll carry on searching and killing more people.

Funkodrom
15-07-2002, 13:00:43
The "I have done it" tattoo, isn't that just a fantasy? It can't be a memory because he can't remember things after his wife died and he can't have the tattoos and have his wife alive? So it must be a momentary fantasy of his happiness that he's avenged her.

Drekkus
15-07-2002, 14:29:08
Must be. I think that's why he stops at the tatoo shop, then has another lapse and wonders what he is doing in front of a tattooshop with the licenseplate number in his hands.

Venom
15-07-2002, 14:53:27
No. He makes the conscious decision that he didn't kill the suspect yet. His mind finally tries to remember something, but he blocks it out because he just can't face the truth. He killed the Real guy while his wife was still alive. I'm guessing he got the tatoo removed after he killed his wife and couldn't remember what happened to her.

FunkyFingers
15-07-2002, 14:56:27
I think he kills Teddy out of utter desparation, but then really he doesn't know Teddy different from anybody else.
However, he's only got that one thing in his life, his mission, so if he actually does give himself the "i've done it tattoo", he will give himself nothing to live for subsequently?

Funkodrom
15-07-2002, 14:58:20
Originally posted by Venom
No. He makes the conscious decision that he didn't kill the suspect yet. His mind finally tries to remember something, but he blocks it out because he just can't face the truth. He killed the Real guy while his wife was still alive. I'm guessing he got the tatoo removed after he killed his wife and couldn't remember what happened to her.

That can't be right because he still had the tattoo saying "John G raped and murdered my wife" as well as "I have done it" there's no way he'd have had a tattoo made that said that if his wife was still alive. So he can't have gone for revenge when she was still alive, or killed the guy when she was still alive so it must be a fantasy.

You can't trust memory, there's a long speech in the film about that. So therefore you shouldn't trust anything that Leonard thinks he remembers about his life before his accident, but even so, logically there's no situation in which he could have both tattoos and be in bed with his wife.

Funkodrom
15-07-2002, 14:59:15
Originally posted by FunkyFingers
I think he kills Teddy out of utter desparation, but then really he doesn't know Teddy different from anybody else.
However, he's only got that one thing in his life, his mission, so if he actually does give himself the "i've done it tattoo", he will give himself nothing to live for subsequently?

That's what I thought he meant, although he also wants to get revenge on Teddy for using him and turning him into a killer - of someone who didn't deserve it.

Venom
15-07-2002, 15:19:51
Originally posted by Funkodrom

That can't be right because he still had the tattoo saying "John G raped and murdered my wife" as well as "I have done it" there's no way he'd have had a tattoo made that said that if his wife was still alive. So he can't have gone for revenge when she was still alive, or killed the guy when she was still alive so it must be a fantasy.

You can't trust memory, there's a long speech in the film about that. So therefore you shouldn't trust anything that Leonard thinks he remembers about his life before his accident, but even so, logically there's no situation in which he could have both tattoos and be in bed with his wife.

You can't trust Leonard's memory. But Teddy had the facts. He had the police report, and he had the picture of Leonard celebrating. It got to the point where Leonard was creating and twisting facts to hide the fact that he killed his wife and that he still needed revenge so you can't even trust the tatoos. He did after all write down Teddy's license plate as a "Fact".

Funkodrom
15-07-2002, 15:28:07
Yeah but we don't know what it said in the police report, we only have Teddy's word for any of that side of the story. We can't trust Leonard's memory and we can't trust what Teddy says either but it still doesn't make any sense for that "I have done it" Tattoo scene to be anything other than a fantasy, even if he did get the first killer when his wife was still alive and even if he did kill his wife, in which case he wouldn't remember it even enough to be able to mix it with the story about Sammy Jankis.

If you go to the website it has extracts from the police report that suggest that his wife didn't actually die on the night of the attack and he was commited after that but escaped.

Check out the word 'foul' as well, that's very interesting.

http://www.otnemem.com/

FunkyFingers
15-07-2002, 15:52:21
Did he actually even have a wife?

Venom
15-07-2002, 15:52:39
I have no doubts that she survived the attack. But let me check the website for more info.

I still think he's gone beyond the realm of his "condition" and his brain is actively blocking memories that are too painful for him. We see proof of this at the end where he convinces himself that Teddy can't be right and that he didn't kill the original attacker and that he's still on his mission. He just plain old can't believe he's succesful, even with all his tatoos and pictures.

Funkodrom
15-07-2002, 15:56:07
I don't think he convinces himself that Teddy can't be right as much as decides that even if he is right he should get revenge on Teddy.

FunkyFingers
15-07-2002, 15:57:01
Got to feel sorry for Teddy really.

Venom
15-07-2002, 16:01:26
Originally posted by Funkodrom
I don't think he convinces himself that Teddy can't be right as much as decides that even if he is right he should get revenge on Teddy.

I disagree with that. He kills Teddy because he's a John G. That's his mission with or without Teddy's help.

Funkodrom
15-07-2002, 16:05:42
The fact that he's a John G is a convenient coincidence that let's him get away with convincing himself that he can kill him.

I'm definitely going to watch it again now.

DaShi
12-06-2005, 10:03:12
I thought he killed his own wife and couldn't accept it so he arranged to have himself kill Teddy so that he would believe that he did get his revenge for this imagined assault on his wife.

Venom
16-06-2005, 17:15:28
It's funny reading this having not seen the movie in 3 years and having no fucking idea what you were talking about.

DaShi
17-06-2005, 04:04:51
That's standard for most of my posts.

I was looking for one of the story threads and came across this one. I hadn't seen the movie when this thread was started.

mr.G
23-06-2005, 15:47:50
Originally posted by Venom
It's funny reading this having not seen the movie in 3 years and having no fucking idea what you were talking about. :lol: had the same expierence, must be the heavy drinking.