PDA

View Full Version : The Paperclip - Cute Screen Pet or Symbol of All That is Evil?

kittygurl
12-07-2002, 03:37:37
My relationship with the paperclip has always been ambivalent. It's cute, it really is. And there have been times when it's correctly guessed what I'm trying to do, and even helped me format business letters, which I write too infrequently to remember how. But I think that one of the first things I learned in Word 97 was how to turn it off. I've gone through stages where I banish it from all Wordly enterprises for months at a time, and stages where I've downloaded the cat or dolphin forms of it to frolic in my documents and distract me from the utter mind-killing boredom of a school paper on the exports of Peru or a monthly restocking report at work or whatever pointless assignment I'd been given. It inspires strong conflicting emotions of cheesy amusement, hatred, joy, and frustration. In melodramatic moments I feel that Clippy is the one constant in my life, the pet who will never die. Even when you wish he would.

Yesterday I installed the upgrade to Office XP on my computer and found that this is the first version of Word where Clippy is hidden by default. He's still there, but you have to want him. I think I'm fine without him for now, but I know the separation anxiety will kick in soon and I'll download whatever cheesy new avatar they've designed for him.

M$ has a page here where you can vote on Clippy's fate or watch an animation voiced by - how perfect is this - Gilbert Gottfried. Pretty scary. It seems the company is aware of the clip's low popularity. I don't know. I think he ranks as some sort of mythic trickster deity in the collective consciousness by now, and as such deserves some sort of respect.
http://www.microsoft.com/office/clippy/ for the masochistic among you

Kathy Loeb

What I'm reading: Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins
"The life-span of the butterfly is precisely the right length."

Funkodrom
12-07-2002, 08:59:37
It's correctly recognised I wanted to write a letter and then tried to format it in some bizarre letter format I've never seen before. I've never seen it suggest any form of sensible business letter format.

I have much respect for you if you managed to remove all trace of the foul beast in Word 97, that's a trick not many people managed.

Nav
12-07-2002, 09:07:59
I :heart: Office XP. For that reason.

Funkodrom
12-07-2002, 09:09:03
I haven't needed to install it yet. :beer:

Sean
12-07-2002, 22:36:05
How do you make the Task Pane stay open all the time?

dorker
13-07-2002, 00:17:23
That was a very entertaining musing. I got the student version for about half price. I have this little robot gizmo with big eyes now. I never use him, but let him hang around for company.
Sean, you really would want to keep the task pane visible all the time?
Try this: go up to Tools > Customize > Toolbars > scroll down the list and put a check in the task pane box.

rickster

Sean
13-07-2002, 00:28:32
Yeah. For some reason Microsoft created a really useful feature, the Task Pane, which lets you view the fomatting of individual characters, manage a multiple clipboard, and choose recent documents, and then MAKE THE DAMN THING CLOSE WHEN YOU LOAD A DOCUMENT! AAAGH!

Funkodrom
13-07-2002, 10:38:09
That is useful. Well it would be if it was there.

LoD
13-07-2002, 13:04:54
Seen this easter egg?

Sean
13-07-2002, 13:07:59
Easter Egg? It’s just one of the mouseover things.

LoD
13-07-2002, 13:11:00
OK, you don't have to really search hard for it, but it is rather suprising upon finding it. Not to mention ominous :nervous:.