PDA

View Full Version : We Will Rock You

Tizzy
10-07-2002, 16:03:23
Went to see the Queen musical 'We Will Rock You' the other night, not quite sure what to expect.
Sure, I had read reviews, but is a review from someone who already knows they don't like the music going to be a fair review?
So I went with an open mind, knowing if nothing else, at least I'd hear some songs I liked.

Well, the storyline was cheesy in parts and some of the links to the next song predictable.
But I enjoyed it. It was funny in quite a lot of places, the choreography was good, and the principals all had excellent voices.

As long as you don't expect to take it seriously, it's worth a look.

Snapcase
10-07-2002, 17:44:40
Whaddya mean "don't like the music"? Every single review I read (okay, all three) said exactly the same fucking thing, that the Ben Elton had written a shit sci-fi storyline and spoiled a great opportunity. Which is bullshit, since Queen's music is shit and always will be.

Nav
10-07-2002, 19:14:37
Somehow I doubt you read the kind of publications that would like Queen. ;)

Snapcase
10-07-2002, 20:27:20
The Guardian, The Observer and The Independent. In the guardian one arsehole waxed lyrical over how the life of Freddie Mercury would make a great musical.

Sean
10-07-2002, 20:42:18
The Guardian AND the Observer?! You mean like, the Sun AND the News of the World?

Snapcase
10-07-2002, 20:58:56
Separate reviewers. :shrug:

I still don't understand how having an entirely different staff on Sunday makes any sort of economical sense.

Nav
10-07-2002, 21:40:39
maybe something to do with labour laws and time off...

Funkodrom
11-07-2002, 08:28:51
Don't they do that with most Sunday versions of normal papers?

Snapcase
11-07-2002, 10:01:13
I understand writers need time off. But why not stagger it? Say, the Film Reviewer gets Saturday and Sunday off, when there are no Previews, while other writers may get, say, Wednesday off. Or Monday, even. It'd still work out way cheaper than having two complete sets...

Bossman
11-07-2002, 10:36:40
Originally posted by Snapcase
Whaddya mean "don't like the music"? Every single review I read (okay, all three) said exactly the same fucking thing, that the Ben Elton had written a shit sci-fi storyline and spoiled a great opportunity. Which is bullshit, since Queen's music is shit and always will be.

How on earth can you dis' Queen! Is there anything you do actually LIKE SnapCase?

Funkodrom
11-07-2002, 10:38:09
I understand writers need time off. But why not stagger it? Say, the Film Reviewer gets Saturday and Sunday off, when there are no Previews, while other writers may get, say, Wednesday off. Or Monday, even. It'd still work out way cheaper than having two complete sets...

I think it works well.

The Shaker
19-07-2002, 20:41:40
Originally posted by Bossman

How on earth can you dis' Queen! Is there anything you do actually LIKE SnapCase?

In me younger days I used to really like queen.
Even now a few of em still fill me with joy.
'specially the really early stuff
and one vision.

Snapcase
19-07-2002, 22:18:40
Originally posted by Funkodrom

I think it works well.

Sure it works. But it's not cost-effective.

Er, I like lots of stuff. It's just a very narrow selection, that's all.

Lazarus and the Gimp
19-07-2002, 22:57:03
You used to like Queen, didn't you?

Darkstar
20-07-2002, 06:00:11

Why don't you tell us how you really feel. ;)

(I bet that's the most replied quote we've ever had at CG...)

Snapcase
20-07-2002, 13:05:44
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
You used to like Queen, didn't you?

Yes, in my teens. Quickly rejected once I had a broader base of selection to work with. ;)

Fistandantilus
20-07-2002, 14:44:27
In my teens I knew more about music than now :nervous:

RedFred
29-07-2002, 06:34:01
Count me in as another former Queen liker. Well, Queen 1 still finds its way to my record player now and then. But not the other stuff.