PDA

View Full Version : LotR games

Sean
09-07-2002, 20:37:21
My brother bought a copy of C&VG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com) today, and I was flicking through it and say a preview of five Tolkien-based games. I was all ready to write an article about how terrible they looked, but there isn’t enough info available to give them a good savaging yet.

Still. The Hobbit (Sierra/Vivendi/whatever) screenshots make it look like Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, without the charm or colour. And Bilbo looks plain weird.

The Fellowship of the Ring (also Sierra) had this in its preview ‘particularly exciting is the power to use The One Ring, where a meter restricts the amount of time you can remain invisible’. And so it came to pass that the One Ring was nothing more than another action-RPG artifact which (effectively) wore out after a little while :rolleyes:. The screenshots look alternately like early Black & White and Rune, that Viking game thing. As if all that wasn’t bad enough, the previews indicate that Gandalf has become some sort of bad-ass battlemage. WTF?!

EA have the rights to do a series based on the films, not the books, which sets them apart from the Sierra lot. This one looked like a muddy version of Generic Beat-Em-Up Sidescroller Fantasy Version, and the only characters playable are Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas.

Fistandantilus
09-07-2002, 20:44:06
If the quality of the LotR games is the same as that of the Star Trek ones... :vom:

MDA
09-07-2002, 21:12:09
I heard somewhere that they're all devil bastards over at Sierra.

Sean
10-07-2002, 11:19:49
Oh yeah, one more thing. I looked at lots of online previews, and you know what? They barely said a damn thign about the game! They talked about the movie, the book, the booth that they were shown it in, and Zelda, before concluding with ‘I loved the books and I can#t wait!!11!!!!1’

Venom
10-07-2002, 12:01:06
GOD DAMN DEVIL BASTARDS AT SIERRA!!!!

Anyway, they were making a sweet Middle Earth game a few years ago but they cancelled it.