PDA

View Full Version : So whos playing Combat Mission

Beta1
27-06-2002, 10:08:04
Now my match against RC is over anyone fancy a game????

Theres a demo at www.battlefront.com under downloads

Resource Consumer
27-06-2002, 18:09:18
I lost by the way.:(

Resource Consumer
27-06-2002, 18:09:44
badly:(

Venom
27-06-2002, 18:10:16
Was part of the game making RC go away for 6 months?

Beta1
28-06-2002, 08:45:31
That was part of the grand plan.

Cumber
30-06-2002, 17:18:15
I wouldn't mind a game... I'll have to install it again and and remember how to play and figure out how the multiplayer stuff works though.

Beta1
01-07-2002, 08:42:46
Its pretty easy (the multiplayer not the game) do you have the full version or the demo?

Cumber
01-07-2002, 13:43:44
Full version; I bought it last year. My hard disk died last December though, and I haven't got round to reinstalling it since I got the new one. Well past time I did. :)

Beta1
03-07-2002, 15:36:50
Well if you fancy a game (QB/scenario) just set up a pbem game and send me the file - I'll take allies or axis attacking or defending but I prefer smaller maps and smaller (<2500 point sizes) But if you want a big epic game/map feel free. Just dont give me green vokstrum attacking in the snow against crack british heavy tanks or I'll sulk!

(sorry I didnt reply earlier - I was having computer probs)

LoD
17-07-2002, 14:45:52
Anyone still wants to play it? I have the demo.

Beta1
18-07-2002, 09:40:04
sure - I cant remember what maps the scenario allows you to play but if you want to start an email game and mail me the file I'll see if it works with the full version and if not I have the demo somewhere too.

Like I said I'll play either side in any scenario. (just dont give me the tigers in the snow/elsdorf map as a defender as I just hammered RC on that one)

I'll PM my email.

BigGameHunter
11-08-2002, 00:49:15
I'd play a game as well...email in profile.

BigGameHunter
14-08-2002, 19:29:39
So, RC, what are his weaknesses?
:)

Beta1
15-08-2002, 11:28:00
Hmm difficult to say from one game but was too cautious with infantry and too aggressive with tanks.

In my game v LoD I'm the other way around.

You can never really judge this in a scenario as you have to play with what youve got. In a QB with selected troops its very different.

MOBIUS
22-08-2002, 04:28:58
Sure, I'm game - I meant to post here a while back!

gwilym.owen@ekno.com

Beta1
22-08-2002, 09:59:16
Their all coming out of the woodwork now! this forum is full of closet CMBOers.,

I cant set one up tonight - its my girlfs bday and she would kill me if I spent it playing CMBO!

Maybe you could set one up, But can I play the allies? - I'm axis in all the other games at the moment and it would be nice to have a chance to play the other side. I dont mind what settings you use, just keep it at or under 2000 points, otherwise I find it gets a bit mad. Also I dont have any special rule requirements and its safe to say I wont be opting for a M8 MHC/greyhound rush!

BigGameHunter
23-08-2002, 00:42:08
I'll be setting up my troops tonight I think.
We might need to get some sort of tourney going tonight.
Oh, and I think it only fair to mention that, for "research" purposes, I started a QB the other night at 2000 pts, same settings, etc. and ended up wiping out the Germans in the end. Had them surrounded...though they are tough buggers, charging the flags til the bitter end.

Beta1
23-08-2002, 10:11:52
Thats OK I have played many a QB as the germans and normally leave the brits or the americans in tatters. Its more that the AI is not really up to Meeting engagements against good opposition.

You need a few games to check your not exessively tank or infantry heavy anyway and to test out if you really need that extra machine gun/mortar etc.

As for the tough buggers- thats one of their strengths. Some of the Axis infantry squads can field as much close range firepower as 2-3 standard american rifle squads. Sturmkompanies in particular are very hard to kill as each squad is 13 rather than 10 and they carry a decent amount of automatic weapons (Its something like 5 rifles, 3 SMGs 3 assault rifles 2 light machine guns) gives lethal amounts of fire at 50-100m and you really dont want to get closer than 50m to a german infantry squad.

A lot of QBs come down to using the map well rather than troop deployment - and our map is a bit of a puzzle (at least if you chose lots of tanks it will be!)

BigGameHunter
23-08-2002, 20:30:42
Haven't had a chance yet...sick kid. I can probably get it back to you in the next day or so. The wife doesn't get too enthusiastic about me playing games when the child is going berserk. ;)
Yeah...armor doesn't do you a whole lot of good once you've dealt with the enemy armor I've found.
But when you are going to fight the Germans, I think it is best to err on the side of caution and make sure you have the armor to fight with, because it is weaker and you need numbers to take out the big German tank most times.
Plus, micromanaging infantry can really get on my nerves.
I think that 2000 points seems just about perfect...good call on that.
Neither of us has a height advantage?

Beta1
24-08-2002, 13:24:30
Well I'm 6'2" so I guess I might have a couple of inches on you!

theres no huge hill that gives static gun wide fields of fire.

Theres a few hills but nothing that really gets high enough to see above the tal pines that cover most of the middle.

As for armor only being good against other armor I guess you havnt run into a churchill crocodile yet - that 152mm front armor +75mm howitzer+100m range flame thrower makes it a total nightmare for enemy infantry.

Even a couple of shermans standing 250m off a woodline can basically stop any amount of infantry coming out - no man portable AT weapon has the range to reach them and their three MGs + 75mm gun will chew up anyone who sticks their head out. And they have enough HE ammo to sit their pounding away for most of the game.

Really the sherman is a great infantry tank but only if used properly - against axis amor the bog standard sherman is toast.

I like 2000points too - It means you dont get a major miss-match as even if I spend all my points on infantry and you buy all the tanks you can + infantry the difference in numbers wont hand me the easy win and you wont be able to buy enough tanks to just steam roller me. Makes it well balanced and forces you to play proper combined arms.

LoD
24-08-2002, 14:09:52
Originally posted by Beta1
Really the sherman is a great infantry tank but only if used properly - against axis amor the bog standard sherman is toast.

Now he tells me ;)...

MOBIUS
24-08-2002, 17:43:28
Originally posted by Beta1
I cant set one up tonight - its my girlfs bday and she would kill me if I spent it playing CMBO!

Me too!:(

I bet Rommel never had that problem...

Should be able to sort something in the next few days - I'm still a bit of a greenhorn though...

BigGameHunter
25-08-2002, 01:27:43
Hmmm....you're right...this map is a bit of a quandry. It definitely seems to slope down toward me, but the tree cover should be good enough to eliminate most advantages you may have. As for armor...lots of cover, not many clear shots...should be interesting.
Looks like recon and force are going to be the final qualifiers...hmmm...could take me a little longer to come up with my plan...hang in there.

Beta1
25-08-2002, 12:10:30
No rush guys - I have to have about 80% of my PhD thesis finished by friday so i'm going to be a little busy this week.

BGH - I know what you mean, I could really have done with another few sharpshooters for scouting. I've also completely forgotten what my plan was going to be. Maybe I should write these things down - especially if I'm going to be playing 3 games at once!

BigGameHunter
25-08-2002, 19:20:13
Well, as anal as it sounds, on these types of maps, sometimes I will do the bird's eye view and print out the map. Then I'll sketch out some ideas on what paths I want to take, etc. I have a bit of a short attention span, so if I don't have hard reference to go back to, I end up meandering around.
I should have something for you today, but my work pc doesn't have all the terrain mods my home one does, so instead of bazookas and trees, etc, I get white squares...it is a bit distracting.
:)

Darkstar
27-08-2002, 04:04:56
Originally posted by MOBIUS

Me too!:(

I bet Rommel never had that problem...

Actually, he did. Proof of that: He wasn't at Normady during D-Day because he was spending the time with his wife. (It was her birthday, IIRC.)

BigGameHunter
03-09-2002, 05:30:36
Hey...Beta...did you get my email? Just checking...

BigGameHunter
06-09-2002, 20:30:21
Man...I sent that turn quite a while ago...are we having some mixup or what? If you're busy, that's cool...just not sure?