PDA

View Full Version : SMAX is a masterpiece of bugs

Darkstar
25-06-2002, 04:02:15
I'm sure this is no surprise to anyone here, but I just discovered a new bug (well, new to me). An enemy's last city was always defended by my troopers. Every time I wiped them out (to get the city), it just moved to a different city of mine. Now, that's some defense!

How did they manage to so totally fuck up so many fucking times? Incredible! I was just goofing off on my notebook, but that just spoiled that. Oh well. Time to find something else to goof off with...

MDA
25-06-2002, 12:33:45
An enemy's last city was always defended by my troopers.

I'm really not getting this at all - the bug is that the AI broke alliance without kicking out your troops? Its too early in the morning to think.

Angband is remarkably stable when compared to SMAC. :)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
25-06-2002, 22:18:06
Well, you have to admit, a game that's constantly being patched and updated year after year beats a Firaxis rush-job any day.

Darkstar
26-06-2002, 05:59:50
Qaj, Too True :)

MDA... as soon as I *destroyed* all *my* troops defending Aki's city (and it's funny seeing my Psi Interceptors scrambling and defending...), it switched to another of my cities. It was bad pointer magic, obviously. As it was *confusing* Aki's city with my own cities. It was just walking down the collection of cities.

I couldn't *control* my units listed in her city, but if I went and found my city that it was confused with, I could move out my defenders 'in her city'.

It's a sure sign that the code is complete crap from start to end.

I suppose I should load up Angband 2.4 on this system... but a notebook's keyboard doesn't have the extra keys like keypads, after all. Humm...

DaShi
26-06-2002, 12:57:45
I get by all right on angband with my computer. I jusst stick to the arrow keys when running, then use the number line when I need to move or attack diagonally.

I've had the same thing happen to me on smax as well. I assumed it was just a feature :). Your troops represent spies or defectors in the enemies city or some crap like that. Basically, I treated them as free units that I didn't need to support.

MDA
26-06-2002, 17:40:36
So you had your troops in her city, but you couldn't control them, so you destroyed them in order to take her city. At which point another one of your cities became "hers", and you could no longer control your troops in that city.

I think I got it. Never saw that one, but I didn't spring for the expansion (which means I never got the final patched version of SMAC:))

DaShi
26-06-2002, 18:57:03
I could always control mine.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
27-06-2002, 00:29:34
Ack. Couldn't imagine how bad it would be to play Angband on a notebook. I've contemplated it a few times, but it's too restrictive with just the cursor keys, and I'm NOT switching the fake numpad on and off as needed. And rogue keyset is too non-intuitive now I've been playing regular keyset.

ObSMAC/X: I've never had that problem. Maybe it's your computer, DS :D

Fistandantilus
27-06-2002, 00:53:43
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
ObSMAC/X: I've never had that problem. Maybe it's your computer, DS :D

Naaah that is very rare but happens. IIRC it made the bug list Aredhran and Zsozso sent to Firaxis.
Obviously it has never been fixed :D

chagarra
27-06-2002, 06:12:33
DS
I seem to remember that one from the original, although that was so long ago I can't be sure.

:rolleyes:

Darkstar
27-06-2002, 06:22:09
Well, I guess I normally take my victory earlier... but that game, I was having fun playing with 3 and 4 row clean units to much.

I had noticed how many games use the keypad... so I picked up a Targus Calculator/USB Keypad. A bit pricey, but works great. Need to find a nice USB 101+ Keyboard... then I could have a full sized KEYS to type on.

On SMAC, using the arrow keys wasn't too bad... my 'end' key is just above them, so that let me shift down-left. Ok for just cursoring around on the map...

Venom
27-06-2002, 12:30:14
WHAT?????!!!!! A BUG? In one of firaxis' games? No fucking way.

MoSe
05-07-2002, 09:55:09
I wonder...
should a Starship Trooper game come out, would the players still complain it has bugs in it...
:bounce:

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
05-07-2002, 16:31:33
DS, have you contemplated one of those flexible rubber keyboard thingies? Most of those are USB, and they're fairly portable.

Darkstar
12-07-2002, 05:54:27
Flexible rubber keyboard thingie? Please explain.

Nav
12-07-2002, 08:44:06
Good for those people who repeatedly bang their heads against them when finding yet another bug. Dramatically reduces head injuries.

Funkodrom
12-07-2002, 09:58:46
Do they bounce off when you hurl them at your monitor?

LoD
12-07-2002, 10:00:30
:shoot: 5

Aredhran
12-07-2002, 10:06:25
Originally posted by Fistandantilus

Naaah that is very rare but happens. IIRC it made the bug list Aredhran and Zsozso sent to Firaxis.
Obviously it has never been fixed :D

Many many things from that list were never fixed (probably never even looked at, actually :rolleyes:)