PDA

View Full Version : ANGBAND: Round 2, Game 1/5, Challenge #16

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
11-06-2002, 16:54:59
Okay folks, here it is. Angband Challenge #16, character supplied by our previous winner Sir Penguin.

Character #16 is Aeric, a Spectre Death Monk, and will be delving the dungeons of ZAngband v2.4.0.

Here are the rules:

1. NO CHEATING. This game is basically being run on the honour system. No-one can stop you making save-reload backups, but it is not part of the rules. If you die at CLevel 49 one turn before killing Morgoth, you'll have to start from CLevel 1 again. (Not that you'd need to, since you're almost guaranteed to win)

2. You have around two weeks to get as far as possible. It is possible to win the game during this time period. Due date will be 2002-JUN-26 2200 GMT (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/) (that's 10PM, folks).

3. There are some options you are not allowed to change. Below I will list the ones that are forbidden for you to change during the challenge.

3 - Auto-scum for good levels
3 - Generate dungeons with aligned rooms
3 - Generate dungeons with connected stairs
3 - Monsters chase current location (v. slow)
3 - Monsters chase recent locations (v. slow)
3 - Monsters learn from their mistakes
3 - Monsters exploit players weaknesses
5 - Allow unusually small dungeon levels
5 - Always create unusually small dungeon levels
5 - Allow empty 'arena' levels
5 - Monsters behave stupidly
Any of the "Cheat Options"

The others you may change according to your preferences. Keep in mind that this is only the list for ZAngband 2.4.0. Other variants will have other options, and will have their own taboo list.

Remember, when changing options then saving the character to the disk and making a backup to start with should your character meet an untimely end, you cannot play any turns between changing options then saving the character.

If you dispute any of the rules or option changes, post your objection, and we can all debate whether or not the rule should stand. Any suggestions for further rules will be welcomed.

Last but not least, here's the link to the Angband Challenge Page (http://www.geocities.com/qaj_stars/chal.html).

Good luck, and happy adventuring!

Sir Penguin
11-06-2002, 23:33:48
It took me a few tries to get past clevel 12. The guy's a little flimsy, but he's also got a whack of resists and bonuses that make up for it. He can walk through walls (but loses HP), which can be a great strategic advantage. I was at 800' in my latest game and found a pit full of Gnoph-Kehs (?), which are native to around 1200'. Just walked through the back wall, threw a few ball spells, and they were gone in short order. Oh, spectres not only resist nether, but if I'm not mistaken, it actually heals them.

It will be worth it to read the section in the help on Monk attacks (?|6|9). Monks get some wicked melee attacks at higher levels, plus a +1 speed bonus every 10 levels, plus free action at some higher level. They also get a crapload of attacks per round as they get up in levels.

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
12-06-2002, 00:25:55
Yep, monks are pretty sweet. And you're not mistaken re: nether and healing (you get a message along the lines of "you feel a little better" when hit by a nether attack).

I used to play spectre mindcrafters, but their strength rating is a bit low, as are their hitpoints, so I switched to mindflayers (which also suck a little due to the preponderance of the tentacle mutation instead of something cool like the computer brain one).

DaShi
13-06-2002, 12:58:01
I like this guy. Rough start here as well, but being able to travel through walls is great. On the dlevel 2 quest, I had Mogesh(sp?) the Kobold lord and his giant kobold hord, without realising it. I forgot about the quests and didn't read the note. So I was happily wondering around the second level until I came up to a giant kobold. No problem. Then another. Then another. This didn't seem right for this level, but I soon learned what I was up against. Fortunately, I was at clevel 14 at the time and giant kobold were minor threats, but with a low AC they can start to wear you down. So at about 30-40hp I fled taking shortcuts through walls until I reached a room to rest. Then went back and repeated the procedure until all the little buggers were dead. When I killed Mogush a stairwell and a nice shortbow appeared. Then I remembered that it was my quest. :)

I could never get a mindflayer mindcrafter past the early levels. Everything could kill it easily since it missed all the time. I was forced to scour the dungeons for potions to drink, scrolls to read, and locked doors to open just to raise my levels.

MDA
13-06-2002, 14:25:46
mindflayer and dwarven mindcrafters are my favorite, you just have to be a coward until you get pulverize. Early levels consist of mind blasting and running away - or just plain running away from tougher undead or mindless creatures. After you have pulverize you can stun things and whack away at them freely for a few rounds.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
14-06-2002, 22:01:56
Stun whacking is best accomplished while hasted, of course, for tougher creatures, so be sure to bring your hoard of Potions of Speed until you get Adrenaline Rush :)

MDA
14-06-2002, 23:17:42
Stupid kobolds have been hell on me. I detect evil every time I descend to 100', just to be sure I can explore a bit before running for my life.

Cumber
15-06-2002, 03:05:24
I was planning on joining in on this round, but I should really wait until all the nasty exams have gone away. :cry:

Sir Penguin
16-06-2002, 19:59:26
I found that when going after the kobolds, sleep and malediction were a very effective combination. :)

By the way, I'm still going with my old Aeric. I've brought him up to level 31, at around 1600'. I had a nasty runin with Lord Borel of Hendrake, from which I had to run away :cry:. He was in some sort of special room with 4 stat potions and a couple of other easy uniques, too. I seem to recall that there was one of those worm masses that summons bad guys, too.

SP

MDA
17-06-2002, 19:54:04
I found an easy way to beat the kobolds - keep getting killed (like about 15 times) until you happen to have the luck to get them stuck behind a yellow mold in a long hallway - repeatedly blast with rod of lightning balls I found at 50' until everyone is dead. Kill yellow mold, even though you've come to think of it as a close friend, then pick up Mughash's crappy drop.

The dark priests at 200' are nearly as tough as Mughash's bunch. A bunch of them tried to curse me to death when I first came off the stairs. I quickly went back up the stairs. :) Finally made it past them as well, now shlumphing around at 600' waiting to collect basic resists, and free action (which I should get sooner or later as a monk, anyway, right?).

Purchased a ring of slaying at the BM, very, very, nice.

I'm thinking that magical figurines of molds (that don't have ranged attacks) could come in handy after this experience.

DaShi
17-06-2002, 20:36:25
Wait till your clevel 14. Which I will have to do again. :( And Mugash gave me a bow of accuracy. :cry:

MDA
18-06-2002, 13:18:05
What happened at 14? Orb of entropy? I'm about clevel 20 and my fail rate is still high on that one.

I don't even carry missiles - malediction or nothing for me.

MDA
18-06-2002, 13:21:21
Damn, Zangband.org has been down for weeks. I was curious about the monk attacks. I love their stuns.

DaShi
18-06-2002, 13:22:17
At 14 you're strong enough to take on the kobolds without malediction and have enough hp to make a quick get away through walls. Of course, getting to confident using my fists is what got me killed in the first place.

I may not win this one. I'm still at clevel 1 as I haven't had the time to start a new character. Plus, I stupidly didn't save the data for my deceased clevel 18. :bash:

MDA
18-06-2002, 15:22:35
That makes sense - I managed to take them at level 10 using that mold and rod trick, but I had lost a handful of previous characters (levels 5-10) raiding at 100' just a BIT too far from the stairs.

Aeric is MUCH more durable at level 20. The ability to actually wear more than two pieces of armor is the prime factor, I think.

I've got free action boots, I just need to round out my resists without ditching that ring of slaying.

Has anyone else run into pseudo dragons and noticed they are really easy to stun?

On another note: Just finished the first three books of the Chronicles of Amber, I'm alternately intrigued by the story (esp. the political infighting/intrigue of the Amberite Trumps, and I suppose the mystery of their chaos/shadow enemy but that's unfolding more slowly) and frustrated by pages long descriptions of walking through shadows to get to another world. I end up skimming through all the flowery description of changing skies, vegetation, rocks, weather, etc. and skipping to where the real story begins again. Zelazny must have taken some powerful hallucinogens at some point.

Have any of you read these? I got 10 books all in one 1200 page paperback from the public library.

Sir Penguin
20-06-2002, 05:49:51
I came across another scroll of Acquirement. Teleported down to 4900'. Found a ring after I read the scroll. Turned out to be a +11 Ring of Speed :D.

SP

Cumber
21-06-2002, 09:25:43
MDA: I read all the Amber books about a year ago. I found them most enjoyable, though sadly the first cycle loses a bit towards the end; the mysteries and intrigues slowly get a bit more.. far fetched I guess, as the books progress. Still very entertaining though. I can't remember if that applied to the second quintet as well though... actually, I can't remember how the second cycle ended. I think I'll have to get them from the library again sometime soon. :)

MDA
24-06-2002, 12:09:26
Vault at 1600 - Stormbringer (from the Unique of the same name) what good is it with a heavy curse - can it be removed without my being attacked by cyberdemons? Ah, doesn't matter with this character, but in case I run into it again...

This particular vault was one of the ones where a normal character would have to tunnel to get to the next open square - for a spectre its ideal - you don't have to tunnel and you have a nice place to retreat to if you need it - unless your enemy can tunnel or move through walls, of course. The Great Storm

The Great Storm Wyrm and Storm Troll were new experiences for me as well.

Killed Groo and Shelob elsewhere last night. This Aeric is turning out to be one of my better ones. It took enough false starts!

I also found a scroll of acquirement - teleported to 4900 feet and came back with a Dragon Shield (res blind and fearless). :hmm:
Ripoff. I'm using it, and it does give nice "WHAMM!" shield bashes.:rolleyes:

DaShi
24-06-2002, 12:53:58
I'm so behind. I think I make a new character and get him up to clevel 15 just so I don't have a 0 in my score. I've had some bad luck with this guy and he doesn't really seem that hard. Those early levels can be a bitch though.

Cumber
24-06-2002, 13:08:29
Stormbringer is heavily cursed, not anciently and foul cursed. Heavy curses are just curses that can only be removed with scrolls of *Remove Curse*. Ancient and Foul curses can't be removed. :cry:

I found Stormbringer once. It's a very very nifty sword, except that it drains experience... permanently too, and it doesn't matter if you have hold life. But it was good enough that I had to have a big debate with myself about whether or not to use it.

MDA
24-06-2002, 14:53:17
I almost gave up early and settled for a lv 14 entry - I finally made it past level 20 and he got really fun to play with. I've encountered some never-before-seen-by-me Uniques and monsters and stunned them silly. +10 permanent speed now, +20 with potions or staff. :)

I didn't know about the experience drain with Stormbringer. hmm. I must have been blinded by all those nice resists.

Sir Penguin
24-06-2002, 19:47:50
Stormbringer doesn't drain very quickly for a normal character anyway. I remember it was good enough for me to carry around and use as a secondary weapon to Chainsword with my level 50 Amberite warrior-of-some-sort. I think because of the teleport resist, or whatever it is. And it only did 300 less damage per round than Chainsword :).

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
25-06-2002, 16:32:59
By the calendar on the wall, y'all got 1 day left for Challenge #16 (technically, at time of post you have about 28 hours). So get going! Yah mule! Yah!

MDA
26-06-2002, 01:38:00
Oh, all right then. I'm not going to have time to play again before the deadline...
Awesome challenge, SP.

[Zangband 2.4.0 Character Dump]

Name : Aeric Age 117 STR: 18/77
Sex : Male Height 75 INT: 18/106
Race : Spectre Weight 104 WIS: 18/138
Class : Monk Social Class 1 DEX: 18/128
Magic : Death CON: 18/120
CHR: 18/90

+ Skill 34 Level 34 Max Hit Points 389
% Deadliness 193 Experience 633640 Cur Hit Points 389
+ To AC 165 Max Exp 633640 Max SP (Mana) 188
Base AC 23 Exp to Adv. 770000 Cur SP (Mana) 188
Gold 237046

(Miscellaneous Abilities)
Fighting : Superb Perception : Superb Blows/Round : 5
Bows/Throw : Very Good Searching : Superb Shots/Round : 1.0
Saving Throw: Chaos Rank Disarming : Chaos Rank Avg.Dam./Rnd: 58
Stealth : Chaos Rank Magic Device: Chaos Rank Infra-Vision: 90'

(Character Background)
You were created by an Evil Priest. You have matted brown
hair, blank white eyes, and a deathly gray complexion. An
eerie green aura surrounds you.

[Miscellaneous information]

Maximize Mode: ON
Preserve Mode: ON
Autoscum: ALWAYS
Small Levels: ENABLED
Arena Levels: OFF
Hard Quests: OFF
Num. Random Quests: 48
Nightmare Mode: OFF
Recall Depth: Level 33 (1650')

abcdefghijkl@
Acid : ....+....+...
Elec : ....+........
Fire : ....+........
Cold : ....+.......+
Poison: ............+
Fear : ........+....
Light : .............
Dark : .............
Shard : .............
Blind : ........+....
Conf : .............
Sound : .............
Nether: ............+
Nexus : .........+...
Chaos : .............
Disnch: .............

abcdefghijkl@
Speed : .......+...++
Reflect : .............
AuraFire: .............
AuraElec: .............
NoTelprt: .............
No Magic: .............
Wraithfm: .............
DrainExp: .............
Teleport: .............

abcdefghijkl@
Free Actn: ............+
SeeInvis.: ............+
Hold Life: ............+
Telepathy: .............
SlwDigstn: .......+....+
Regen. : .............
Levitate : .............
PermLite : .............
Aggravate: .............
EvilCurse: .............

You have defeated 8768 enemies.

[Character Equipment]

a) (nothing)
b) (nothing)
c) an Amethyst Ring of Protection [+17]
d) a Ring of Slaying (+13,+8)
e) a Crystal Amulet of Resistance
f) The Phial of Galadriel (+1 to searching) {uncursed}
g) (nothing)
h) The Elven Cloak 'Doerokdok' [4,+19] (+4 to speed)
i) a Dragon Shield [11,+24]
j) The Steel Helm of Hammerhand [6,+20] (+3)
k) (nothing)
l) a Pair of Soft Leather Boots of Speed [2,+9] (+3)

[Character Inventory]

a) 5 Books of Death Magic [Black Prayers]
b) 5 Books of Death Magic [Black Mass] {75% off}
c) 24 Puce Potions of Cure Critical Wounds {50% off}
d) 3 Sky Blue Potions of Healing
e) a Red Potion of Restore Mana
f) 7 Scrolls titled "nejturs ereorg" of Teleportation {25% off}
g) 34 Scrolls titled "ox bekbat" of Identify
h) 2 Scrolls of Protection from Evil
i) 2 Mithril-Plated Rods of Trap Location
j) 3 Lead-Plated Rods of Recall
k) a Rod of Detection
l) an Aluminum-Plated Rod of Probing
m) a Gold-Plated Rod of Disarming
n) a Short Wand of Drain Life (7 charges)
o) a Golden Staff of Healing (4 charges)
p) a Sycamore Staff of Speed (4 charges)
q) a Quartzite Ring of Confusion Resistance
r) Rusty Chain Mail [14]
s) a Fur Cloak of Stealth [3,+7] (+3 to stealth)
t) a Halberd (3d5) {good}
u) a Halberd (3d5)
v) a Mace (2d4)
w) a Bo Staff (1d11)

[Home Inventory - ]

a) 4 Cyan Potions of Speed
b) 2 Potions of Healing
c) a Potion of Restore Mana
d) 3 Chartreuse Potions of Enlightenment
e) 2 Scrolls of Remove Curse
f) The Incandescent Light of Edison (+3 to infravision)

[Home Inventory - ]

a) 4 Sky Blue Potions of Healing
b) 4 Red Potions of Restore Mana
c) 2 Light Green Potions of Resistance
d) 4 Scrolls titled "tue potuni" of Teleport Level
e) 4 Scrolls of Word of Recall
f) a Scroll titled "doesun ursat" of *Identify*
g) 2 Scrolls of Remove Curse {50% off}
h) 8 Scrolls of Enchant Armor
i) 7 Scrolls of Satisfy Hunger {25% off}
j) a Pearl Ring of Light and Darkness Resistance
k) Hard Studded Leather of Resistance (-1) [7,+15]
l) The Metal Cap of Thengel [3,+11] (+3)

[Home Inventory - ]

a) 4 Cyan Potions of Speed
b) 4 Sky Blue Potions of Healing
c) 5 Red Potions of Restore Mana
d) 2 Light Green Potions of Resistance
e) a Scroll of *Remove Curse*
f) an Amulet of Brilliance (+3) {uncursed}
g) The Chain Mail of Arvedui (-2) [14,+15] (+2)
h) The T-shirt 'I killed the GHB and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!' [1,+0]
i) a Small Leather Shield of Resistance [3,+11]
j) The Blade of Chaos 'Stormbringer' (6d6) (+16,+16) (+2) {cursed}

[Home Inventory - ]

a) 4 Hazy Potions of Boldness
b) a Cyan Potion of Speed
c) a Potion of Restore Mana
d) a Chartreuse Potion of Enlightenment
e) a Scroll titled "doesun ursat" of *Identify*

Sir Penguin
26-06-2002, 07:36:53
I love that T-shirt :).

Here's my old dump, just for fun:

Name : Aeric Age 117 STR: 18/49
Sex : Male Height 75 INT: 18/141
Race : Spectre Weight 104 WIS: 18/169
Class : Monk Social Class 1 DEX: 18/128
Magic : Death CON: 18/96
CHR: 18/50

+ Skill 49 Level 33 Max Hit Points 343
% Deadliness 184 Experience 578542 Cur Hit Points 343
+ To AC 97 Max Exp 578542 Max SP (Mana) 232
Base AC 18 Exp to Adv. 605000 Cur SP (Mana) 232
Gold 20766

Fighting : Superb Perception : Excellent Blows/Round : 5
Bows/Throw : Excellent Searching : Excellent Shots/Round : 1.0
Saving Throw: Chaos Rank Disarming : Chaos Rank Avg.Dam./Rnd: 58
Stealth : Superb Magic Device: Chaos Rank Infra-Vision: 50'

(Character Background)

Recall Depth: Level 36 (1800')

abcdefghijkl@
Acid : .............
Elec : .............
Fire : .............
Cold : ............+
Fear : .............
Shard : ......+......
Blind : .........+...
Nexus : .............

abcdefghijkl@
Speed : ..+...+.....+

abcdefghijkl@
Free Actn: ......+...+.+
SeeInvis.: .........+..+
SlwDigstn: ............+

You have defeated 11430 enemies.

[Virtues]

You are the living embodiment of Faith.
You are the living embodiment of Harmony.
You are the living embodiment of Temperance.
You are somewhat virtuous in Patience.
You are the living embodiment of Unlife.
You are the polar opposite of Honour.
You have strayed from the path of Valour.
You are the polar opposite of Compassion.

[Character Equipment]

a) (nothing)
b) a Short Bow of Velocity (x2) (+10,+18)
c) an Aquamarine Ring of Speed (+11)
d) a Ring of Skill (+21)
e) an Amulet of Brilliance (+3)
f) The Phial of Galadriel (+1 to searching)
g) The Leather Scale Mail 'Cargaurmen' (-1) [11,+20] (+2 to speed)
h) a Cloak of Aman [1,+25] (+2 to stealth)
i) (nothing)
j) The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [5,+10] (+2)
k) The Set of Leather Gloves 'Cambeleg' (+8,+8) [1,+15] (+2)
l) (nothing)

[Character Inventory]

a) 3 Books of Death Magic [Black Prayers] {25% off}
b) 3 Books of Death Magic [Black Mass] {75% off}
c) 2 Books of Death Magic [Black Channels]
d) 15 Puce Potions of Cure Critical Wounds {90% off}
e) 4 Sky Blue Potions of Healing {25% off}
f) 3 Red Potions of Restore Mana
g) 15 Scrolls of Phase Door
h) 5 Scrolls of Teleportation
i) 2 Lead-Plated Rods of Recall {@z9!*}
j) a Copper Rod of Detection {@z1!k!d!v}
k) a Bronze Rod of Healing {@z0!*}
l) a Rod of Acid Balls {@z2!k!d!v}
m) 3 Tungsten Rods of Lightning Balls {@z3!k!d!v}
n) a Staff of Perception (17 charges)
o) 7 Seeker Arrows (6d4) (+6,+6) (74/74) {@f1=g}

[Home Inventory - Morivant]

a) a Book of Death Magic [Black Prayers]
b) 27 Puce Potions of Cure Critical Wounds {90% off}
c) 4 Gold Potions of *Healing*
d) 2 Chartreuse Potions of Enlightenment
e) 9 Scrolls of Teleportation {50% off}
f) 6 Scrolls titled "doesun ursat" of *Identify* {50% off}
g) a Staff of Perception (9 charges)
h) 2 Staffs of Perception (2x 20 charges) {25% off}
i) a Turquoise Ring of Flames
j) a Pearl Ring of Light and Darkness Resistance
k) The Incandescent Light of Edison (+3 to infravision)
l) The Metal Scale Mail of Julian (-2) [15,+40] (+4)
m) The Leather Scale Mail 'Thalkettoth' (-1) [11,+25] (+3)
n) a Hard Leather Cap of Infravision [2,+1] (+5)
o) a Set of Leather Gloves of Power (+5,+1) [1,+7] (+5) {uncursed}
p) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots of Stealth [3,+7] (+2 to stealth)
q) 23 Sheaf Arrows (5d4) (+5,+7) (62/62)
r) 73 Sheaf Arrows (5d4) (+4,+6) (61/61)
s) 24 Sheaf Arrows (5d4) (+3,+7) (62/62)
t) 10 Iron Shots (4d2) (+0,+0) {@f1=g}
u) a Magical Figurine of a Great Wyrm of Law
v) a Magical Figurine of a Sky whale

[Home Inventory - Angwil]

a) a Ring of Skill (+19)

I actually made it up to level 34, but forgot to dump it.

SP

DaShi
26-06-2002, 12:53:26
Horrible challenge SP. ;) I don't have one. I just didn't have time for it. I tried to get my character up to level 15 last night, but at about clevel 4 I hit a trap that brought me down to dlevel 2, where the kobolds got me. So I just quit. :(

On another note: How long can a spector stay within the walls until he dies? I must have been travelling at least 20 turns in the wall at 0 hp until a giant kobold got me at the edge.

Capo W.
26-06-2002, 16:40:27
the challenge is over just as Aeric became survivable & productive.

Thanks for this one, SP. Etherealness was a revelation to me, and a fun one to play with.

Name : Aeric Age 117 STR: 11
Sex : Male Height 75 INT: 18
Race : Spectre Weight 104 WIS: 18/10
Class : Monk Social Class 1 DEX: 18/20
Magic : Death CON: 13
CHR: 9

+ Skill 9 Level 17 Max Hit Points 106
% Deadliness 122 Experience 5215 Cur Hit Points 106
+ To AC 36 Max Exp 5215 Max SP (Mana) 26
Base AC 8 Exp to Adv. 6380 Cur SP (Mana) 26
Gold 12570

Fighting : Good Perception : Excellent Blows/Round : 4
Bows/Throw : Fair Searching : Excellent Shots/Round : 0.83
Saving Throw: Superb Disarming : Superb Avg.Dam./Rnd: 20
Stealth : Superb Magic Device: Superb Infra-Vision: 50'

(Character Background)

Recall Depth: Level 10 (500')

abcdefghijkl@
Light : ...+.........
Dark : ...+.........
Blind : .............

abcdefghijkl@
Speed : ............+

abcdefghijkl@
Free Actn: .............

You have defeated 908 enemies.

[Virtues]

You are very virtuous in Faith.
You are virtuous in Harmony.
You are virtuous in Temperance.
You are somewhat virtuous in Unlife.
You are the polar opposite of Honour.
You are somewhat virtuous in Valour.
You are the polar opposite of Compassion.

[Character Equipment]

a) (nothing)
b) a Light Crossbow of Accuracy (x4) (+18,+8)
c) a Ring of Protection [+14]
d) a Pearl Ring of Light and Darkness Resistance
e) (nothing)
f) The Phial of Galadriel (+1 to searching)
g) a Padded Armour [4,+6]
h) (nothing)
i) (nothing)
j) a Metal Cap [3,+5]
k) a Set of Leather Gloves [1]
l) (nothing)

[Character Inventory]

b) a Cyan Potion of Speed
c) 2 Shimmering Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
d) 2 Puce Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
e) a Scroll titled "orgviv heplu" of Phase Door
f) 8 Scrolls titled "app he frifoo" of Word of Recall {25% off}
g) 2 Scrolls of Identify
h) a Copper-Plated Rod of Door/Stair Location
i) a Nickel-Plated Wand of Magic Missile
j) an Oak Staff of Object Location (22 charges)
k) an Oak Staff of Object Location
l) an Azurite Ring of Slow Digestion
m) Hard Leather Armour [6]
n) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots [3]
o) 18 Bolts (2d5) (+0,+0) (35/29)

[Home Inventory - Outpost]

a) a Book of Death Magic [Black Mass] {25% off}
b) a Potion of Restore Life Levels {25% off}
c) a Potion of Restore Intelligence {25% off}
d) a Potion of Restore Dexterity
e) 2 Scrolls of Enchant Armor {25% off}
f) a Large Metal Shield [8,+5]
g) The Main Gauche of the Paranoid (1d5) (+20,+10) (+3)

[Home Inventory - Telmora]

a) a Potion of Restore Charisma {90% off}
b) a Scroll of *Identify* {25% off}

MDA
26-06-2002, 17:30:02
I found that my armor class went up about 20 points when I ditched my leather armor. I put it back on and took it off again a couple of times, and got no "weight of your armor" message, but a huge increase in AC. So no torso armor for me!

Zangband.org is still down, so I couldn't look for an explanation there.

Sir Penguin
26-06-2002, 18:28:17
I was surprised one game when I got some artifact leathers [11, +25] and it raised my AC by six points :).

SP

The Mad Monk
26-06-2002, 20:57:24

Name : Aeric Age 117 Str: 10 11
Sex : Male Height 75 INT: 18
Race : Spectre Weight 104 WIS: 18/10
Class : Monk Social Class 1 DEX: 18/20
Magic : Death CON: 13
CHR: 9

+ Skill 7 Level 9 Max Hit Points 61
% Deadliness 114 Experience 741 Cur Hit Points 61
+ To AC 24 Max Exp 741 Max SP (Mana) 14
Base AC 0 Exp to Adv. 836 Cur SP (Mana) 14
Gold 283

Fighting : Fair Perception : Very Good Blows/Round : 2
Bows/Throw : Poor Searching : Very Good Shots/Round : 1.0
Saving Throw: Superb Disarming : Superb Avg.Dam./Rnd: 6
Stealth : Superb Magic Device: Superb Infra-Vision: 50'

(Character Background)

Recall Depth: Level 2 (100')

abcdefghijkl@
Blind : .............

abcdefghijkl@
Speed : .............

abcdefghijkl@
Free Actn: .............

You have defeated 1787 enemies.

[Virtues]

You are virtuous in Faith.
You are somewhat virtuous in Harmony.
You are somewhat virtuous in Temperance.
You are somewhat virtuous in Unlife.
You are an enemy of Honour.
You are somewhat virtuous in Valour.
You are a bitter enemy of Compassion.

[Character Equipment]

a) (nothing)
b) (nothing)
c) (nothing)
d) (nothing)
e) (nothing)
f) a Brass Lantern (with 2443 turns of light) {25% off}
g) (nothing)
h) (nothing)
i) (nothing)
j) (nothing)
k) (nothing)
l) (nothing)

[Character Inventory]

b) 6 Flasks of oil
c) an Oily Yellow Potion of Heroism
d) 2 Violet Potions of Cure Light Wounds
e) 3 Scrolls titled "orgviv heplu" of Phase Door
f) 3 Scrolls of Identify {25% off}
g) 10 Scrolls of Satisfy Hunger
h) a Tin Wand of Slow Monster (10 charges)
i) a Nickel-Plated Wand of Magic Missile (11 charges)
j) a Molybdenum Wand
k) a Robe [2]
l) Hard Leather Armour (-1) [6,+4]
m) Hard Leather Armour (-1) [6,+0]
n) a Cloak [1]
o) a Dagger (1d4) (+1,+3)
p) a Sabre (1d7) {cursed}
q) a Long Sword (2d5) (+3,+2)
r) a Shovel (1d2) (+0,+0) (+1)
s) a Sling (x2)
t) a Sling (x2)
u) 25 Bolts (2d5) (+0,+0)
v) 47 Iron Spikes

The Mad Monk
26-06-2002, 20:58:58
DID I MAKE IT? AM I IN???

MDA
26-06-2002, 22:12:29
looks like you had 3 minutes to spare. :)

Sean
26-06-2002, 22:17:26
63 minutes. GMT is an hour behind BST.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
27-06-2002, 00:26:52
Official announcement: the Challenge is over. Congrats to all who enetered. Looks like MDA is the winner, I'll update stuff when I get the time (flat out at work, I'm afraid).

MDA, get rolling up the new one, it's due next Wednesday, but I'll start it ASAP after Californian Monday morning if I get it sooner.

The Mad Monk
29-06-2002, 05:44:05
Originally posted by DaShi
Horrible challenge SP. ;) I don't have one. I just didn't have time for it. I tried to get my character up to level 15 last night, but at about clevel 4 I hit a trap that brought me down to dlevel 2, where the kobolds got me. So I just quit. :(

On another note: How long can a spector stay within the walls until he dies? I must have been travelling at least 20 turns in the wall at 0 hp until a giant kobold got me at the edge.

I'm not sure, but it could be "as long as you want". At the end of one battle, I was shocked to see my hps at zero, while not in a wall; I fully expected to see a death message on the next keystroke, but instead, my hps bounced back to one. I don't remember that ever happening with any other character, so perhaps spectres can survive at zero, and 'die' at -1, instead?

Sir Penguin
29-06-2002, 08:40:47
Zero is the minimum number of HP for a living character of any type, as far as I know. It could be that DaShi's character was regenerating HP at the same rate as it was losing them, but probably not for a level 4 guy (I haven't a clue).

SP

The Mad Monk
29-06-2002, 17:12:51
In that case, maybe "wall walking" dosen't cause further loss once the character hits zero...

DaShi
30-06-2002, 00:26:40
I think that wall walking takes a fraction of your current HP. So it approaches zero, but can never reach it.

Cumber
30-06-2002, 17:00:19
That would make sense. Otherwise wall walking damage would become negligable for high level characters.

Darkstar
01-07-2002, 09:18:10
Wall Walking takes 5% of your Maximum Hit Points under certain flavors, per tile. So wall walking while at 0 is impossible. It would kill you. I have lost Spectre characters like that.

I don't think we are using the same Angbands, despite using the same 'get it here' link...

Capo W.
01-07-2002, 16:49:14
Darkstar, if you lost a character wallwalking you are using the wrong version, or Zangband just doesnt run on your computer :p~~

in the 2.4.0 flavor wallwalking works like this:
It does reduce hitpoints by 5% of maxHP down to 0. The loss is always the same integer, with the exception of the last, which will always result in a drop to zero.
At 0, barely alive, the loss stops, and the character can wallwalk indefinitely. Or even activate a recall, which is a very nice survival strategy not available to anything but specters.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
01-07-2002, 19:33:33
There are two versions of wraithform.

One is the natural version, and you are immune to wall deaths with a naturally wraithlike character (ie. spectre).

There is a wraithform mutation, and I believe there are items with bestow wraithform. These are the second type, which is non-natural, and will kill the character.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
01-07-2002, 19:59:36
Oh, and the Leaderboard (http://www.geocities.com/qaj_stars/leaderboard.htm) has been updated.

MDA
01-07-2002, 20:21:33
Have you got the challenge - I got some strange message back from your ISP about how they'd been holding it for 24 hours and it hadn't been delivered (or was it my ISP)- something strange like that. Never happened to me before, so I don't know whether to resend or not.

Let me know.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
01-07-2002, 23:59:25
Nope, haven't got it yet. Check your PMs.