PDA

View Full Version : Retrospective heaven!

Lazarus and the Gimp
08-06-2002, 09:24:07
Fabulous days. All those brilliant bands I was into in the late 80's and early 90's, but only own on distorted cassette or increasingly battered vinyl, are releasing lovely CD retrospectives.

There's already been releases by The House of Love and Ride. Now there are big, meaty mementoes by The Jesus and Mary Chain (21 singles!) and Uncle Tupelo.

If anyone likes Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, they really need that Mary Chain CD. Imagine BRMC, but a lot better with a real sneering rock'n'roll cynicism.

What's more, all 4 releases I've mentioned highlight one of the golden rules of rock. Bands start out brilliant, and end up a bit pooh at the end.

Sean
08-06-2002, 10:14:35
I hate the J&MC version of Head On. It’'s just so dull.

*End Is Forever*
08-06-2002, 10:16:59
"The DJ never has it, J.A.M.C. - Automatic
If those were Roy's headphones, you'd bet he'd play "What Goes On"..."

Snapcase
08-06-2002, 21:02:55
"Retrospective", are we talking something other than a traditional Greatest Hits record?

Foetus
09-06-2002, 10:17:28
I don't believe there's another group in existence that has the ability to stir up such acutely passionate hatred in my soul than the Jesus and Mary chain. They were the cause of the first argument between myself and my wife when we first got together. She put the J&MC on her stereo, I told her to take it off before I put my foot through the stereo.

You can keep the House of Love and Ride too, though they don't cause as severe a reaction.

Lazarus and the Gimp
09-06-2002, 10:34:11
I was waiting for that post. It's the "Field of Dreams" scenario- "Mention the Mary Chain and Foetus will post".

House of Love and Ride both went completely shit after their first albums, but in both cases the first albums and early singles were great.

No matter. Those JMC singles are pure class, In fact, I think I'll go slap on "Sidewalking" right now.

Foetus
09-06-2002, 23:35:34
It's like a reflex reaction. Just reading their name gives me a tic.