PDA

View Full Version : Counterglow gaming cliques

Shining1
02-06-2002, 04:56:18
What types of games does you play and how?

For instance, I'm most likely to post in any thread related to strategy or RPGs. FPS are fun, but less appealing given their intensive training nature.

And I don't own a console, though that might change.

Sean
02-06-2002, 07:21:40
I dabble in all of them.

Funkodrom
02-06-2002, 12:38:39
Just LSN and Pro Evolution Soccer really at the moment.

Shining1
02-06-2002, 12:46:21
Why is it called pro-evolution?:)

Funkodrom
02-06-2002, 12:49:20
I have no idea. The series went:

International Superstar Soccer
International Superstar Soccer Professional
ISS Pro Evolution
ISS Pro Evolution 2
Pro Evolution Soccer

Shining1
02-06-2002, 12:55:59
Just has strange atheist connotations that don't seem to mean anything:).

Football is a religious exercise...:)

The Shaker
02-06-2002, 12:57:43
Yeah, you pray they don't score.

Shining1
02-06-2002, 13:00:54
It almost worked:).

Beta1
02-06-2002, 17:09:38
pretty much everything but mostly RPG, strategy (mostly turn based) FPS and anything original starwars.

Will shortly be doing the first CG Combat Mission battle report. Once I've finishing massacring RCs armor

Guy
03-06-2002, 12:09:03
TBS is where my main interests lie, though I also like flight/space simulators. LSN is the only thing I'm playing regularly right now, though. No time for anything else.

Venom
03-06-2002, 12:23:28
I'll talk about any genre of games. I've played games in all of them that I seriously enjoy. I don't get much console action anymore though. But I have been mulling the idea of getting an X-Box.

Sean
03-06-2002, 12:26:47
Originally posted by Funkodrom
I have no idea. The series went:

International Superstar Soccer
International Superstar Soccer Professional
ISS Pro Evolution
ISS Pro Evolution 2
Pro Evolution Soccer Yes, and they tried to hijack it with ISS and ISS 2, which are crap.

OldWarrior_42
03-06-2002, 12:56:18
Mainly... RPG's and strategy. Real time or turn based. Makes no difference. I suck in all of them , now. Must be an age thing. :-P~~

Been playing the Dungeon Siege demo the last couple of days and I finished my ten percent of the game , and now I have to freakin go and buy it. Because I need to know what happens. :)

I still have all my consoles and the games for them. Havent touched them though, in about 3 years. X box does have potential. We'll see.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
03-06-2002, 15:56:26
RPG and Strategy - thinking games. Though occasionally I dabble in FPS. System Shock 2 would be a good example of the type of FPS that appeals to me (one with RPG elements... go figure!)

chagarra
04-06-2002, 01:55:14
TBS .... As OW observed, with age reflexes slow down so that all you have left is turn based strategy, where you get time to correct your stuff-ups.

Shining1
04-06-2002, 05:33:13
I should have put more options in the poll then.

Tom and Qaj - why aren't you playing Morrowind then? (Given you both have computers that are fucking a man...)

Sean
04-06-2002, 08:38:35
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
RPG and Strategy - thinking games. Though occasionally I dabble in FPS. System Shock 2 would be a good example of the type of FPS that appeals to me (one with RPG elements... go figure!) Not an FPS. Play it like an FPS and you die. I categorise it in my own special sub-genre of Looking Glass Games. These are first-person games where, if you don’t play your character (ROLE PLAY) you die. They have slightly dodgy models and fantastic sound effects.

Tizzy
04-06-2002, 14:34:05
TBS and console pretty much covers it

The Shaker
04-06-2002, 18:17:51
Everything and anything, i'm easy.

Funkodrom
04-06-2002, 20:14:44
Oh and now I found I can play Baldurs gate in a window I'll probably play that more. Had a strange thing earlier where the 7 key stuck down and I couldn't select my other party members. Was tough remembering where I was, haven't played it for a couple of months.

My first computer RPG. :D

OldWarrior_42
05-06-2002, 03:29:45
Tom and Qaj - why aren't you playing Morrowind then? (Given you both have computers that are fucking a man...)

You are right. This computer does kick ass and would handle Morrowind quite easily.

But I just went and purchased Dungeon Siege, today. So give it time.

I have 4 other games I wish to get, as well.... once they are all out.

Stuff costs money , you know. :) Although I did save ten bucks on DS with a coupon from my magazine .

By the way.... the four other games in case you were wondering..... in no particular order, except maybe as they are released... Warcraft III.... Age of Mythology..... Morrowind.... Rise of Nations....... and a couple other games that I may or may not bother with.

Plus, you never know what other titles might come out, that you may have not been anticipating, but find you like it and decide you want it. Thats what happened to me with Dungeon Siege. It wasn't an expected purchase a little while ago.

Goob
05-06-2002, 16:32:21
I used to be a TBS/Wargame snob who dabbled in FPS with friends at work. (It is hard being a snob when you aren't very good by the way.)

Then I tried Age of Kings recently and am just loving that. I'd like to play a good RPG, but nothing that is out there really interests me. I should try some demo's though I guess.

Sean
05-06-2002, 16:37:38
MORROWIND!

Funkodrom
05-06-2002, 17:53:14
Originally posted by Goob
I used to be a TBS/Wargame snob who dabbled in FPS with friends at work. (It is hard being a snob when you aren't very good by the way.)

Then I tried Age of Kings recently and am just loving that. I'd like to play a good RPG, but nothing that is out there really interests me. I should try some demo's though I guess.

I'd never tried an RPG before Baldurs Gate II but that seems pretty good. Human interaction is a bit limited (dunno what it's like in relation to other games, I get the impression it's one of the better games in that context), so you don't actually really get to role play as such. The NPCs you spend a lot of time with are interesting and all very individual and sometimes very funny.

You can find cool stuff and fight monsters. You can talk to animals as well but none of them have anything to say to you. I keep trying on the off chance of a really talkative cow or rabbit. The plots are really good though, the story drags you in fairly quickly once you read the background in the manual (brings you up to speed if you haven't played the first game).

The control system is very complicated and takes a lot of getting used to. First game for a long time I've actually needed to do the tutorial for - might just be because I have never played anything in this genre before so I have no context as to what the controls should be or where to find anything. The character development, design, and management stuff is really tricky at first as well. Especially the magic system. You start off with options for like a billion spells and no idea which ones are good etc. It doesn't take too long to get used to things once you get started though, the first few hours are really tough but after that you are pretty much there.

It's a lot better than I thought a computer RPG would be anyway. It sucks you in because the stories are so good that they make you persevere and learn the controls etc. because you want to find out what happens next. Assuming the person who's disks you are using to play doesn't go to New Zealand for a month and lock the disks in their room of course. :D

The Shaker
05-06-2002, 18:12:37
room wasn't locked :p

Funkodrom
05-06-2002, 18:32:01
Really? I tried it to look for the CDs and it didn't open.

Bugger.

The Shaker
05-06-2002, 19:10:08
push harder :p

Funkodrom
05-06-2002, 19:52:07
That's what you say to all the boys.

Sean
05-06-2002, 20:01:37
I like Morrowind’s interaction. It is pretty basic, a lot of the old chat-to-everybody trick, but fun. Especially when you start to discover subtle differences in what people tell you depending on what faction you belong to.

On the down side, the game just crashed to desktop when I tried to sell two jewels I stole from a slave trader.

Shining1
05-06-2002, 20:17:00
Morrowind is basically an FPS with roleplaying aspects - basically. At least compared to anything else. But it WORKS:).

Shining1
05-06-2002, 20:18:47
Er, I mean the system works. Morrowind often doesn't... :(

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
05-06-2002, 20:37:22
Shining - see OW42's answer for why I'm not playing Morrowind, but take out the kick ass computer capable of playing it (my work computer would be sweet, but I doubt the'd let me take it home for the weekend), and buying Dungeon Siege. Strangely, I recently was given enough money to go buy a full-priced new release, but once I do that I'll have nothing much left over, and that situation might persist for a few months yet, so I'm leery at blowing my entire stash of money right now. Maybe in a month or two when the price comes down a little...

Shining1
05-06-2002, 20:46:22
Whipped:D.

Sean
05-06-2002, 20:51:55
Originally posted by Shining1
Morrowind is basically an FPS with roleplaying aspects - basically. At least compared to anything else. But it WORKS:). Only if you think the Party system is the best way to role-play. Which it is not. And I spend most of my time in the third-person view.

Funkodrom
06-06-2002, 08:59:29
You can play morrowind in First Person?

MDA
06-06-2002, 14:58:44
I've found I get better framerate in first-person - but if you hold down TAB you get a mouse-controllable vanity view. :)

I've been taking screenshots as I acquire new clothes and armor.
Glass armor looks pretty funky.l

Funkodrom
06-06-2002, 15:26:23
First person makes it much more interesting. That didn't get mentioned in the "What makes it different from any other RPG" summary.

Funkodrom
06-06-2002, 15:34:05
OK I've read a few reviews now, this sounds really good.

Major things that sound good...

Open ended, you can kill absolutely anyone (except one guy) and it's first person and actually has decent graphics.

Things the reviews don't tell me...

How do you move around? Keyboard and mouse like a FPS or point and click like a RTS or something like Baldurs Gate? Combat seems to be key presses to do different attacks, sounds OK.

Funkodrom
06-06-2002, 15:40:33
AND it crashes every 15 mins to half an hour which is about how long I ever play a game for anyway. Er... maybe that's not such a great thing. I've read that in every review so far though. (4)

Funkodrom
06-06-2002, 15:41:05
Oh and is there any requirement to have even heard of the previous games let alone played them?

Funkodrom
06-06-2002, 15:47:10
Oh and if there are animals can you kill them? What about attacking stuff like trees and carts or burning down villages if you are pissed off?

Venom
06-06-2002, 16:10:53
Yeah can you kill the animals and use them to feed your group?

Sean
06-06-2002, 17:02:13
Mike: I have only had two crashes to desktop. Once while selling something to a dealer in Daedric weapons, the other when fighting a woman who I found in some random mine. It is frustrating, but if you remember to save often it shouldn’t be a problem.

You move around like in an FPS, yes. Even in the third-person view.

It is pretty self-contained; if you didn’t play either o fht eprevious two you will catch up soon enough. It is more about knowing what the races are and stuff.

You can kill animals, and you can eat the bits you get from the corpse. Often they aren’t good for you, though.

You can attack a tree of a cart, but it won’t do any damage to it. Buildings are, AFAIK, indestructable.

And the night sky is gorgeous.

MDA
06-06-2002, 17:07:15
You only get one character - controls are WASD and F to ready weapon R to prepare a spell

number keys can be mapped as quickeys, which can be handy when you've got 20 different kinds of potions in your inventory and only want a healing potion.

It would be nice if you could sort potions into groups by their effects.

Sean
06-06-2002, 17:09:15
It would be nice fi you could sort your inventory. I want a ‘stuff I am going to sell’ section. Like those Boots of Blinding Speed that are worth 500 (WTF? They make you BLIND).

MDA
06-06-2002, 17:24:49
Morrowind was just released for Xbox!!!

I thought a good night-eye spell might permit you to use those boots.

Funkodrom
06-06-2002, 17:30:29
That sounds pretty good then. I might get it... When you say about the races are they standard Tolkienesque / D&D races?

Sean
06-06-2002, 17:39:25
Ish. You can Orc, Dark Elf, High Elf, Wood Elf, Breton (human magic users), Nord, Redguard (warriors), Imperial, Khajit (jaguar-men), or Argonian (reptiles).

Funkodrom
06-06-2002, 17:54:25
No Dwarves or halflings? Not much bother, I never like them anyway but they are quite standard. Different character model bases though I guess. :D

I'm tempted by this now. Have to sort my finances out first.

Sean
06-06-2002, 17:56:08
19.99 if you can find it in Woolies.

Funkodrom
06-06-2002, 18:33:14
Bargain... OK I'll get it.

Sean
06-06-2002, 18:58:00
Or online at Woolies :clueless:.

Fistandantilus
06-06-2002, 23:21:15
Originally posted by Sean
19.99 if you can find it in Woolies.

That cheap? :eek:

Sean
06-06-2002, 23:35:44
Actually it is 17.99 until tomorrow.

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/common/product.jhtml?pid=20001538

Shining1
07-06-2002, 04:54:50
Move around:
FPS style - WASD + mouselook

Combat: Click and hold for backswing, release to swing. You get three different attack styles (overhead chop, side slash and thrust), and depending on your weapon you can be L33T and use them all or just set the game to always use the best attack.

I'm positive that I've played it on my Athlon 1100 + GeForce2 Pro + newest Detonator drivers + Win98SE machine for periods of perhaps 4-6 hours at a time and it hasn't crashed once. I had one nice crash at the start, then I updated my drivers and it's worked fine since.

And the only things I know about Daggerfall are:
* Massively buggy
* Falling through the floor

Morrowind has quite a few graphics glitchs of various kinds if you push the engine to it's limits, but if you just play normally things work fine.

Graphics are about the best I have seen in any RPG or FPS game - it's somewhat debatable whether I am the right person to judge if Morrowind has the all time greatest graphics ever but they certainly do the job well.

You can kill anyone in the game (I haven't gotten far enough in it that I've found anyone key to the plot who is wimpy enough to kill by accident, etc), but there are distinct consequences depending on how you do it. The best way is to taunt them into a fight so they attack you first. Otherwise the police will come after you and steal your pants (true story - ask Cumber:D).

Shining1
07-06-2002, 04:57:26
Damn threads with more than one page. Anyway, what Sean said:D.