PDA

View Full Version : Article: Episode II a new hope by Shining1

Nav
30-05-2002, 21:18:15
Shining1 reviews Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones!

[Read the article here] (http://www.counterglow.net/article.php?id=attackoftheclones)

Funkodrom
30-05-2002, 22:14:23
I didn't find the text confusing.

Obi Wan trained Anakin but Yoda didn't do the initial training like he does for the kids in Ep II before they got taken under the wing of a Jedi as a padawan. Maybe if Anakin had joined early enough to take Yoda's teaching fully he'd have turned out Ok. And although Anakin references stuff Yoda's told him that doesn't necessarily mean he trained him.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
31-05-2002, 00:14:12
I thought the movie was a fair bit better than the first one (but then, what movie wasnt? Maybe Plan 9 From Outer Space, but that'd be about it). However, a really good movie is one where you never contemplate that the people in it are actors on a stage. It should all just come across as natural. Unfortunately, I caught myself contemplating exactly that and cringing at some of the worst atrocities of wooden acting.

It's also true that the movie could have been the same length, had all the important bits out of The Phantom Menace spliced onto the start, and had some less useful scenes cut out of it (say, the trip through the Foundry), and still worked, maybe even better than it did, since the next one has to somehow bridge the gap between the "present" and episode 4 all by itself, wheras two films would let you explain it better and cover more elapsed time, though much of that would be the reign of the Empire. Still, I'd like to see some of it, I think it's important enough to the story.

I'm also surprised that Shining1 didn't mention all the New Zealanders that were in it :D I was a little shocked to see Cliegg Lars played by has-been Jack Thompson, too. Very strange.

Lady_of_Chicken
31-05-2002, 00:36:57
So I didn't miss much?

Shining1
31-05-2002, 03:53:20
Qaj: The writing force is not with me at the moment... my Bros were great, but since they were onscreen for about 5 minute each, I didn't want to crow too much.

Donapata: Nope, again, this movie could have been summaried by a few lines of scrolling text - there's just a lot more useful stuff in it than the first one, though.

Heh. It doesn't matter - after all, all three prequels get condensed into a single paragraph at the start of the first movie:).

FunkyFingers
31-05-2002, 08:55:57
I agree with most of what you've said, Ep2 was " A New Hope" and was "proper Star Wars" for me. However, it also had another bonus for me - it improves Ep1 as a film. It gives Ep1 more of a sense of where it was, and why George set it up the way he did.

What Ep2 does also is put Ep1 more into perspective. The way Palpetine maniupulated the whole situation to get the feeble Gungans in to a position of power on the senate where he could influence them directly - using Jar Jar as Palpetine's pawn in the senate in Ep2 was quite ironic I thought.
Ep2 and the appearance of the fantastic Count Dookoo also explains why Lucas was so apparently at ease with killing off Darth Maul in Ep1. We all thought Darth Maul was "The Lick" and what a waste it was, but now it all makes sense. Maul was a diversionary tactic by Palpetine to cover up the fact that Dookoo was emerging truely as Sideous's sidekick. Which leads me to my next Star Wars Conspiracy:

Count Dookoo is Darth Vader.

Anakin will still be far too young by the end of Ep3 to become Darth, who is older. and, he's too short. And, well we've already seen what a master of the dark side Dookoo really is. All this stuff with Anakin is just a diversion.

The thing that I really still can't explain though is what C3-P0 was doing working on Uncle Owens farm? Surely C3-P0 should have remembered being there when he returns in Ep4? Of course, R2-D2's presence can be explained - when they land on Tatooine in Ep4, Artoo knows exactly where to go immediately and berates Threepio for going to wrong way - well of course he did, he's been there before, but how come Threepio has no recollection?

I know I said I was going to write a review of Ep2 myself, and I still will when I've truely had enough time to chew the cud on it, but for me, it was a good Star Wars.

Shining1
01-06-2002, 04:53:18
Funky: Ep 1 for me is still Jar Jar, Padme in horrible white makeup, and Jar Jar. It won't be gracing my DVD collection. That was kinda my point about Ep 2 and 'The story starts here' - you don't need Ep 1 since none of it is essential for the main storyline.

And midi-chlorians, and roger roger, Jar Jar.

Funkodrom
01-06-2002, 07:54:11
Originally posted by FunkyFingers
The thing that I really still can't explain though is what C3-P0 was doing working on Uncle Owens farm? Surely C3-P0 should have remembered being there when he returns in Ep4? Of course, R2-D2's presence can be explained - when they land on Tatooine in Ep4, Artoo knows exactly where to go immediately and berates Threepio for going to wrong way - well of course he did, he's been there before, but how come Threepio has no recollection?

Oh my...

Venom
01-06-2002, 12:41:43
Because 3PO began drinking heavily and his memory isn't what it used to be.

darlinkell
03-06-2002, 01:22:00
maybe Episode 3 will remedy that? mabye they have to reformat C3PO or something? if so, then that would take care of why he doesnt remember? =)

FunkyFingers
03-06-2002, 09:33:15
Maybe Uncle Owen took him to Anchorhead and had his memory erased?
Come to think of it, Owen and Beru must have erased their memories of ever having owned C3-P0 at the same time...

Venom
03-06-2002, 12:04:41
It looks like a whole lot of characters forgot a whole lot of things.

FunkyFingers
04-06-2002, 11:46:47
What was my point? I can't remember...

Goob
04-06-2002, 16:30:52
Owen and Beru must have erased their memories of ever having owned C3-P0 at the same time...

I assume that C3-P0 will have some of his memory erased either as normal ops procedure, or by the fledgling rebels to protect the fact that Luke was left on Tatooine.

As far Owen and Beru, not recognising C3-PO my assumption on this is that Droids are so ubiquitous that they just didn't recognise this gold plated droid 20-30 years later. Would any here recognise a car that you had 20 years ago, especially if then it was in an unfinished state and now it was all decked out and chrome plated?

Venom
04-06-2002, 18:18:33
You damn right I'd recognize my ride. Okay maybe not but still. The annoying voice is one of a kind.

Nav
04-06-2002, 18:53:17
Originally posted by Goob
As far Owen and Beru, not recognising C3-PO my assumption on this is that Droids are so ubiquitous that they just didn't recognise this gold plated droid 20-30 years later.Maybe they did recognise them but did not reveal it.

DaShi
05-06-2002, 01:30:24
Originally posted by Nav
Maybe they did recognise them but did not reveal it.

Nah! All droids look alike.

Cumber
05-06-2002, 03:04:05
Except that C3PO isn't a standard model droid, he was built from spare parts by Anakin. Maybe built from spare standard model parts but still, you'd expect him to have a fair few distinctive differences.

Which does explain why a protocol droid is so damn irritating. :)

FunkyFingers
05-06-2002, 08:06:14
I think The Bearded One is going to have to do quite a lot of plot-knitting for Ep3... There's a lot to sort out!